Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Utility Trailer Question

Old 05-25-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Utility Trailer Question

What kind of utility trailer do yall have? I've done a lot of google searching but the threads are kinda helter-skelter.

I don't want the crap that is at Lowes or Home Depot. I'm looking to spend about 2000 - 2200 for a nice 6X12 (size is negotiable, but definitely not longer than 14) - something with channel iron, not cheap angle iron.

From what I can tell, PJ or Big Tex seem to be solid options. Also, Diamond C has an option for a single 5200# axle over the standard 3500# - very tempting as this will be a general use trailer with the anticipated biggest loads being mulch and I could avoid a second axle. However, from what I've seen, it's better to buy bigger than what I think because it seems like you can't have too much trailer and there always seems to be that load that makes you wish you had a bigger trailer.

I got a quote from a local builder for a 6x12, 5200# brake axle, 2' solid sides (not mesh), channel iron frame, spring gate assist, and spare tire for $2165. They're well respected so I'm tempted to go that route, but figured it couldn't hurt to post a thread here cause 2k is a chunk of money. I want the trailer to last a long time. It'll get used at least a couple times a month, but probably more. It's amazing to see how much I use my F-150 now compared to my old tiny Dakota. Much in that same route, I want to get a trailer that is quality and can handle anything I throw at it.

Thanks,
Scott
Old 05-25-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Does anyone have a Gatormade trailer? I've seen them for pretty cheap on Ebay - a tandem 6x12 for 2000.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

For that kind of money I'd be looking at aluminum trailers. Lighter weight, won't rust, plenty strong.
The following users liked this post:
Velosprout (06-03-2015)
Old 05-25-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

I've got an older utility trailer, but it's the bigger one. It holds loads better than my grandpa's of the same length. Mines heavy angle though.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Default look at Kaufman

Check the Kaufman trailer web site. They are made in Lexington NC, and are only sold factory direct, no dealer markup. Here is their site: http://www.kaufmantrailers.com/utili...xle-landscape/ You can usually find some on Craigslist. I have owned several of their trailers and they are hard to beat. I currently have two, one in VA & one in NV.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

I've got a Big Tex 4x8 open sided trailer I've had for about 20 years. Only maintenance is replace tires due to dry rot and I replaced the 2x10 bed with double plywood.

This was bought to pull behind a Honda Accord and has served me well. In the truck, I can't even feel it.

For behind a truck, I'd get something a bit bigger.

BTW: It cost me $600 out the door, so a darned good investment.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:40 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Your probably right on the bigger the better with in some constraints. What you have room to park and what your main uses will be. I bought a 10x6 Shorelander motor sport trailer for my MC hauling. It has a small beaver tail that lowers the profile of the fold up ramp. Its light enough I can lift the tongue and maneuver it around by hand. It's steel so if it starts to get fatigue cracks (very common in aluminum trailers in my experience) I can weld it myself. Rust can be mitigated by a little paint. The extra weight for me is not a real factor due to the size of my trailer and how often I use it. I do wish it was double axle because at certain speeds it gets an annoying hop that is transmitted into the tow vehicle. I may investigate shocks.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:37 PM
Somethin' Bout a Truck...

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

This is a trailer place local to me that I've bought a car trailer from.

Probably not worth the trip but good info to compare pricing/sizing etc.

They've got quite a few aluminum 6x12's for $2000, smaller ones for less obviously.

http://www.rockstrailersales.com/Search.aspx?cat=ZUTL

Last edited by BAM298; 05-26-2015 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Utility Trailer

I have an Aluma aluminum 5 x 10 utility trailer. It tows great, is about 500 pounds, has very good trailer tires and never rusts. Check their website. My prior utility trailer was 4 x 8 steel. It rusted badly pretty quickly and did not tow great due to its short length. The tires were junk.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 749 Likes on 622 Posts

5x14 I bought 14 yrs ago...best $850 I ever spent...holds 2 atv's end to end. 1 set of tires and a re-paint...great for hauling trash I don't want in the back of my truck. Built by Bourg in Beaumont, Texas.
The following users liked this post:
homeskizzle (06-05-2015)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Utility Trailer Question