Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck shakes like tire out of balance while towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 11:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck shakes like tire out of balance while towing

2012 EcoBoost 5000 miles on truck. NEW trailer w/WD hitch. At 55-60 mph the truck shakes like it has a tire out of balance while towing LOADED trailer. Truck rides perfect while towing trailer unloaded or w/o trailer hooked up. Trailer is a 18' open car hauler. Trailer and car weighs app'x. 4500#. Truck sits pretty much level when hooked to loaded trailer. Rear squats 7/8", front squats 1/2" when the trailer is hooked up w/car on trailer and w/d hitch installed. I jacked up the trailer and spun the tires by hand and found no excessive out of round or wobble. The trailer tires are not balanced, but everything thing I have read says that you would not feel out of balance trailer tires in the tow vehicle. What do you guys think my problem is? Again, truck AND trailer are new!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:28 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What tire pressure is in the tires of the trailer?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:33 PM

50psi trailer, 35psi truck. 50psi is what is recommended on tire sidewall.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:25 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

A lot of people do balance their trailer tires. Mine are.

No tread or belt separation on tires? Trailer tires are notoriously cheap.

But, when you say " front squats 1/2" ", maybe you are lifting too much weight off your rear axle. Ford says to reduce the front end lift with the WDH by only 50%. You are reducing it by over 100% if I read you right.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM

Guess I don't follow you. The truck sets lower both front and rear. The rear sets a bit lower than the front so I don't follow how i am unloading eithier end???
Old 06-14-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by plrgpr
Guess I don't follow you. The truck sets lower both front and rear. The rear sets a bit lower than the front so I don't follow how i am unloading eithier end???
Right, you're not unloading the rear as it's still lower with the WDH.

But Ford still recommends reducing the Front end lift by *only* 50% with the WDH. Some go to 100% (completely removing the lift). If the front end is lowered at all (removing more than 100% of lift), then you are putting more weight on the front than was there without the trailer. And that's way more than what Ford recommends. I guess the truck is just designed to carry most weight on the rear.

Really not sure if this will help at all with your problem. But who knows?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM

Plz bear w/me here as my skull must be awfully thick, but I don't see how I have ANY front end lift as it is sitting lower than when trailer is unhooked????

Trending Topics

Old 06-14-2013, 09:55 AM

Plz bear w/me here as my skull must be awfully thick, but I don't see how I have ANY front end lift as it is sitting lower than when trailer is unhooked????
EDIT: Wait a minute, maybe now I'm confused. Is the front end lower when the trailer is hooked or unhooked? With or without the WDH?
Anyway ....

OK. No problem. Start over.

First, measure the distance from ground to top of wheel well on all four wheels with NO trailer.

Second, put the trailer on the ball, but do NOT adjust the WD tension bars yet. Measure the wheel wells again. The front will be lifted, the rear will sag. Calculate the difference: it's *that* front lift Ford is talking about.

Now adjust the WD tension bars so that front lift is reduced 50% (Ford's recommendation, or some people go up to 100%).

Better ?

Last edited by brulaz; 06-14-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2012 EcoBoost 5000 miles on truck. NEW trailer w/WD hitch. At 55-60 mph the truck shakes like it has a tire out of balance while towing LOADED trailer. Truck rides perfect while towing trailer unloaded or w/o trailer hooked up. Trailer is a 18' open car hauler. Trailer and car weighs app'x. 4500#. Truck sits pretty much level when hooked to loaded trailer. Rear squats 7/8", front squats 1/2" when the trailer is hooked up w/car on trailer and w/d hitch installed. I jacked up the trailer and spun the tires by hand and found no excessive out of round or wobble. The trailer tires are not balanced, but everything thing I have read says that you would not feel out of balance trailer tires in the tow vehicle. What do you guys think my problem is? Again, truck AND trailer are new!
Are the tires on the trailer new? The reason I ask is if the tires have been on the trailer awhile setting on the dealership lot then they may have a flat stop or a start of one. When you are empty there is not enough weight for you to feel it but when you put weight on it (pressure) then it becomes more prevalent. Just a thought. I have seen this before on some of my buddies trailers that sat for a long time.

Have you tried to pull the trailer without the WD? IMO 4500# is not enough weight for a WD. I have been pulling multiple types of trailers with multiple types of trucks for 19 years (since I was 16 and I am now 35). You should only have about 450# (10% of 4500#) of tongue weight.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by ragerjr
Have you tried to pull the trailer without the WD? IMO 4500# is not enough weight for a WD. I have been pulling multiple types of trailers with multiple types of trucks for 19 years (since I was 16 and I am now 35). You should only have about 450# (10% of 4500#) of tongue weight.
Really good point. With an open car hauler, 10% on the hitch should be fine.

And with only 450# hitch weight, the front end lift is hard to measure so setting up the WDH properly is difficult.

I would ditch the WDH.

Last edited by brulaz; 06-14-2013 at 10:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Truck shakes like tire out of balance while towing