Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distribution Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Weight Distribution Question

I have a '14 XLT SuperCab, 3.5L Ecoboost, with the standard tow package. I'm considering purchasing a travel trailer and have a question. All the TTs that I am looking at are well below the rated towing weight, but I am curious about how distributing weight in the trailer will effect hitch weight. If I would attempt to move weight to the rear of the TT, would that effectively decrease the hitch weight rather than increase it, as it would if the weight was in front of the trailer's axles? For example, if I stored the filled propane tanks towards the rear, posterior to the axles, rather than in front of the trailer, would that give me some added reduction in the tongue weight? This will be my first towing experience, and I am trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks in advance for any info you can give me.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

The short answer to your question is - yes.
How much you put in the trailer will affect tongue weight as well as where you put it in the trailer. The axle(s) is/are the pivot point.
However, you want your tongue weight to be 10 to 15 percent of total trailer weight. An overloaded trailer with low tongue weight will not handle well. It is much better to evenly distribute the load and stay within your weight ratings.
There is a method for measuring the tongue weight using a bathroom scale - just Youtube it.

Last edited by wrvond; 07-05-2015 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Corrected an inaccurate statement.
The following users liked this post:
Mark090852 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 07:33 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
However, you want your overall trailer weight to be 10 to 15 percent more than your tongue weight. An overloaded trailer with low tongue weight will not handle well. It is much better to evenly distribute the load and stay within your weight ratings.
No, your tongue weight should be 10 to 15 percent of your total trailer weight. Tail-loading a trailer to reduce tongue weight will be an invitation to trailer sway and severe handling problems.

Your main concern should be the payload capacity of your vehicle. On an F150, there is a yellow sticker that shows your payload capacity on the driver door jam. That is further reduced by the ANYTHING you put in your truck including your family, dog, cooler, WD hitch weight, generator, etc.

The dry tongue and total weights listed in trailer brochures are misleading. It does not include trailer options, LP gas tanks, battery, anything you load in your trailer. Figure a good 1,000 pounds more than the dry weight. Your actual tongue weight could be 200 to 300 pounds more than the brochure.

Do you have enough payload after all of that? Do the math. Do not buy a trailer bigger than your truck capacity.
Mark090852 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by acadianbob
No, your tongue weight should be 10 to 15 percent of your total trailer weight. Tail-loading a trailer to reduce tongue weight will be an invitation to trailer sway and severe handling problems.

<snip>
You're right of course. In my head it made sense at the time that if tongue weight is 10 - 15% of trailer weight, a trailer weighing 10-15% more than tongue weight would be correct, which it isn't. The more correct statement would have been, your trailer weight is generally 85 - 90% more than the tongue weight.
I can add, and I can subtract, but ever since my vasectomy, I have been completely unable to multiply. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Here is a link to the Ford Towing Guide - the towing guide will tell you everything you need to know about what your truck can tow safely.
http://www.ford.com/towingguides/

Last edited by wrvond; 07-05-2015 at 08:50 PM.
Mark090852 (07-05-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 PM

Thanks everyone. Lots of good information here. I really appreciate it. I have a fair amount of homework to do before picking a trailer.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:23 AM
Just Creepin

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Its suggest that anything more than half of your vehicles towing capacity, will benefit from a WDH. They aren't as scary as they look when researching as there is a crazy amount of info about them. But when it comes down to it, its pretty simple setup. Just follow some step by step instructions Googleing around or Youtube videos.

It's best not to intentionally move things behind the rear axle because, as stated, it can cause for unpleasant towing experience. Can just leave everything where its installed in the trailer, and just dont pile clothes and gear on the bed in the back. Or load up closets at one end.

You will be better off loading gear into the camper and distrubting weight than you will throwing EVERYTHING into the bed of the truck. This is a decent way to keep payload capacity in check. Putting 500lbs (coolers, duffle bags, blow up mattreses, lawn chairs, outdoor carpets, etc etc) of gear in the bed is gonna effect payload before distributing it in the trailer.

I will say though I saw a REALLY awfully loaded Chevy 1500 today. He was dragging *** with a dirt bike and about 4 peddle bikes in his bed. And a trailer pointing nose down.

If you want a slide out, it will help if you like the floor plan enough to pick one out that has the slide over the axles of the trailer. Didn't think about this before I bought my (used) one. 16' slide out , all of it in front of axles. So I'm sure im pushing 1000lb tounge weight. This may be my excuse to get a F250 like I've been thinking of doing. But also, I wont be towing it more than couple times a year.
Mark090852 (07-06-2015)
Old 07-06-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by wrvond
I can add, and I can subtract, but ever since my vasectomy, I have been completely unable to multiply. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
I figured you just messed up a little. And . . . that's funny!
Old 07-06-2015, 08:53 AM

Received 273 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark090852
Thanks everyone. Lots of good information here. I really appreciate it. I have a fair amount of homework to do before picking a trailer.
make sure you read through the towing guide, especially the parts where it tells you when a WDH is required.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by tsigwing
make sure you read through the towing guide, especially the parts where it tells you when a WDH is required.
Yes, I have read it will definitely get a WDH. I'll be towing a trailer that will likely be close to 7000lbs when loaded.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mark090852
Yes, I have read it will definitely get a WDH. I'll be towing a trailer that will likely be close to 7000lbs when loaded.
Trailer length is also something to consider. There is an old rule of thumb that says "divide your TV wheelbase length by 5". For example, if you have a 145" wheelbase, max trailer length should be 29 feet. It's a rough guide but it probably means 32' and up might not be the best idea.

Quick Reply: Weight Distribution Question