Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will diesel truck stain my white camper?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Will diesel truck stain my white camper?

I was dead set on getting an ecoboost, but now im having second thoughts...considering getting a powerstroke again

Anyways...ive got a couple buddies with diesels with tuners on them and when they mash the gas obviously a big black smoke cloud pours out.

What about without a tuner? Does black smoke still come out?

I could care less about the black smoke my concern is what its going to do to the side of my 35' white camper! There hard enough to clean, i can only imagine what that black smoke would do to the side of it?

I guess my question is, without a tuner do they still smoke under acceleration? Also will it stain the side of my camper?

Thanks
Old 01-17-2013, 12:34 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

Stock diesel doesn't smoke.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 PM

Thank you.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:54 PM
GIGGITY

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Depends what engine. A 6.4 Or 6.7 won't. But a 6.0 will leave a little something eventually. And a 7.3 a little quicker.

Don't change the exhaust either and that will help. If it does start leaving soot eventually is buy an exhaust cutout that would dump it under the truck and leave it there instead of down the side of the camper.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:40 PM

Im deciding between a 2013 f250 6.7 and a 2013 f150 ecoboost.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 35 ft Camper

Originally Posted by 2002silverex
Im deciding between a 2013 f250 6.7 and a 2013 f150 ecoboost.
although the ecoboost has impressive tow capablilty, it may be a little small for a 35' trailer. You don't say how much it weighs but 35' has to be heavy, especially when you load it with all your stuff. JMHO, but buy the diesel.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:27 PM

Received 127 Likes on 99 Posts

After all the positive talks about the Ecoboost?? LOL!!!! You can honestly never have to much truck in my opinion. Running the diesel stock you should have no problems. If you decide to throw a tune and exhaust then you will be as they say" Rolling Coal" just keep a good coat of wax on the trailer and keep up on cleanings and you will be fine. I will suggest if you are getting the Superduty to get the F350. You get much more truck for just a little bit more $$$. Either way as long as it's a FORD you can't go wrong!!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:44 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by maxpat82
Stock diesel doesn't smoke.
Yes it does.

And to answer the OP's question, yes it will stain. It's not too bad on fiberglass, but any plastic or rubber will be a PITA to clean. Make sure to keep it well waxed, which will help to get the soot off more easily.

Soot comes off with a little elbow grease and purple power cleaner or super clean. A magic eraser works too. Cleaner wax will also take it off of any waxable surface and the PVC rail caps on the corners.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:55 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by EcoboostKev
After all the positive talks about the Ecoboost?? LOL!!!! You can honestly never have to much truck in my opinion. Running the diesel stock you should have no problems. If you decide to throw a tune and exhaust then you will be as they say" Rolling Coal" just keep a good coat of wax on the trailer and keep up on cleanings and you will be fine. I will suggest if you are getting the Superduty to get the F350. You get much more truck for just a little bit more $$$. Either way as long as it's a FORD you can't go wrong!!
Yea, I know they are making some light-weight campers to tow with 1/2 tons, but they still have to be heavy for a light-weight pick-up.

And I'm not sold on the durability of those ecoboosts. Not sure how long the motor will last if you really use it as a workhorse. Time will tell.

If it's a standard camper, get the diesel. My friend uses his Silverado 3500 dually on his 36' Cyclone toy hauler with double slider. It pulls it no problem, but a 1/2 ton wouldn't move it. I normally clean and wax the camper for him every few years and it sucks, but if you wax it every spring and fall, it wouldn't be bad. Well, relatively speaking. Waxing a camper kind of sucks no matter what.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM

I'm still leaning toward ecoboost but there are zero incentives or rebates on them right now whereas 3/4 tons there are!!! My heads spinning!!!

Quick Reply: Will diesel truck stain my white camper?