Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V-Rack kayak or canoe rack

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default V-Rack kayak or canoe rack

Does anyone have experience with V-rack for hauling kayaks with their F-150?

Old 01-31-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Never seen them before and dont like the look of them. I made one out of 2x3s and 2x6s that inserts into bed pockets. I like being able to open/close the tailgate when in use to place items in the bed or to stand on while I strap them down. Just my $.02
Old 02-01-2014, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bass3006
I like being able to open/close the tailgate when in use to place items in the bed or to stand on while I strap them down. Just my $.02
You have pointed out a significant problem with the V-rack design. I missed it completely.

In their advertising, they show the V-rack folded down on the ground with the tailgate open. It is hinged at the bumper hitch plate to work that way. But once the tailgate is closed and the V-rack fastened in the upright position, the access to the bed of the truck is "over the side", or "over the top" of the tailgate. And as you mentioned, it is a good thing to be able to stand up in the bed of the pickup when strapping the kayak to the racks.

Even the Thule goalpost rack would have that same problem.

I am searching for a rack arrangement that is easy to install and remove. Easy like putting a locking pin in a trailer receiver hitch.
All the racks I have seen that fasten to the bed of the pickup are sort of "permanent".

I want to avoid my current solution of double trailering. The problem with double trailering is that it is illegal in 22 states.
Because of my bumper hitch on the first trailer, my rig is illegal in 27 states.

Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep in mind, anything mounting to your hitch may restrict you towing capacity.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:26 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
I want to avoid my current solution of double trailering.
That's a pretty substantial boat you're hauling back there. How would you get it up onto a rack? And wouldn't the rack have to be custom designed for that boat? Most kayak racks I've seen are pretty narrow ...

We just use foam blocks and the roof rack on my Leer Cap. And the kayaks are only 25# each, so getting them up and down is pretty easy.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

How about a contractor rack??? It should be sturdy, easy to find, and wouldn't interfere with tailgate operation.

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/ladder_racks.htm

Last edited by superdave150; 02-04-2014 at 09:07 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Agri-Cover, Inc. (02-05-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bass3006
Never seen them before and dont like the look of them. I made one out of 2x3s and 2x6s that inserts into bed pockets. I like being able to open/close the tailgate when in use to place items in the bed or to stand on while I strap them down. Just my $.02
X2. That seems absurd. If you want a removable rack for only 1 kayak, look at the Weatherguard weekender or a track/ slide system.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:33 AM

I have never seen a bed mounted rack that is easily installed and removed.
In reply #3 I indicated that it needs to be simple like putting a trailer hitch in a hitch receiver with a locking pin. I might be missing something, but I tend to ignore bed mounted racks because of nuts, bolts, washers and permanent cutting into the plastic caps on the side rails of the Platinum bed.

The installation of the V-Rack is the same as mounting a trailer ball on a draw bar. (Fastened with one nut.)
An important design feature for my application is that the V-Rack fastens to the bumper, not the receiver for the trailer hitch.
I need the trailer hitch receiver for towing the travel trailer.

I did a very rough "photoshop" to see how my V-Rack concept might work.

By adding a web strap across the top of the V-Rack, I can load my rowboat similar to the kayak loading demo in the following YouTube video clip.

The problem with the design in the video is that it is mounted in the receiver for the hitch drawbar.

My boat weighs 120 pounds. I can lift one end of the boat by myself to get it lifted up to the V-Rack.

For tie-down concerns, I can step up on the rear bumper to tie the boat to the V-Rack, and step up on the running boards to tie the boat to the roof rack.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:49 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by SailorDon
The problem with the design in the video is that it is mounted in the receiver for the hitch drawbar.

My boat weighs 120 pounds. I can lift one end of the boat by myself to get it lifted up to the V-Rack.
Well that is interesting. Not sure if I would want to man-handle a long, 120# boat that way, but it looks like it can be done with the tilting V rack.

What if you put a ball on your bumper (not the receiver). Could the V-rack mount to that?

But if you want rear access to your bed, don't see any other way than just use the V-rack for loading, then remove it. Of course then you would need some 2x4's or something fancier for a rear rack, which I guess you don't want to do?

Decisions decisions ... have fun.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by brulaz
What if you put a ball on your bumper (not the receiver). Could the V-rack mount to that?

The base of the V-Rack mounts to where the ball for a bumper hitch would be mounted.

A hitch ball could even be used in place of the hex head bolt.
The V-Rack assembly would be easily installed and removed with this one 3/4" hex head bolt.

With respect to access to the bed of the pickup, I have resigned myself to the fate of a "locked closed" tailgate when the V-Rack is in use. That means I will have to step up on the rear bumper to do the rear tie-downs. I'll also have to step on the running boards at the rear doors to tie down the front tie-downs.

Quick Reply: V-Rack kayak or canoe rack