Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my first tow

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 336 Likes on 218 Posts

Default Update on my first tow

Hey everyone, I'd like to thank everyone for the replies, much appreciated. I posted a thread a few days ago about towing for the first time. I made it in one piece, and would like to discuss the events and some questions.

Drove from Houston, TX to Tampa, FL, around 1000 miles total. Using my 2014 F-150 extended cab 3.7L. I towed a 12X6 Uhaul trailer, as well as a full bed and some stuff in the cab.

I loaded the trailer front heavy and even, I'll be honest, I didnt actually weight the entire setup like some had recommended. Numerous people told me it would be hard to exceed the weight limit of the trailer with household items (I know this isnt 100% fact). I also had a difficult time determining all the exact weight limits. Gross weight, total weight, etc etc. I wanted to find out how much I can tow, how much I can load my bed with, how much I can put in my cab, etc etc but couldnt seem to find a clear cut answer.

With that being said, I was nervous as HELL leaving Houston. The trailer was pitched forward a bit, which I guess means I put enough weight on the tongue. I took it slow as well and left during Houston rush hour, yeah dumb move but I was ready to get the hell out of there.

No swaying to report, the only "sway" I would say I noticed was from wind gusts, or when I had to slightly correct for the natural tendency for my truck to pull right. But it was never to a point of scare. I averaged 13.0 MPG for the entire trip, and averaged around 63MPH, good? I know there are things I did wrong, like exceed the 55MPH speed limit of the trailer, and not properly weighing and calculating weights. Next time I will be much more prepared. I also tightened the safety chains a few links, they were a few CM away from the pavement, is this normal? I believe I had a 2 and 1/4 in drop, I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:01 PM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Yeah, you towed a small uhaul on the flats with a full sized truck. You're putting way to much thought into this. My only comment is get your front end fixed / aligned. Something isn't right in your front end if it pulls to the right. And you could be prematurely killing your two front tires due to uneven wear.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It appears your first tow went well. It's a matter of feel. Once you get used to it, it's not so bad. Towing a larger trailer is a bit easier due to the tandem axles. The speed was okay. You just have to remember the speed rating of the trailer tires.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

ya your definitely over thinking things. Got to remember uhaul equipment is maintained at bare minimum. I had to rent a car trailer a few weeks back with a 2013 ecobost. The trailer was still covered in mud and crap from previous rental, jack barley worked, surge brake only worked when it wanted to if at all, and im pretty sure it had bad bearings. When i loaded up the little cobalt the trailer seemed harder to pull than it should of. Iv pulled bigger with less effort. Usually if i have to rent a uhaul ill take a jack with me and spin the tires and listen and feel for bad bearings. This time i did not as it was last min.
Old 02-07-2015, 10:00 AM
Wyatt

Received 163 Likes on 136 Posts

Good job! It won't be so tense of an experience your next pull. Each time you figure out how to make your truck safer and more effective (mods).

Quick Reply: Update on my first tow