Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triball vs dedicated drop drawbars

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Triball vs dedicated drop drawbars

Sorry if this has been covered but I didn't find anything. I've got a stock height 2013 4x4. I've got a drop drawbar for my 1 7/8" ball but now I need a 2 5/16". I was thinking about getting another dedicated drop drawbar but the cost of a triball and having all three sizes is basically the same...

Does anyone tow with a triball regularly? Is it easy to jack knife the side of the bar since the ball is higher up and further into the drawbar? Maybe I'm overthinking this but there has to be a trade off??? Right???
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I tow my boat regularly with a tri ball. Havent had any issues. My truck sits taller than stock, but use the tri ball because it keeps my trailer level.

Shane
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 AM

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

If a tri ball works for all your needs then go for it. I personally don't like them because you are limited to the same height for all towing. And I just hate the look of them. It might cost a bit more but I buy the proper ball and drop/raise for each trailer I own.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:07 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I invested in one of these reversible ball hitches d/t all the different trailers I sometimes hook up to:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bal...all_Mount.aspx

Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Norotso
I invested in one of these reversible ball hitches d/t all the different trailers I sometimes hook up to:...

Yeah, two different ***** is all I ever need, 2" and 2 5/16th inch for my 5 different trailers. Adjustable drop means that's all the shank+ball mount you should ever need. If you do have a combination that requires a drop or rise more than the adjustment can achieve, then buy a dedicated ball and ball mount for that rig.

About 25 years ago I had a camper trailer that used 1 7/8th ball. So I can see that some folks might need all three sizes today. But not me.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM

Received 172 Likes on 145 Posts

The 1 7/8 size makes no sense to me when 2 inch is just marginally bigger. Why do manufacturers even bother. And they are close enough that someone not paying close attention could put the 1 7/8 on a 2 inch trailer.
Old 02-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Wannafbody
The 1 7/8 size makes no sense to me when 2 inch is just marginally bigger.

Maybe so, but a 1 7/8" coupler will not clamp onto a 2" ball.

A 2" coupler will clamp onto a 1 7/8" ball, but the fit would be so loose that you'd have to be unconscious to not notice they don't go together.

As with most activities dealing with towing safety, you have to be awake and paying attention when you hook up a trailer to a tow vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
Floridaguy80 (02-27-2016)
Old 02-27-2016, 10:26 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

The concern you should have is height.

Your trailer should be level when hitched to your truck to tow best. That may work with a triball set up but a quick measurement will tell you.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:10 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Dirttracker18
The concern you should have is height.

Your trailer should be level when hitched to your truck to tow best. That may work with a triball set up but a quick measurement will tell you.

They make tri-ball hitches on adjustable shanks, so if you pay the big bucks for one of those, then you can put together a tri-ball hitch that is the correct height to result in a level trailer, front to rear.
http://www.truckntow.com/tri-ball-fu...m_content=Main

A simple Reese tri-ball hitch from Wal-Mart costs $30. But that hitch above with the adjustable shank costs $160. So that's why I say "if you pay the big bucks".
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reese-Towp...w-Bar/15125828
Old 02-28-2016, 10:55 PM

Received 204 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Norotso
I invested in one of these reversible ball hitches d/t all the different trailers I sometimes hook up to:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bal...all_Mount.aspx
Wow, lots of $. If one wanted to go really crazy, you could get one that includes a scale:
http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/...afe/WS4-2.html

Quick Reply: Triball vs dedicated drop drawbars