Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who Tows More Than Max Tow??

Old 10-11-2014, 01:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Who Tows More Than Max Tow??

Just curious. I pretty much stay pretty close to or under the Tow ratings of my truck these days but say 25 years ago max tow to me meant well what ever you felt comfortable with and sometimes not so comfy . I have noticed the 3/4 ton trucks on the road exceed max tow ratings fairly often but often wander if someone actually would change truck brands just because one had a 400 pound higher Tow Capicity . How many of you would go over the rating of your truck
Tow capacity if needed?? and how much more would you consider ??
500 , 1000 , 2000 , more. I am assuming you have a functioning Brake Controler and Trailer Brakes.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 AM

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

I'd say many more people go over payload than the actual tow ratings... so let's add that to the question/discussion... how much over payload?
The following users liked this post:
Storeman (10-11-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 07:01 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by centex99
I'd say many more people go over payload than the actual tow ratings... so let's add that to the question/discussion... how much over payload?
I don't know, . . . . how stupid can you get?
Old 10-11-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

It's way too easy to bust all the limits! Payload is a seldom mentioned item at your friendly Ford dealership. 11k trailer rating but a receiver hitch rated for 1150# on a max tow F150. I was surprised ordering my 2014 F350. It has a payload of 3775# but the hitch is only rated for 1250#. That's only 100# more than the F150. The f350 gas 6.2l with 4.30 axles is hitch limited to 12,500#. My next one might be a Chevy or Dodge because of this since I don't like buying new then have to yank substandard parts off.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:08 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

No let's not... lol. The payload police have been sitting in the wings for too long just ITCHING for something to sink their teeth into. They'll be on this like flies to sh*t.
CDNfyrfytr (10-12-2014)
Old 10-11-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Been over the max...no problems..how far over I'm not gonna say but it was quite a bit
Old 10-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
I don't know, . . . . how stupid can you get?

It is not like they break if you go over a bit from time to time. I guess you have a set of scales handy to make sure you never go over.
Should it be done no . Is it done Yes . Does it break usually not. How stupid I could get would depend on how much over I went I guess. It just seems like a lot of people start counting hairs when they tow . Yes you need
to be close but if Aunt Betsy is 200 pounds over weight does she really make
the Tow a no Go.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:07 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

About 2/3 of our truck's mileage is towing. Maybe 10-12K miles pre year.

With that much towing I like to keep it within the limits. If I were just going for a few miles on a few weekends, I would be less concerned.

Many years ago I blew a rear axle bearing by overloading with a full-time camper. Don't want to do that again.

Last time I weighed, we were ~200# under GVWR, 130# over rear GAWR and 20# under the hitch receiver rating. Since then I've moved stuff around and tightened up the WDH to where I think we're under them all ... just barely.
Storeman (10-12-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 09:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I go over my RAWR when towing my TT by 300lbs (about 2,000 miles a year) and am within 50lbs of my GVWR. I was over my Class 4 Receiver with tongue weight and had it beefed up by a HD truck shop to carry weight like a Class 5. Truthfully, I was more concerned being over my max hitch rating than I was the rear axle.

Not my preferable situation, but I am 'okay' with it until I get a new truck or purchase a full time tow vehicle.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:48 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Depends on the circumstances, immediate need, and a bunch of other things. Am I driving a long distance or nearby? Am I doing a lot of interstate or is it back roads. One time urgent need or frequent?

I've been a ways over on my tow vehicles as the need arises and circumstances make it seem like a reasonable thing to do. I've had my F150 EB at payload and w/in about 500# of cgvwr, and it felt stable and comfortable enough that I'd go over on occasion if I needed to.

Of course, I wouldn't do it regularly, both for the longevity of the equipment and to reduce other risks. I have been towing regularly since I was 14 yrs old (had a provisional agriculture license) and feel like I kinda know what I'm doing. Incidentally, for the first 10 yrs of my towing life, I never even knew tow ratings existed. We just hooked up and went. Kinda funny to think it was ok to hand a 14 yr old a 1-ton dually flatbed loaded high with crates of produce hooked to a tandem axle trailer full of corn (no idea of the weight) and have him head off to the farmer's market! But that's what I did ...
Storeman (10-14-2014)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Who Tows More Than Max Tow??