Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a Tow Package and Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a Tow Package and Why?

Hi everybody,

This is my first post and as such it's probably one of the dumber ones on the forum. Please pardon me if this is a redundant question on these boards but I didn't see one like mine to read in the first three pages.

I'm looking for an F-150 truck to tow a smaller travel trailer (approx. 5,000 lbs). Some models include the tow package some don't and just say tow mode and trailer sway control. So...I'm wondering...

What is a basic tow package?
If there's a such thing as tow mode is it a tow package necessary?
And how does having it/not having it relate to Ford's towing spec sheet?

If anybody out there can clarify this for me to some degree I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:52 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonSays
What is a basic tow package?

2015 F-150 changed the rules for the optional tow package. Now just the hitch and wiring plug are an option without the other parts of the regular tow pkg of previous model years. So you must study the Order Guide with a magnifying glass to see what is standard and optional on your 2015 F-150

For 2014 and earlier model years, without the basic or regular tow pkg, the F-150 does not have a receiver hitch, 7-pin "RV" trailer wiring plug on the rear bumper, auxiliary tranny cooler, or smart" trailer tow connector. That tranny cooler is a big deal because towing a trailer without the tranny cooler can overheat and ruin your tranny in a heartbeat.

The "regular" trailer tow pkg adds those items, plus upgrades the light-duty front stabilizer bar with a heavier-duty version. Plus with the EcoBoost engine, the 2015 regular trailer tow pkg adds an engine oil cooler.

Also available is a Maximum Trailer Tow pkg, which includes the regular trailer tow pkg plus adds the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC), upgraded rear bumper, 3.55 e-locker rear axle, and requires the EcoBoost powertrain. Note that trailer tow mirrors on 2015 models are now optional and are no longer a part of the max tow pkg, but for 2014 and earlier the trailer tow mirrors were part of the max trailer tow pkg and were not available as a stand-alone option..

If there's a such thing as tow mode is it a tow package necessary?

Tow/Haul mode is built into the automagic transmission of the 2015 F-150. and in all 2011-up F-150s that have the trailer tow pkg. Without a towing pkg, you can haul weight in the bed, but you cannot tow much of a trailer because of the limits of the bumper hitch and the need for increased tranny cooling.

So you still need a towing package to tow a trailer that grosses more than about 4,000 pounds, even though tow/haul mode in the tranny is standard in 2015 F-150s.

And how does having it/not having it relate to Ford's towing spec sheet?

Without a towing package, you cannot tow much of a trailer. The rear step bumper has a built-in weight-carrying hitch limited to 500 pounds hitch weight. The Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide specifies which towing pkg you must have to tow more than 500 pounds hitch weight.

For example, my 2012 EcoBoost has a GCWR of 14,000 pounds and a "tow rating" of 8,400 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch. Without a weight-distributing hitch my receiver hitch limits me to 500 pounds hitch weight, which is a travel trailer that grosses about 4,000 pounds, or a wagon-style farm trailer with minimum hitch weight that grosses up to about 5,000 pounds.

If my F-150 had the max tow pkg along with the heavy duty payload pkg, then my GCWR goes up to 17,100 pounds and my tow rating goes up over 11,000 pounds.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-13-2015 at 11:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fueler11 (05-13-2015)
Old 05-12-2015, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in similar situation as OP needing to tow around 5000 pounds. I will be getting the max trailer tow package but what engine is my best bet for towing and for good mpg the 49 weeks a year I am not towing. 3.5 eco boost?
Old 05-13-2015, 01:01 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by wordty
I am in similar situation as OP needing to tow around 5000 pounds. I will be getting the max trailer tow package but what engine is my best bet for towing and for good mpg the 49 weeks a year I am not towing. 3.5 eco boost?
Based purely on the analysis of the specs, the 3.5 EcoBoost is the winner in both towing and mileage. It's never a bad thing to buy more truck than you think you may need, especially if you plan to keep the truck for any length of time.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Unless you are looking at the fancier models, where it is not available, I would opt for the smaller EcoBoost (2.7L?) in the 2015 models. Should have no problems towing 5000#.
The following users liked this post:
130428 (05-13-2015)
Old 05-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
2015 F-150 changed the rules for the optional tow package. Now just the hitch and wiring plug are an option without the other parts of the regular tow pkg of previous model years. So you must study the Order Guide with a magnifying glass to see what is standard and optional on your 2015 F-150

For 2014 and earlier model years, without the basic or regular tow pkg, the F-150 does not have a receiver hitch, 7-pin "RV" trailer wiring plug on the rear bumper, auxiliary tranny cooler, or smart" trailer tow connector. That tranny cooler is a big deal because towing a trailer without the tranny cooler can overheat and ruin your tranny in a heartbeat.

