Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight Distributing Hitch

Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Weight Distributing Hitch

Looking to tow a RV soon, i started reading/learning what i need to about towing. Noticed that the hitch from factory is a 5000lbs hitch (f^$k you ford). So i need some advice on what kind of hitch should get.

Looking at
Camco 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Camco 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch
. Is this what i should be looking for? Is this a good price? Have any suggestions/Ideas/Comments please let me know!

If you have any advice for me, please feel free to respond! (Websites/Reviews.... everything is appreciated)

Really looking to get what i need to pull max loads if it ever comes down to it.
The following users liked this post:
thomas nguyen (08-19-2017)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you get a brake controller, transmission cooler, and 7-pin wiring harness, plus mirror extensions? And yes you need that type of hitch. You may not need the anti-sway bar, but I have one.

In Alberta any trailer of 2000 lbs or more requires its own brakes. Some rental cargo trailers have surge brakes but I have never seen it on and RV.

My 2012 came with a towing package that included all but the mirrors. Its OK driving on the highway but you can't properly back up because you can't see the sides of the trailer. This is with an 8 foot trailer. There have been some 7 foot trailers but they are rare, (e.g 2011 Fun Finder).
The following 2 users liked this post by Gene45:
Alt255 (05-02-2013), coxhm26 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

The Equalizer hitch purchased from an Online dealer are excellent and under 500.
The following users liked this post:
Alt255 (05-02-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 PM

Received 32 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gene45
Did you get a brake controller, transmission cooler, and 7-pin wiring harness, plus mirror extensions? And yes you need that type of hitch. You may not need the anti-sway bar, but I have one.
Yes i have all that:
2013 Ford F150 Platinum SuperCrew
3.73 4x4 w/ Maxtow package
157" WB

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
The Equalizer hitch purchased from an Online dealer are excellent and under 500.
Have seen alot of positive reviews for Equalizer, and have been looking to price them. Cheapest i can find is Amazon for $550.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Alt255
Looking to tow a RV soon, i started reading/learning what i need to about towing. Noticed that the hitch from factory is a 5000lbs hitch (f^$k you ford).
The factory hitch that is part of the trailer towing package (and the max tow pkg) is rated 5,000 pounds weight carrying (WC), but 10,500 with a weight-distributing (WD) hitch. But that is gross trailer weight, which you ignore. Instead you go by the 500 WC/1,050 WD max hitch weight.

Yes, you must use a weight distributing (WD) hitch if your tongue weight is more than 500 pounds. WD hitches come in "economy", pretty good, really good, and excellent qualities, and the prices indicate the quality of the hitch. Less than $400 including sway control, walk away. $400 to $500 including sway control, such as the Reese Pro Series, you can make do, but I wouldn't want to tow with one. I insist on the really good WD hitches that cost over $500 including the adjustable shank and dual sway controls. And the ultimate in WD hitches guaranted to never allow trailer sway is the ProPride that costs over $2,000.

So i need some advice on what kind of hitch should get..
The Equal-I-Zer mentioned earlier is good - if you think friction sway control is good.
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...0-00-1000.html

I prefer the Reese Strait-Line WD hitch with dual cam sway control.
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...e/RP66084.html
That's what I have now.

But I'm saving my sheckles to get a ProPride soon. If you've ever had a trailer go into an uncontrollable sway, then you'll pay a lot extra to be sure it never happens again.
http://www.propridehitch.com/product...ol-Hitch-.html

You need to know your max hitch weight before you order the WD hitch, so you can get the correct spring bars for your load.

And if that max hitch weight is more than 1,050 pounds, then you need to replace your factory receiver with one rated for more hitch weight. Here's one rated for 1,200 pounds max tongue weight that will fit your F-150:
http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitc...eid=2013301180

I hope you don't plan to tow a trailer that might have more than 1,200 pounds hitch weight, else your F-150 will probably be overloaded.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-02-2013 at 05:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by smokeywren:
Alt255 (05-02-2013), DressageLoon (05-04-2013)
Old 05-02-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Over on rv.net many people use an Equalizer from RVWholesalers in Ohio.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smokeywren,

Does that trailer hitch info apply to a Ford Expedition with Triton V-8, 5.4L with heavy duty tow package?

I have an antique, 'small' 2 horse trailer- long but narrow- that tows great until my 'heifer' of a mare decides to throw a tantrum and the trailer starts jerking my vehicle around. I was thinking I needed an anti-sway bar. I had one years ago on my 3 horse trailer, but that was almost 20 years ago and can't remember what we got.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DressageLoon
Does that trailer hitch info apply to a Ford Expedition with Triton V-8, 5.4L with heavy duty tow package?
Yes. Your Expedition has the same 2" receiver as a pickup. Any class III or IV weight-distributing hitch that uses a 2" shank will fit in your receiver.

I have an antique, 'small' 2 horse trailer- ...
Most two-horse trailers have two 3,500 pound axles for a GVWR of about 7,400 pounds and a max hitch weight of about 1,000 pounds. It's that hitch weight that will overload most half-ton SUVs like yours. You can haul either an SUV full of passengers, or a two horse trailer, but not both at the same time without being overloaded.

Since your hitch weight will be well over 500 pounds, you need a weight-distributing hitch with sway controls. I think you'll be very happy with the Strait-Line mentioned above. But you mentioned a "sway bar", so I suspect you meant something like this added to your current weight-distributing hitch:
http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ies/83660.html

Those friction sway control bars are certainly better than no sway control at all, but not nearly as good as the modern dual cam sway control.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-04-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just adjusted my weight distribution hitch on my 2013 fx4 screw and took it for a ride. Problem is it feels loose and wants to wander around even with sway bar control arm. my 07 chevy crew pulled this same camper with more control with swaying but not gallop and certainly not power. Question is about the 1.5 leveling kit in front for the 33x12.50x20 wheels and tires dealer put on to sell it faster. I currently have the factory 18's on it now just wondering if this would keep too much weight on back and lift front end giving it bad control. should I look into bringing the back end up

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Weight Distributing Hitch