Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes Truck App Trailer Page automatically pop up when you connect a trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 09:12 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Default What makes Truck App Trailer Page automatically pop up when you connect a trailer?

I installed PowerScope (power fold, power telescoping) on my 2013 King Ranch.

I got OE parts (bezel, telescoping switch, and plug with pigtail of wires) so I'd have OE appearance and function.

Everything works great!!!

Butt....my Trailer page automatically pops into the instrument display everytime I start the truck!!!

Previously the Trailer page popped up whenever I hooked up my trailer, and after I disconnected the trailer it said "Trailer Disconnected" and then just displayed the Fuel Economy page which I normally had selected.

Now, the Trailer page pops up every time I start the truck when the trailer is not hooked up.

Does anybody have an idea what makes the Trailer page pop up when you hook up a trailer??? Is it some additional load that is detected on the light circuits, or what???

If I knew what caused hooking up a trailer makes that page display, maybe I could find a way to get it to stop when the trailer is not hooked up.

TIA for any ideas!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I don't know, but probably one of the wires in your trailer plug is a tattle tale. I suspect it's the trailer brake controller wire. When the system senses that you have a trailer brake controller connected to the trailer brakes, then it pops up the app on your display. But it sounds like something is wrong with yours - maybe they flashed your PCM with the wrong tune (computer program in your PCM).
Old 08-22-2014, 11:08 PM

No - I haven't had any flashing done in quite a while.

The problem just started the other day when I installed the PowerScope power telescoping Tow Mirrors.

The trucks that did not come with the PowerScope mirrors are pretty much plug-n-play. I initially put them on and connected the plug and everything worked plug-n-play (power adjust, power fold, heat, memory - everything except the auto-dim on the driver's side, which the PowerScope mirrors do not have) except for the telescoping feature.

To get the telescoping to work requires addition of the telescoping switch, and wiring to the telescoping motors, which are powered through the same pin terminals as the auto-dim (which the PowerScope mirrors do not have).

So, it was pretty simple to wire the telescoping switch to the auto-dim terminals of the standard mirrors.

I also had to splice into power and ground wires to run the telescoping mirrors, and I have tried three different power sources, and all three give me the same result of it appearing that my trailer is hooked up when it isn't.

Something is triggering the Truck App/Trailer page to pop up without the trailer being attached. I think it must have something to do with the Tow Mirror installation.

I haven't gone near any wires to the TBC.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:18 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

So if you disconnect the telescope wire, it should be like the originals but without the autodim? Does the trailer page pop up then?

mmmm, maybe the computer needs to be told that the mirrors are different ... they seem to be involved with everything these days.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Default Fixed!

FIXED!

The Trailer page with my car hauler trailer kept popping up every time I started the truck. I have a car hauler trailer and a small utility trailer. One of the things I really like about that Trailer page is that it keeps track of my ITBC gain setting for each trailer, and it keeps track of how many miles I've towed each trailer - which is great for periodic maintenance of the trailer's wheel bearings, brakes, tires, etc.

Over the last couple days when it kept automatically popping up my car hauler trailer, I drove about 80 miles and they were added to the accumulated trailer mileage even though the trailer was parked at home.

This morning I tried disconnecting everything that could have affected this when I hooked up the PowerScope power telescoping Tow Mirrors - to no avail!

I hooked everything back up and turned on the ignition - and the Trailer page popped up with my car hauler trailer as the active trailer. I squeezed the ITBC levers and it briefly showed the gain increasing, then it popped up a message "Trailer Disconnected"!!

So....the truck knew the trailer was disconnected but was still adding accumulated miles to it when I drove with no trailer hooked up - I dunno why!?!?

I was going to switch over the active trailer to my utility trailer - I don't tow it much or very far, so I wouldn't be concerned about the mileage on the Trailer page.

Or, I was thinking I might add a trailer and name it "Tow Mirrors" and select that when I didn't have a trailer connected.

Then when I went to the Trailer page (which was displaying my car hauler as the active trailer) in order to switch trailers, I noticed that there's a selection for "No Active Trailer"!!!!!! I hadn't ever paid any attention to that selection before because my trailer automatically popped up when I plugged it in and disappeared when I unplugged it.

I selected "No Active Trailer" and then went to the fuel economy display, then shut down the truck.

When I restarted it went to the fuel economy display!!!

So....I guess there wasn't any problem at all - I just needed to make sure no trailers were selected. I never had to do that before - they came up automatically when I plugged in the trailer's lights/brakes plug, and the Trailer page display went away when I disconnected the trailer.

I plugged my car hauler into the truck and all the lights and brakes work perfect.

Bottom line - my Tow a Mirrors are working great! Power fold, power telescoping, memory, heat, turn signals, and running lights. And I figured how to solve my instrument display problem.

Last edited by KR Kodi; 08-23-2014 at 02:55 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 04:02 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

yup, the computer ...
Great when they work right ...

And thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: What makes Truck App Trailer Page automatically pop up when you connect a trailer?