Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck shakes when towing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Truck shakes when towing

Hey all,
I have a 2010 STX extra cab. Truck did not come with a tow package, but has SWAY CONTROL in the dash menu. I installed a class 3 hitch
Recently I rented a Uhaul car carrier and towed my Corvette about 200 miles then back home again.
Any time I got over about 45 the truck would start to shake. Not bad but noticeable, occasionally it would be pretty bad. at about 60-65 it would settle down some and just be a shimmy in the steering wheel, but the truck continued to track straight. I do have a 3" front a and 2" lift running 275-65 Geo Outlander tires

with out a trailer, the truck is rock solid on the road all the way up to 100(the fastest I have been in the truck). Tracks true, and no shimmy or drift.

What could be causing the shake with the trailer attached? Could this the lift?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:17 AM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Drive shaft out of alignment with load on back? That's all I can think of since it only happens when towing. 3" lift in front plus squatting the rear might cause the driveshaft to wobble at certain speeds. Is the shimmy in the steering AND the seat?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:29 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Could simply be the trailer vibration reverberating back to the truck.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by doctorschlachter
Drive shaft out of alignment with load on back? That's all I can think of since it only happens when towing. 3" lift in front plus squatting the rear might cause the driveshaft to wobble at certain speeds. Is the shimmy in the steering AND the seat?
Yes. When it gets bad, the whole truck is shaking
Old 07-19-2016, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When towing a my 16 ft flatbed trailer loaded or unloaded my truck will shake from about 45 to 55 mph. I'm pretty sure its coming from the trailer. Doesn't shake at all when towing my travel trailer.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:18 PM

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunbearer
Yes. When it gets bad, the whole truck is shaking
Maybe try hooking your truck up to another trailer. Or, hook your trailer up to another truck and see if there is any shaking. Rule the trailer out first.

The only reason I mention Driveshaft angle being out, is I experienced this exact same thing on my 2011. No trailer or load, it would be smooth, always. With trailer in tow, it would "shudder" on take off, and shudder/shake around 100-110 kph. My driveshaft angles were out. I too, was on a lift. 3" front 2.5" rear.

While it is shaking, carefully put it in neutral to coast and see if the shaking changes. If it does change, it could be drive-line related. If nothing changes, it should be something else.

Another thing to try. While it is shaking, can you manually shift down one gear? Rule out the transmission/torque converter. A slipping torque converter will cause shaking/slipping sometimes.

Edit: I just noticed it was a u-haul. Could very well be poor maintenance on the trailer, even a bad tire on the trailer. I have rented a few, and they do not seem to care for them very well.

Last edited by doctorschlachter; 07-19-2016 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2016, 03:37 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

It is the uhaul trailer. I just towed a uhaul car transport from Tampa to Hartford and it about shook my truck apart. My truck is smooth with my other trailers so it was for sure the uhaul.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:27 AM

I'll borrow another trailer from a buddy and see what happens

Quick Reply: Truck shakes when towing