Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck bogs down under load

Old 08-10-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Truck bogs down under load

Hi I'm Ryan. This is my first thread.
I'm having an issue with my truck falling on it's face under load. I do truck pulls with it and as soon as i get off the line it bogs and cant catch its self. Won't build rpm or anything. Does the same thing when I do a burn out or power brake. Im wondering if the edge evo is no good for it. I have new plugs an wires, have tried it with the air cleaner out still does the same. Any ideas on why? It's a huge problem because other f150's like mine arent doing this.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Colorado

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Tell us more information about your truck. What year? What engine are you running? Any mods?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by jdog0411
Tell us more information about your truck. What year? What engine are you running? Any mods?
It's a 2004 3V 5.4, I have an Edge Evo, Under drive pulleys, BBK 80mm Throttle body, Hurst adjustable EPC shift valve, Flowmaster Exhaust, Volant Ram Air System. It is also lifted and has bigger tires and rims, but it had all this stuff on it for a while when it started. I ran diablo tuner before with a custom tune. My dog ate the cable in half on that tuner and I couldn't make any adjustments. So I switched the truck to Edge Evo. It's not as good for sure and I wonder if it's in the file. Also this came off a 2005 can tune.. I'm wondering if there is a slight difference in the tune or if my tranny is holding me back. I use this truck for doing pulls.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 AM

You guys don't offer up much help. Neither of my post are getting replies?
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex71
go buy a new truck.. How's that for a reply?
Old 08-15-2013, 12:59 PM

Received 171 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Tex71
What size tires, gears, how many miles? You're kind of limited truck pulling with a f150. Also sounds like you are maxed out on bolt on mods besides supercharging it. Maybe upgrade to SCT tuning
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Sitedrifter
go buy a new truck.. How's that for a reply?
That is pretty ignorant actually, certainly something you would hope to hear from a new forum.

I always pull in the lightduty gas class, the F150 is actually one of the better ones for it too. It started doing this after I did the edge update and that's why I kind of think it's the issue. I've been trying to find an Intake Manifold for it so I can get more air in it and then do 120lb injectors. Just very hard to find any sort of intake manifold for this thing other then factory plastic. Factory stops pulling pretty early in the RPM band.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:37 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

How about your spark plugs? Mine were shot at 41K
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
How about your spark plugs? Mine were shot at 41K
I actually have changed mine twice now, changed them at 30K because of the issue with the aluminum heads an two piece plugs. I then changed them again when I went to MSD high spark coils with a high fire plug. This set up may have 15k on it. I talked to fireplunk about my shift kit/EPC valve set up to see if that was the issue with the lug and they ran my truck on the dyno. Told me there is 0 issue with the tranny or any slippage. Im at a loss on it all. I'm wondering if the edge may be the issue or if the power core filter Volant uses isn't letting enough air in for the fuel and spark I'm creating? The more I look into it the more options I come up with. That's why I was hoping some fresh minds and ideas could maybe pin point something I'm missing.
P.S. Sorry if I upset you guys by saying I don't get much help here. Wasn't trying to put it in anyone's face. Im just use to a more active forum with quicker replies. Im part of one for tanks and thats it, but they are a little quicker to respond and nice to new comers. Didn't mean to offend.

Last edited by Tex71; 08-18-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by jferg92
What size tires, gears, how many miles? You're kind of limited truck pulling with a f150. Also sounds like you are maxed out on bolt on mods besides supercharging it. Maybe upgrade to SCT tuning
Sorry, it's factory gears, 20" heavy duty rims and 355/50 nitto tires that are 13" wide. I have been thinking about doing gears. Get rid of the anti slip rear end with all the clutching thats prone to cavitation. I know it will do me no good to do gears unless I go a full rotation, but then your talking 4:88 gears. It's a lot of coin to spend too since I have to do both front and rear. That's the main reason I haven't done it. The problem was there even with the factory wheels on it though, I had to do a pull in Washington county with factory rims and tires because of a blow out the night before lol... Cant find my tire at tire places where I live.. Still had the issue with it falling off. I really hate it though lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Truck bogs down under load