Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
I'm a firm believer is having "enuff truck" for your max load. So to tow a 29' TT with an F-150 EcoBoost, you need the HD Payload pkg so you don't exceed the GVWR of your truck when towing.

The HD Payload pkg includes 8,200 pounds GVWR, the 3.73 limited slip rear axle and the max tow pkg (towing mirrors and intregrated trailer brake controller (ITBC)). That's about 500 pounds more GVWR than with the max tow pkg, and 1,000 pounds more GVWR than the standard F-150. No, you cannot have the electronic locking rear axle, and no you cannot have a 5.5' shorty bed with the HD payload pkg. So a SuperCrew will have "Posi-Traction" and the 6.5' bed. That's a shorty in the SuperDuty world, but it's the long bed in an F-150 SuperCrew where the tiny little 5.5' shorty bed is available without the HD Payload pkg.

Dealers don't keep the F-150s with the HD Payload pkg in stock, so you'll probably have to order it and wait 6 to 8 weeks for it to arrive at your dealer's store. So plan ahead.

With the EcoBoost engine, there are no significant disadvantages to the 3.73 axle ratio. Owners report about the same MPG I get with my 3.15 axle ratio, whether towing or unloaded. The limited-slip rear axle works fine after you learn how to use it. I prefer my e-locker rear end, but I've made do with a posi-traction axle for dozens of years.

Great Explanation !!!
__________________
2013 F150 Lariat SCrew Eco-Boost 4x4 Black on Black w/Max Tow & HD Payload
Towing: 2015 Forest River Wildcat 282RKX Fifth Wheel
PullRite #4100 SuperSlide

NRA Endowment Member
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa View Post
So a 3.73 is always the best towing gear it's often not Needed with the Eco due to the awesome diesel like torque curve
You might tow OK in 6th gear with 3.55's but I'd bet that you won't with 3.31's or 3.15's . . . . . You'll be towing in 5th and sometimes 4th. That is OK but you've effectively reduced yourself to a 5 speed transmission; bigger jumps between gears.
__________________

2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost
Luxury Pkg, Max Tow Pkg
Retrax Pro, Black Luverne Nerfs
Amp Research Step
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #23
Grumpy Old Man
 
smokeywren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 180 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
You might tow OK in 6th gear with 3.55's but I'd bet that you won't with 3.31's or 3.15's . . . . . You'll be towing in 5th and sometimes 4th.
Only in hills or with a strong headwind. When towing my 5,000-pound TT, my EcoBoost with 3.15 axle ratio usually cruises in 6th gear on the flats without a headwind. But it does downshift to 5th for any little bump in the road, then right back to 6th when I get over the overpass or whatever was the bump in the road. And in April I towed my cargo trailer that grossed about 6,000 pounds from Midland to Ontario, Oregon, and it was frequently cruising in 6th gear.

That's running in drive without tow/haul. With tow/haul, it takes a lot longer to upshift back into 6th once it downshifts. So normally I don't use tow/haul unless in hill country or climbing mountain passes. Understand that in our Select-Shift trannies, 5th gear is overdrive and 6th gear is double overdrive. 4th gear is direct drive. So any gear of 4th, 5th, or 6th is fine for cruising while towing.

Different story if overloaded when towing near the GCWR. I towed my 8,000-pound 5er from Austin thru the hill County back to Midland, using tow/haul all the way, and it rarely upshifted to 6th other than for long downgrades. But no harm done because of cruising in 5th gear. My MPG was only a little less than when towing my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds over those same highways between Midland and Austin.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. 2012 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost, 6.5' bed, Platinum White/tan, Leer 100XQ camper shell, Nomad Joey 196S TT, CarMate 7x14' enclosed cargo trailer, three other utility trailers, plus a retired 2000 Keystone Sprinter 25RKS 5er we rarely tow now. ProPride hitch on the TT. Reese Strait-Line hitch on the cargo trailer.
smokeywren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Pittsburgh Pa
Posts: 1,211
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 70 Times in 62 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

I hooked my 8x20 car hauler that weighs about 6000 pounds loaded and my 3.55 EB hauled it with ease. It was quicker from a dead stop than my dad's 2500HD 6.0 Chevy with 3.73 gears.
Wannafbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #25
Junior Member
 
scoopy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Ontario,Canada
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

A 3:73 rear end does the trick. I have a 2014 Fx4 that has the max tow package and the heavy duty payload package. I have a 32 foot 5 th wheel that weighs roughly 9000 pounds depending on the load and whether all the kids come, and don't notice the trailer behind us at all. Used to pull the trailer with a dodge
scoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:10 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chardon, Ohio
Posts: 191
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopy View Post
A 3:73 rear end does the trick. I have a 2014 Fx4 that has the max tow package and the heavy duty payload package. I have a 32 foot 5 th wheel that weighs roughly 9000 pounds depending on the load and whether all the kids come, and don't notice the trailer behind us at all. Used to pull the trailer with a dodge
Has Ford made some changes in 2014 when ordering the HD Payload Pkg. I thought it is only available on the XL, XLT & Lariat. I would have bought an FX4 in 2013 but the HD payload Pkg. was not available on them. I went with a Lariat Max Tow/HD Payload.

