Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TrIL

Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TrIL

I have a 2010 xlt 4x4 5.4 l v8 supercab with a 3.55 rear end. I just bought a 2012 Dutchman Aerolite that is 6100 lbs dry weight. I do not think I will have nay trouble towing it since my F150 is rated for 9700 lbs. However after reading through the forum I am now having second thoughts.

Am I fooling myself or will I be ok here
Old 07-07-2013, 08:11 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Payload payload payload. As you read through the forum you'll see that's what most people miss when they're looking at trucks and trailers.

How much stuff will you put in the trailer? We typically have 1000# with all our food, gear, water, propane, batteries ... In your case that would make the trailer's real weight 7100#. Still under Ford's rated tow capacity. But the engine may be running in a lower gear and at higher revs to get the torque needed. But still doable.

To control sway, you will want at least 12% of that weight on the hitch ball. That's 852#, add a 50# WDH and you've just added 900# to the back of your truck. Some trailers have higher than 12% on the tongue. Can your truck handle that or will it put you over the GVWR and rear GAWR?

Check the Payload # that's listed on the yellow sticker on the door jamb. Add up the 900#, your weight, passenger weights and *everything* else riding in the truck. Does it exceed the payload?

Some people don't mind exceeding these numbers by a few hundred pounds. It depends upon how much and how far, really. Others like to keep their numbers at least 20% under as a safety cushion. I personally figure that as long as I don't Ford's GVWR, GAWR and GCWR, everything is good.

Search this Thread