Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why F150 vs F250 or more?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:03 AM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Why F150 vs F250 or more?

Although I plan to use my F150 for towing, my towing needs are somewhat limited and well within the abilities of my 2.7L Ecoboost.

But, I have been surprised about the number of posts involving attempts to try to pull huge loads with new F150's (all configurations).

For people with big trailers and large cargo needs, it seems like a F250/350 might be an "easier" option than tricking out a 3.5L EB to tow as much as possible.

What am I missing?

(Note - I know people with existing trucks are in a different boat. My post is really about new buyers).
Old 10-29-2016, 08:49 AM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

I towed for 3 seasons a very large load for the F150, it did it well, no issues at all with the truck. That said when I purchased my new 350 DRW, that heavy load for the 150 is barely noticible behind the 350. The stability of this truck vs the 150 would be worth it alone, even without the power difference.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:33 AM
Beer, Boats, and Trucks.

Received 603 Likes on 457 Posts

I think you'll see that those people tow those heavy loads but do it very infrequently. They can enjoy the nimbleness of a half ton year round and still be able to do those handful of trailer runs throughout the year. Just my thought
The following users liked this post:
UncleFester (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Lots of dudes want to park their pickup in their too-small garage and close the door to keep out the buggers. But they want a SuperCrew with all the toys. F-150 SuperCrew can be had with a very short 5.5' bed that will fit in the garage. SuperDuty pickups don't offer a really-short bed, so the dude cannot close the garage door with the CrewCab pickup inside the garage. But they also want a full-size travel trailer with lots of rattling-around room in the trailer when camping.

Properly equipped for comfort, the F-150 makes a nice commuter car that will fit in the garage with the door closed. You cannot say the same thing about a SuperDuty. especially if their garage was designed for the typical 18-foot sedan instead of a 20 to 22 ft long pickup trailer hauler. So they compromise by not buying enough truck with enough payload capacity for their needs.
Old 10-29-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

A lot of people buy an F-150 having no clue as to its true towing capacity, hook up a too-heavy trailer, and then get on the forum with their issues to learn they made a mistake.
The following users liked this post:
UncleFester (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

I bought (and ordered) my F150HD specifically for the weight of the fifth wheel that was going to purchase (had a TT before I bought the truck). It lived up to what it was built to do without question. After 4 years of heavy hauling the truck was starting to age. It wasn't failing; but I knew if I kept it in the long run I'd have to drop coin into it to keep it where it needed to be.

At 4 years old and still just shy of 100k km it was in the sweet spot for trade in value so I made the jump to my 2016 F350 SRW PSD.

Towing is not even comparable, the PSD is a beast. Hauls my fifth wheel with ease and runs at 11.5 MPG when doing so. My Eco got anywhere from 7.5 to 9 or so. Big difference. It's also built to haul weight and doing so will not prematurely wear any components.

Day in and day out though as my daily drive I'd opt for my Eco any day over the PSD. MUCH better fuel mileage and an infinitely more comfortable ride.

I wish I could have kept both trucks to be frank, but it wasn't in the cards.

In a LOT of cases people get into these F150's and their millions of possible build combos (or buying a lot truck) and end up with a rig WAY over capabilities and then try an justify it and fudge the numbers. Those are the ones that end up trading a year old truck and getting raped for it.

The F150 goes from absolute tow beast builds to glorified grocery getters. The trick is to do your research and try and not get in over your head.
The following 2 users liked this post by ecobeest:
Ricktwuhk (10-29-2016), UncleFester (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by ecobeest
I bought (and ordered) my F150HD specifically for the weight of the fifth wheel that was going to purchase (had a TT before I bought the truck). It lived up to what it was built to do without question. After 4 years of heavy hauling the truck was starting to age. It wasn't failing; but I knew if I kept it in the long run I'd have to drop coin into it to keep it where it needed to be.

At 4 years old and still just shy of 100k km it was in the sweet spot for trade in value so I made the jump to my 2016 F350 SRW PSD.

Towing is not even comparable, the PSD is a beast. Hauls my fifth wheel with ease and runs at 11.5 MPG when doing so. My Eco got anywhere from 7.5 to 9 or so. Big difference. It's also built to haul weight and doing so will not prematurely wear any components.

Day in and day out though as my daily drive I'd opt for my Eco any day over the PSD. MUCH better fuel mileage and an infinitely more comfortable ride.

I wish I could have kept both trucks to be frank, but it wasn't in the cards.

In a LOT of cases people get into these F150's and their millions of possible build combos (or buying a lot truck) and end up with a rig WAY over capabilities and then try an justify it and fudge the numbers. Those are the ones that end up trading a year old truck and getting raped for it.

The F150 goes from absolute tow beast builds to glorified grocery getters. The trick is to do your research and try and not get in over your head.
Agreed with this completely, all but daily driver part. My 350 DRW is just as nice to drive daily my 150 and daily mpg around town is about the same +/- one mpg.
Old 10-29-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
A lot of people buy an F-150 having no clue as to its true towing capacity, hook up a too-heavy trailer, and then get on the forum with their issues to learn they made a mistake.
To be fair, the media does a good job at convincing uninformed buyers that the truck is capable of doing some pretty incredible things, like pull 12k pounds with no issue. Not saying that makes it right, but when the ecoboost came out I remember quite a few commercials of it pulling enormous trees up logging roads, etc.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:17 PM

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
To be fair, the media does a good job at convincing uninformed buyers that the truck is capable of doing some pretty incredible things, like pull 12k pounds with no issue. Not saying that makes it right, but when the ecoboost came out I remember quite a few commercials of it pulling enormous trees up logging roads, etc.
Very true.

Didn't Toyota have a Tundra pull th space shuttle?
Old 10-29-2016, 10:30 PM

Received 1,287 Likes on 903 Posts

TV commercials have shown trucks pulling heavy loads for years. Here is a Chevy pulling 187 tons.

And a 747