Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't ford calculate payload, on the build website?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Why doesn't ford calculate payload, on the build website?

It seems easy enough. Weigh everything and based of packages and add-ons, then have the payload listed at the end? This is important information, I am surprised that Ford wouldn't feel liable, if someone over weighted their vehicle and crashed? People hear 12,2000lbs and lots of payload and assume they are okay.
The following users liked this post:
Ronski (10-13-2016)
Old 10-13-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

With all the packages and options the list would be way to long to publish. That is why is is provided on the sticker of each vehicle.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM

Not talking about a list, just have it on the build site. There is the fleet information, but that doesn't seem to answer all my questions. It would be nice to know this stuff on researching. Asking a dealer the payload on a specific vehicle is a pain the butt, their head's blow up and they want you to come in. I pray for the day I can just order one on Amazon and have it here in 2 days, then deal with one of those guys. Why am I paying someone to help me, if I know more than they do...
PcLtd291 (03-24-2021)
Old 10-13-2016, 04:25 PM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by solarity
Not talking about a list, just have it on the build site. There is the fleet information, but that doesn't seem to answer all my questions. It would be nice to know this stuff on researching. Asking a dealer the payload on a specific vehicle is a pain the butt, their head's blow up and they want you to come in. I pray for the day I can just order one on Amazon and have it here in 2 days, then deal with one of those guys. Why am I paying someone to help me, if I know more than they do...
I agree this would be very helpful to buyers. If the number on the door lamb of the truck is a calculated estimate (I.e. Base truck weight + weight of all options, subtracted from the GVWR), then it would be fairly simple. If the payload sticker is actual scaled weight of the finished truck subtracted from GVWR, then there would be issue of the calculated payload on the website not matching the finished truck.

But unfortunately, the main issue is that Ford (and all other truck manufacturers) are more concerned with making profit than ensuring each truck sold truly meets the buyers towing needs. They make a lot of money on those extra options and higher trim levels that easy away at payload. Also, this tactic is leading to multiple truck sales. I have read of several people on different forums buying a truck, finding out it didn't meet towing needs shortly thereafter. Then trading it in on another new truck with a higher payload.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:27 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

I agree it shouldn't be too difficult.

It has a "max payload" listed on the build site. You'd think it could just subtract each option/package as you add them. then have an "as built" payload at the end summary.

Right now, your best bet is to take the max payload they list and subtract weight (from the fleet brochure) of the options that show up in the summary after you "build" it online. But I have no idea how accurate that will be.

also, check out TooManyVehicles' spreadsheet here for the real-world payload of a vehicle similar to what you want.

Last edited by SixShooter14; 10-13-2016 at 04:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

I'd say that if your that worried about payload landing within a few hundred pounds of where your expecting then you might be better off with a f250 or ordering the HDPP f-150.

I ordered the 2.7 with payload package tow package tow mirrors etc. towing my 7200 pound TT I feel like it does good for 1/2 ton but if I didn't have a 70 mile round trip commute I'd go for a f250
Ricktwuhk (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 02:51 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Because it will tell prospective buyers that payload was below what they thought it might be and depress sales...

99 percent of buyers don't understand Payload properly anyway.
Velosprout (10-15-2016)
Old 10-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I think it would be quite difficult to program the site to build the payload based upon options. First, it is amazing how many little things affect payload that you wouldn't think about, like two-tone paint, tow mirrors, and the inverter outlets, tire selections, wheel selections, 6-passenger instead of front buckets/console, leather vs. cloth vs vinyl, etc. The number of potential options between the XL, XLT, Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch, and Limited, Sport, etc, with just engine, gearing, 2 or 4 wheel drive; the options are too many to accurately and easily build a payload build site.

Even if they did build the site, as the build progresses throughout the year, the parts may come in from multiple subcontractors and two trucks with the same built constructed in different times of the same production year or at KC instead of Dearborn might well have different weights of parts. Also, the parts and their weights are likely change during the production year, either due to upgrades, recalled parts, or mid-year redesigns.

The different specifications for Canadian and US delivered trucks would cause different multiple payload build figures results also, and California spec trucks would likely have lower payload.

Last edited by Velosprout; 10-16-2016 at 01:24 AM.
solarity (10-17-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

If Ford can calculate the different costs on their website of all the different option variations, they could easily calculate remaining available payload within +/- 1% which would take into account supplier changes throughout the production year. They could even accurately publish available payload ranges for each level of trim and configuration, but there is simply no desire on the part of Ford. Ford only wants to publish one number, the 3,200 lb payload/12,200 tow capacity for the 2X2, short box regular cab XL that nobody buys. 95% of buyers don't realize the truck they bought does not have the capabilities published in the brochures until after they have bought the trailer to tow with their brand new truck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Barristersteve:
Ronski (10-17-2016), TooManyVehicles (10-19-2016)
Old 10-17-2016, 11:59 AM

I do admit it seems sad we buy into this propaganda, from what I heard they removed bumpers, stereo system, etc. To get the payload up to that much. I know a vehicle is a bad place to put over 40,000, but I still want one. Granted with non of the crazy expensive options people opt for.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't ford calculate payload, on the build website?