Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight and scales

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Weight and scales

I need to find the weight of my truck trailer and load. Due to DOT being crazy strict around here because of the gas industry.

I thought about it and I wonder if I can use truck scales? Like on the side of the highway, is that ok? I don't want to be in the way but I really want to know what I weigh.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

You are probably talking about a CAT scale, when you pay for a scale you can ask for a reweigh. Have them weigh the truck trailer combo then pull off the scales and part the trailer out of the way, reweigh just the truck and subtract it from the first weigh and you'll have trailer weight. Just a word of advise, don't block the scales!!!PM me if you want me to go into more detail.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Yea I do not want to be in those guys way. Making them lose money and what not. I am talking about a CAT scale. I did a google search and found one at a truck stop maybe I could go at night or something when they aren't busy.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:43 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

All you have to do is get in line and when you pull up to where you hit the button someone will ask you first weigh or reweigh and truck number, tell them first weigh and make up a number you'll remember, they tell you -got it ,pull off the scales-and go park out of the way. Disconnect your trailer and get back on the scales and this time tell them its a reweigh and give them your truck number again, go park and go see the scalemaster. You'll pay for a weigh and a reweigh and your done. It's a pretty quick process unless somebody decides not to park and blocks the scales.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:30 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by coley909

I thought about it and I wonder if I can use truck scales? Like on the side of the highway, is that ok?
If you mean the DOT scales at the truck weigh stations on the side of the highway, where "All trucks must exit", then probably not. They don't mess with pickups unless you are a commercial hauler. Of course, if you are a commercial hauler with a DOT number on your door, then you have to stop and get a "free" weighing.

But those commercial haulers all use CAT scales at the big truckstops so they are sure they are not overloaded when they go through the "chicken coop" DOT weigh stations.

The only problem with the CAT scale for us pickup drivers is the call button is usually way up in the air, on the level with the 18-wheeler cabs. To reach that button from my pickup, I have to roll down the driver's window and stand on the window sill.

I've used CAT scales to weigh my pickup and RV trailer dozens of times over the last 15 years, and was never hurried by drivers in line behind me. In fact, there is rarely anyone in line to use the CAT scale at most truckstops. But you do want to plan your use of the CAT scale so you are on and off of it within a few minutes, just in case a heavy hauler needs to use the scale in a hurry.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-02-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-07-2013, 01:56 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

FYI; If your fairly shure your under your limits and just want to check, then in most cases you can contact the State PD and ask for an open weight station and if you could get weighted. I did this several years ago with van that I had just purchased and a trailer that I had already had. I was fairly sure I was well under, and the State PD confirmed it. This was the portables not an actual fixed station, but I assume it would be the same.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

After a year, I just weighed my rig at some CAT scales along the way. The only issue I had was the call button being way out of reach from the cab of a pickup truck. I had to use a step stool and then it was weighed without me. Next time I will have an awning wand or something else to reach the button with.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I called the station with the CAT scale and asked when their busy times were. Seems Sunday mornings were not real busy. I pulled up and unhooked my trailer right at the scale. Got a weight. Then backed up and hooked up the trailer. Pulled just the truck back on and got another weight. Then pulled the whole rig on and got a another weight.
I know (knew) the weight of my truck (first weigh), my tongue weight (second weigh minus first weigh) and trailer weight (third weigh less first weigh).
Was not a problem at all.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got my truck and trailer weight at the same time at a pilot gas station. I got a total weight of 11678 for truck and trailer. I had a car on the trailer. Paid 10 bucks to see those numbers.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:59 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Yep good place to weigh stuff, $10 and you get your printout.

My Harley, with me in it. Street trim, I was coming back home to DFW on I20

I never see trucks on it and didn't when I did it back in October.

Quick Reply: Weight and scales