I could not find in the 2014 specs that the FX4 is available with the HD Payload PKG.
__________________
2013 F150 Lariat SCrew Eco-Boost 4x4 Black on Black w/Max Tow & HD Payload
Towing: 2015 Forest River Wildcat 282RKX Fifth Wheel
PullRite #4100 SuperSlide

NRA Endowment Member

Last edited by Cover Dog; 06-30-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:27 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
jeffinthebag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 30 Times in 28 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Not to my knowledge.
jeffinthebag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #28
Grumpy Old Man
 
smokeywren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 180 Times in 148 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cover Dog View Post
Has Ford made some changes in 2014 when ordering the HD Payload Pkg. I thought it is only available on the XL, XLT & Lariat.

Note that scoopy is in Canada. Canadian Ford order guides are different that the U.S. order guides. Back when I ordered by '99.5 F-250, the Canadians could order Lariat trim with cloth seats, but we couldn't order that combo here.
__________________
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. 2012 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost, 6.5' bed, Platinum White/tan, Leer 100XQ camper shell, Nomad Joey 196S TT, CarMate 7x14' enclosed cargo trailer, three other utility trailers, plus a retired 2000 Keystone Sprinter 25RKS 5er we rarely tow now. ProPride hitch on the TT. Reese Strait-Line hitch on the cargo trailer.
smokeywren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:38 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
1994Vmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Ardmore Alberta
Posts: 838
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 100 Times in 83 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
Note that scoopy is in Canada. Canadian Ford order guides are different that the U.S. order guides. Back when I ordered by '99.5 F-250, the Canadians could order Lariat trim with cloth seats, but we couldn't order that combo here.


His truck is just an appearance package fx4. He would have the same 7700 lb gvw I do..... not the 8200 of the heavy duty package. You can't get an fx4 heavy duty here either. About the only huge difference is we can get max tow equipped trucks without the trucker wannabe mirrors.
__________________
A couple Fords and some GM's. Who cares.
1994Vmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 62 Times in 48 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
Only in hills or with a strong headwind. When towing my 5,000-pound TT, my EcoBoost with 3.15 axle ratio usually cruises in 6th gear on the flats without a headwind. But it does downshift to 5th for any little bump in the road, then right back to 6th when I get over the overpass or whatever was the bump in the road. And in April I towed my cargo trailer that grossed about 6,000 pounds from Midland to Ontario, Oregon, and it was frequently cruising in 6th gear.

That's running in drive without tow/haul. With tow/haul, it takes a lot longer to upshift back into 6th once it downshifts. So normally I don't use tow/haul unless in hill country or climbing mountain passes. Understand that in our Select-Shift trannies, 5th gear is overdrive and 6th gear is double overdrive. 4th gear is direct drive. So any gear of 4th, 5th, or 6th is fine for cruising while towing.

Different story if overloaded when towing near the GCWR. I towed my 8,000-pound 5er from Austin thru the hill County back to Midland, using tow/haul all the way, and it rarely upshifted to 6th other than for long downgrades. But no harm done because of cruising in 5th gear. My MPG was only a little less than when towing my TT that grosses less than 5,000 pounds over those same highways between Midland and Austin.
It does sound like your tranny gears are bumping up and down with little provocation. And yes, since 5th and 6th are overdrive; all the more reason to go with 3.73's IMO. With 3.15's, you must be at 1,400 RPM at 60 mph? At that RPM, any little bump in the road is going to cause a downshift. And that is all OK. I just think that locking out 6th is a good idea with the lower numerical gear sets. Since Texas is so flat, you probably don't bump around a lot. Glad it works well for you. You must get some phenomenal fuel mileage unloaded with those gears. What are you getting on the road?

I've noticed that, in 55 mph speed limit areas, my truck with 3.73's will downshift to 5th on modest rises; largely because the RPM is so low. I usually just lock out 6th to reduce the shifting in those circumstances.

Happy trails man.
__________________

2012 Race Red FX4 Ecoboost
Luxury Pkg, Max Tow Pkg
Retrax Pro, Black Luverne Nerfs
Amp Research Step
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:10 AM
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Join F150 Forum

 

The Mustang Source
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:05 PM.


Copyright 2006 - 20011 F150forum.com
This site is in no way affiliated with the Ford Motor Company.