Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turbo Boost gauge use

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 12:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo Boost gauge use

As a happy new owner of a F-150 Lariat I am still learning but have been unable to get a good answer from the dealer regarding good use of the TurboBoost gauge. I think I understand what is shows but do not know how to best use it when I am behind the wheel. I should say I am primarily interested in how others utilize its readings when towing. (The primary reason I traded in a wonderful Highlander was for better towing abilities.) Right now, and I haven't towed with it yet, it just looks like something interesting (Turbo PSI) but not something I would use to help me drive/tow better. Am I wrong?

Also with that in mind I am very appreciative of the Transmission Temperature gauge and plan to have showing all of the time - but I also like the Digital Speedometer but I can't have all three (TurboBoost, TransTemp & Digital MPH) displaying at the same time on the dash. So a secondary question is how do those of you who tow utilize the gauge options. Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Hi, Perrett, and WELCOME! to F150Forum.

Originally Posted by Perrett
Right now, and I haven't towed with it yet, it just looks like something interesting (Turbo PSI) but not something I would use to help me drive/tow better. Am I wrong?

General rule: The EcoBoost engines gets good MPG when the twin turbos are not producing more than a few PSI boost. But use that engine for what it's made for and you'll often see much higher boost. When dragging a trailer up a hill, or facing a stiff headwind, then you'll see the boost shoot up. You can either back off the go pedal to reduce boost and improve MPG, or watch your MPG meter peg out to awful MPG.

Also with that in mind I am very appreciative of the Transmission Temperature gauge and plan to have showing all of the time - but I also like the Digital Speedometer but I can't have all three (TurboBoost, TransTemp & Digital MPH) displaying at the same time on the dash. So a secondary question is how do those of you who tow utilize the gauge options.

No need to worry about tranny temp except when climbing grades or poking along at less than about 45 MPH or towing into a stiff head wind. I use my GPS for my digital speedo. The boost gauge is just "nice to have" but I don't use it when on the road.

So you don't usually need the tranny temp gauge unless you are towing in hills or mounains, and you never need the boost gauge unless you are competing in the Mobile Economy Run, so if you don't have a good GPS that shows your actual MPH, then maybe use the Ford gauges for the digital speedo. I usually leave my gauges set to MPG, use the GPS for MPH, and don't worry about tranny temp or boost until I begin climbing hills or mountain passes - or when poking along in rush-hour city or suburban traffic where tranny temps can soar.

Remember that you have two tranny temp gauges - the digital gauge in the display plus the idiot gauge on the dash. If the idiot gauge ever jumps from green to yellow, then immediately switch the display gauges to show tranny temp. 225° is the red line. If it goes over 220°, get ready to pull over and park. If it reaches 225°, the tranny is too hot, so pull over and park immediately, put the tranny in park or neutral, elevate the idle RPM to at least 1,200, and sit there twiddling your thumbs until the tranny temp jumps back into the green or the digital gauge drops to 220°. Then first chance you have, change the ATF and replace it with synthetic, and replace the small oil-to-air heat exchanger with a much bigger one.

Last edited by smokeywren; 01-28-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2016, 01:19 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I keep my gauge selected to boost and when towing ill put the trans temp gauge on the center when climbing steep grades. So far the trans temp has not moved. When towing i use the boost gauge a sign of the engine working. With the 3.73 gears I see 6th gear a lot of flat stretched and when i see boost is high I will lock out 6th and stay in 5th.

when not towing if you keep boost low you will get better MPG because it means you are not accelerating hard. When towing not much you can do about boost as its a function of how the engine makes that beautifully flat torque curve.

Enjoy your new truck!
Old 01-30-2016, 11:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Many thanks

Thanks guys...kind of what I thought I knew but always nice to have it affirmed. I didn't know the specifics on the tranny and now I need to check out the digital gauge for the transmission temp. The mountain travel we have make me want to stay on top of that...and realize the the boost gauge is kind of secondary for most of my needs.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:13 PM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Check out the ScanGaugeII. It will monitor 4 different metrics from the vehicle's OBDII port simultaneously. I always monitor coolant temperature, transmission oil temp, and boost. The 4th parameter I vary; usually alternator output voltage.
Old 01-31-2016, 05:37 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

I programmed the 'my view' screen so I can easily scan my trans temp and towing info.

Originally Posted by Perrett
Thanks guys...kind of what I thought I knew but always nice to have it affirmed. I didn't know the specifics on the tranny and now I need to check out the digital gauge for the transmission temp. The mountain travel we have make me want to stay on top of that...and realize the the boost gauge is kind of secondary for most of my needs.

Quick Reply: Turbo Boost gauge use