The "regular" trailer tow pkg adds those items, plus upgrades the light-duty front stabilizer bar with a heavier-duty version. Plus with the EcoBoost engine, the 2015 regular trailer tow pkg adds an engine oil cooler.

Also available is a Maximum Trailer Tow pkg, which includes the regular trailer tow pkg plus adds the integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC), upgraded rear bumper, 3.55 e-locker rear axle, and requires the EcoBoost powertrain. Note that trailer tow mirrors on 2015 models are now optional and are no longer a part of the max tow pkg, but for 2014 and earlier the trailer tow mirrors were part of the max trailer tow pkg and were not available as a stand-alone option..

Tow/Haul mode is built into the automagic transmission of the 2015 F-150. and in all 2011-up F-150s that have the trailer tow pkg. Without a towing pkg, you can haul weight in the bed, but you cannot tow much of a trailer because of the limits of the bumper hitch and the need for increased tranny cooling.

So you still need a towing package to tow a trailer that grosses more than about 4,000 pounds, even though tow/haul mode in the tranny is standard in 2015 F-150s.

Without a towing package, you cannot tow much of a trailer. The rear step bumper has a built-in weight-carrying hitch limited to 500 pounds hitch weight. The Ford RV and Trailer Towing Guide specifies which towing pkg you must have to tow more than 500 pounds hitch weight.

For example, my 2012 EcoBoost has a GCWR of 14,000 pounds and a "tow rating" of 8,400 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch. Without a weight-distributing hitch my receiver hitch limits me to 500 pounds hitch weight, which is a travel trailer that grosses about 4,000 pounds, or a wagon-style farm trailer with minimum hitch weight that grosses up to about 5,000 pounds.

If my F-150 had the max tow pkg along with the heavy duty payload pkg, then my GCWR goes up to 17,100 pounds and my tow rating goes up over 11,000 pounds.
Dude, you rock. That was more than I could have hoped for in a breakdown of varying levels of tow/non-tow package builds. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain that, saved me a lot of pain knowing what I'm getting into.
Old 05-14-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Look at your cost between the different engines and the fuel mileage.
Example
Eco boost - add $3000 Mileage 24 hiway/18 city
5.0L - add $0 mileage 20 hiway / 15 city
Gas price (higher the price the quicker the return) $3.50/gallon
so Eco would cost $0.1458 per hiway mile & $0.1944 per city mile
the 5.0 cost $0.175 hiway & $0.233 city
so that is a difference of $0.0292 hiway & $0.0386 city
at $3.50 /gallon
So you will need to drive the ECO 103000 hiway miles or 78000 city miles to off set the additional cost of the Eco Boost motor and that's at $3.50 a gallon. With gas currently 21% lower pre gallon you will need to drive an additional 21630 hiway or 16380 city miles to cover the difference. And that does not include an increased maintenance cost for the ECO boost (oil changes, etc.)
In short the ECO boost vs 5.0L should be which due you prefer (unless of course you need that unrealistic max tow capacity of 11300lbs). Buy whichever you like best and fits your budget.
Note: There are some attributes that do make the ECO boost a better tow motor particularly in the rockies as it is not effected as much with change in elevation. It also tows at a lower RPM. However it does not have as much engine braking as the 5.0L will provide.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:06 AM

Received 119 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonSays
Dude, you rock. That was more than I could have hoped for in a breakdown of varying levels of tow/non-tow package builds. Thanks a bunch for taking the time to explain that, saved me a lot of pain knowing what I'm getting into.
You will find that smokeywren is an endless font of knowledge of all things towing, and even more impressive, he is always willing to share that knowledge in a collegial manner.
Old 05-15-2015, 09:37 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great info smokey. I would like to add a bit if you don't mind. The tow/haul mode was available from 09 and up not 2011. Also the max tow on the 14 and older could also be had with the 3.73 e-locker and without tow mirrors. I have a 13 Eco with max tow, 3.73 and regular mirrors.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Rumble_b
...I have a 13 Eco with max tow, 3.73 and regular mirrors.

Couldn't get that in the U.S. - I believe that's only a Canadian thing!

Quick Reply: What is a Tow Package and Why?