Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel locking

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:39 PM
04 Ford F150 lariat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default wheel locking

Hi I have a quick question I have a 2004 F150 lariat and I plow a few driveways with it and I have found that if I lock the axal's. I get better traction but this past storm I went to lock them and I was given an error message and I can not seem to get them to lock again any Idea what the cause could be or how to fix it / thank you
Old 01-22-2013, 02:13 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

There are water intrusion problems with our front axle wheel ends. I would be interested to find out you were unable to engage the hubs as that is the default position. The transfercase is different and is activated by silenoid. The front axle hubs are disengaged when vaccum is applied and are spring forced in to a lock position when vaccum is removed. The problem is caused by water being sucked in when the switch is disengaged as the vent for the switch/vaccum line is behind the battery and the water run off from the windsheild couling dumps right on to it. There is a replace ment switch with a hood, but if your switch is good then use some light plastic (like from a windsheild washer bottle) and make a sheild. Unbolt the switch from the fire wall install peice of plastic against wall and bolt switch back in place to hold plastic the plastic will be naturally bent over the switch be the lip on the fire wall just above the switch's mounting location.

Quick Reply: wheel locking