Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck or ATV plow

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Truck or ATV plow

Got a question still after doing thread searches.

I've got an '09 King Ranch (no plow package) and have recently purchased 110 acres of hunting land with a 4-season cabin close to our home. It's got a 1/2 mile single lane back to the cabin that I'd like to plow during the 6 months of winter & snow we get. We don't get a ton of snow up here but what comes, stays all winter due to our sub-zero temps.

I've got 300' of gravel drive here at the house that I've been using a 2-stage Toro snowblower on and have recently bought a Polaris Sportsman X2 550 as well. Trying to decide between 1) mounting a plow on the King Ranch (like a Home Plow brand or similar) and traveling out the 30 minutes and plowing with the truck or 2) mounting a plow on the ATV and trailering it to the land to plow.

I'd put the ATV in the truck bed but the plow would hang out over road which I am leery about doing, wouldn't want the plow to drop accidently.

Anyone done one of those Home Plow or similar with a front hitch on a newer F150? I've read some of the threads that talk about not plowing with a '11 or later F150. Just wondering if those cautions would apply in my case. No commercial plowing; just the driveways.

Or should I just do the ATV plow since my F150 doesn't have the plow package?
Old 03-31-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Id use the atv just beacuse a plow puts a lot of stress on a truck and personally when shopping for a used truck i dont want one that has had a plow at all.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

There are some interesting "other" plow option you could use. Everyone I know that has put a plow on their ATV has always found it to be a struggle. Take a look at the Snowsports Plow, I think it maybe just what your looking for and it would compliment your snow blower for the house.
http://www.realtruck.com/snow-plows/...FQdU4AodTn0A4g
Old 04-04-2013, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Triton22
Id use the atv just beacuse a plow puts a lot of stress on a truck and personally when shopping for a used truck i dont want one that has had a plow at all.
X2
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

use the atv and save the truck or buy a beater and put a plow on that.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:28 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Try the plow on the ATV. Get frustrated when you cannot plow more than 4 inches with the ATV. Go buy a compact tractor with a front end loader or snow blower. I have a similar setup where the driveway to our cabin is about 1500' of crushed stone. The ATV does not have enough weight to move any amount of snow. We now have a JD 855 with a loader and a 6 foot snow blower on the back. Now I can do the driveway and around the garage in 15 minutes. In the summer we use the tractor to mow the grass. Don't get a belly mower, get a 3 point finish mower.

Last edited by MixMastaMM; 04-04-2013 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Or do what I did. Move south to somewhere that more than an inch or so of snow is just a bad memory .
Old 05-03-2013, 12:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd buy a beater plow truck personally.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A home plow doesn't put any stress on the truck. It is a short light weight plow intended for this exact situation. He isn't going to be plowing for 10 hours 40 days a year. Just pushing his driveway occasionally.

In my opinion there isn't anything much dumber then an ATV with a plow. I am sure on a very rare occasion it is the best set up but. It has no heat, no shield from the wind, and sure would be a pain to load up drive to the property and unload.

I don't see this as a hard decision.

Quick Reply: Truck or ATV plow