Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distributing Hitch Retailer in DFW Area

Old 07-28-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Distributing Hitch Retailer in DFW Area

I need some help here. I have to tow my wife's car to the east coast from Texas and I'm looking for a retailer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who can provide assistance in the best type of WDH to buy and how to set it up as this will be my first time towing using a WDH.

I'm driving a 13 Platinum 4x4. I've already ran the numbers and the trailer and car is ~6000lbs and that exceeds the weight carrying rating of the hitch. Payload is 1150 for the truck and I'll be using 600 of that for the wife, kid, myself, and luggage. That leaves 500 lbs of payload and less than the recommended 10-12% for tongue weight. That's my secondary reason for a WDH; I need redistribute some of that tongue weight to the other axles.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:35 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

I would think any RV dealer or U Haul would be able to help.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Probably the best deal is on the internet, even with the shipping, but you might need someone to show you how to install and set it up.

"Camping World" sell/installs them. I've seen some good deals there.

Most RV dealers sell/install them.

I would call around for prices.
Old 07-29-2014, 11:37 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

Harbor Freight has one
Old 07-29-2014, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First, take a deep breath. Hopefully you have a couple of weeks to solve your issue. What make of car are you towing? Could you rent a dolly at UHaul or does it have to be trailered? If you can dolly it, you don't need a WDH.

If you are short on time and need to trailer the car, you may have a problem and will be at the mercy of a retailer. If you have time, I suggest looking at EZ Lift WDH. They are dumb stupid to setup following their directions. Camping World carries them as well as any RV dealer. To have them set up the hitch you will have to have the car on the trailer at the point of purchase. They will charge you an hour's labor at $100+ to attach the brackets to the trailer tongue and do some measuring which you can do yourself. If renting the trailer, the brackets are a no drill.

If you have time, look on Craig's List, eBay or Amazon.
Old 07-30-2014, 09:48 AM

Thanks for all the replies. I checked out Harbor Freight yesterday, but the store I went to didn't have what I needed. Unfortunately, I only have a week to figure this all out as we are hitting the road on the 5th. The car has to be trailered as it's not road ready yet. Somebody also recommended the EZ Lift to me yesterday as we were running around town. Uhaul is renting me the car trailer but that particular branch wasn't too familiar with WDHs. I think I'm going to check out some RV places today and if that's a no go, I will express order a WDH.

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub_Ordy
Thanks for all the replies. I checked out Harbor Freight yesterday, but the store I went to didn't have what I needed. Unfortunately, I only have a week to figure this all out as we are hitting the road on the 5th. The car has to be trailered as it's not road ready yet. Somebody also recommended the EZ Lift to me yesterday as we were running around town. Uhaul is renting me the car trailer but that particular branch wasn't too familiar with WDHs. I think I'm going to check out some RV places today and if that's a no go, I will express order a WDH.

Thanks again for all the help.

Good luck. As I said installing the WDH brackets on the trailer is not a problem following EZ Lift instructions. It is a no drill install. Deciding which chain link in the WDH to use is not hard either. Their are extensive tutorials on the internet. All it takes is some reading and a tape measure. Be sure to pay attention to the size ball that the trailer requires.
The following users liked this post:
Sub_Ordy (07-31-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I am not sure if you hit the road yet, or found a solution. I believe that Discount Hitch and Truck accessories will be able to get you setup well. I have not been to any of the DFW locations, but the one in Houston is excellent.

https://www.discounthitches.com/Locations

They have a lot more than what they show on their website, and can virtually order anything and have it in a day.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:06 PM

My trip report:
We made it from TX to FL with zero issues. I found a weight distributing hitch at Discount Tire and ended up buying the Blue Ox Sway Pro. Unfortunately the Uhaul trailer is not compatible with WDHs as it has an additional braking system attached to the trailer A-Frame that prevents the bars from being attached. The people at the Uhaul center were no help as they had never even heard of a WDH and it was a corporate center, not just a retailer who does Uhaul on the side. I ended up still using the hitch without the bars attached and it still towed just fine; the Platty pulled it like there was nothing back there. My wife had no issues with driving it either and she's never driven a truck with a trailer.

I know I probably exceeded my payload but like I said she drove like a dream and there wasn't much drop after I attached the trailer. The pics above are after we reached FL right before I took the car off and returned the trailer. The next time I have to tow a car I will either buy a trailer or ensure the rental A-frame is compatible with a WDH.

The pics aren't the greatest as they are from my phone. Thanks to all for the help/advice.

Last edited by Sub_Ordy; 08-07-2014 at 05:09 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight Distributing Hitch Retailer in DFW Area