Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"we've done all we can for u"

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down "we've done all we can for u"

Straight from the service mngrs mouth!!

2013 screw 157" 3k miles

All started with the unloaded shudder...shim...raptor mount...shim again...grease. 3 trips to service...or is it 4 now???

So...they got it to the point the unloaded shudder is tamed down quite a bit but still there. Hook up my boat and its quite noticeable to 25 mph along with a initial snapping sound. I bring my truck up to service with boat in tow to replicate shudder and it gives a hard clank/snapping sound on acceleration to boot. Blames to snapping clank on my trailer. I explain...I've towed this boat with several other trucks...not once have I heard the snapping clank..."nah...its your trailer". I know its the truck!

He gives me the ol..." we've done all we can". Says he'll leave the ticket open so ford is aware. Now its my towing season...I have a shuddering...clanking...snapping sound whenever I tow. Worst towing vehicle I've ever owned!! And ford won't do squat!!
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Was there any indication of axle wrap? If so the RoadMaster Active Suspension (RAS) should take care of it.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Have you contacted Ford directly? Have you tried another dealer?

Both might be worth a try.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Texas A&M Aggie

Received 1,344 Likes on 976 Posts

I think try another dealer is a good option.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:16 PM

I assume the shudder is axle wrap...ras is ordered and should be here in a few days. I also assume the clank is associated with the wrap?? I'm crossing my fingers the ras remedies the issues...pretty sick about the whole deal...literally.

My boating season/towing season just started so haven't had much op to further deal with the dealer. I understand and realize vehicles can have issue...its how those issues are handled I'm having a problem with. "We've done all we can"...WTF is that!!

Just frustrated... 35k and I barely want to touch the accelerator when towing...I cringe every time I push the peddle. Leaving for a 5 day fishing trip...approx 1k towing miles in a few days. That'll be interesting.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well too bad you are leaving soon. I say find a heavy trailer(under the towing limit ofcorse) and stand on the skinny pedal. Might help them find the problem!
Old 05-06-2013, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by custm2500
Well too bad you are leaving soon. I say find a heavy trailer(under the towing limit ofcorse) and stand on the skinny pedal. Might help them find the problem!
I did that...hooked up boat and drove straight to the service dept. Mngr blamed my trailer for the snap/clank after a 20min ride with him. Pointing out my sliding brake actuator or swing tongue as the cause. I assured him the Silverado I traded in...trailer never did it. Nor does it do that behindy buds avalanche. I know my actuator bumps...they all do on acceleration but clank enough to shake the truck it doesn't.

So..in the end he claims they've done all the known fixes for the shudder and at this point he called it a characteristic of the truck. Claimed they can't shim any more...less...they've tried swapping shafts...grease...etc... and the snapping clank... my trailer. Which of course is bs.

Really hope the ras remedies both issues. If it doesn't...I'll ride the dealer. Im at a loss...bummed.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought, but have you tried seeing if you have excessive slack in your receiver or the hitch locking pin causing the "clank" noise? Another thing you could try to is to put a piece of leather or rubber under the last two springs in the pack and see if they are slapping against each other when you accelerate, although I hardly doubt you are taking off that hard pulling a boat.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:18 PM

No more slack or play than my buds avalanche. His won't make the noise. I've towed my trailers with several different trucks over the years...and always with the same hitch as I run a towtector that always go where my trailers go. Not one vehicle besides this new ford has done it. Its more than a clank as it can be felt through the vehicle. I literally cringe on acceleration as I know it coming.

I hooked up to a trailer loaded with a pallet of block this morning to test. This trailer doesn't have brakes or a swing tongue. Same deal. Drove to my buds place and stole his avalanche...hooked up. Silent!

Defenitly the truck.... not trailers or hitch or...