Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What EXACTLY is a payload capacity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What EXACTLY is a payload capacity?

I realize that this is the load you can put on the truck. But how is it derived?

Does my own weight (as a driver) eats up this payload capacity?

How about gas?

Anything else?

Trying to understand how much of a trailer I can tow using a F150HD...
Old 02-12-2013, 03:12 AM

I'm sort of answering my own question but based on what I found so far, I believe you can assume 150lb worth of driver and all of the gas tank (when full) is already there, before eating up the payload capacity.

Could someone please confirm if this is the case?
Old 02-12-2013, 03:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Everything you do to your truck as far adding equipment effects the payload of your truck. Add running boards, you take away from your payload. Add a heavier hitch, you take away from your payload. You get the picture. Ford figures your payload based on the configured truck including all fluids and a 150# driver. Any optional equipment you add from the factory, they will adjust your door sticker to reflect that, but if you add anything yourself then you have to take that away from that number. Generally, you need to take that number from the door sticker, figure in everything you would haul as cargo (including passengers) and extra accessories that you may have added to the truck and whatever is left is your available payload. Believe me, the number drops quickly when you add it all up. General rule of thumb for trailers is: if it's a bumper pull, you need to figure around 15% tongue load or less, if it's 5th wheel, 25% pin weight or less. And all this needs to be figured on the trailer being loaded.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by atvtinker
Everything you do to your truck as far adding equipment effects the payload of your truck. Add running boards, you take away from your payload. Add a heavier hitch, you take away from your payload. You get the picture. Ford figures your payload based on the configured truck including all fluids and a 150# driver. Any optional equipment you add from the factory, they will adjust your door sticker to reflect that, but if you add anything yourself then you have to take that away from that number. Generally, you need to take that number from the door sticker, figure in everything you would haul as cargo (including passengers) and extra accessories that you may have added to the truck and whatever is left is your available payload. Believe me, the number drops quickly when you add it all up. General rule of thumb for trailers is: if it's a bumper pull, you need to figure around 15% tongue load or less, if it's 5th wheel, 25% pin weight or less. And all this needs to be figured on the trailer being loaded.
Thanks for the clarification.

So if I weigh only 130lb, then I can increase the available payload by 20lb, correct?

And since my wife only weighs 120lb and kids won't be traveling with us, sounds like most of the rated payload is available for me to use towards the trailer tongue weight. Someone in this forum already confirmed that F150HD Screw Lariat 4X4 EcoBoost has 2007lb payload on their yellow sticker, so 100lb is gone from there, and if we minimize any cargo in the truck, do we have close to 1900lb to support the trailer?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Basically that's correct. But now you have to consider the factory hitch capacity. I'm not sure what it is rated at but I think it is only 1050#. This will put you close to a 7000# max weight TT considering the 15% rule. This why some people are going with 5th wheel campers because you can get a slightly bigger one and get closer to the max payload. You'll have find out for sure. Just be sure to check your door sticker amd make sure that is what you've got. I've seen on here where people "thought" they had a particular payload and come to find out different when they check their sticker. Some don't realize that the HD payload package only comes configured a certain way and that most of the dealerships don't realize what they are ordering and it not have the HD package only Max Tow.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by atvtinker
Basically that's correct. But now you have to consider the factory hitch capacity. I'm not sure what it is rated at but I think it is only 1050#. This will put you close to a 7000# max weight TT considering the 15% rule. This why some people are going with 5th wheel campers because you can get a slightly bigger one and get closer to the max payload. You'll have find out for sure. Just be sure to check your door sticker amd make sure that is what you've got. I've seen on here where people "thought" they had a particular payload and come to find out different when they check their sticker. Some don't realize that the HD payload package only comes configured a certain way and that most of the dealerships don't realize what they are ordering and it not have the HD package only Max Tow.
We we do choose the pickup route, we will be getting a 5th wheel. Is the factory hitch for 5th wheel also crippled the same way?
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The F150 is not available with a factory 5th wheel hitch. So no it is not limited in capacity except by your truck payload and the 5th wheel hitch rating.

Trending Topics

Old 02-12-2013, 01:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

The payload is GVWR minus wet weight (ready to go with full tank). So, as soon as you jump in the seat, subtract 130lb. There is no allowance for a driver.

They only include the 150 lb driver in the trailer tow rating. I don't know why because you need a driver to haul stuff in the bed just as much as you need a driver to tow a trailer.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Buck50HD
The payload is GVWR minus wet weight (ready to go with full tank). So, as soon as you jump in the seat, subtract 130lb. There is no allowance for a driver.

They only include the 150 lb driver in the trailer tow rating. I don't know why because you need a driver to haul stuff in the bed just as much as you need a driver to tow a trailer.
Oh this makes a difference. So are you SURE that the payload does not take into account a 150lb driver? I couldn't confirm this through a Google search before...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

No driver included I the payload rating. That is a change from a few years ago.

Quick Reply: What EXACTLY is a payload capacity?