Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Trailer and WDH with Anti Sway

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Trailer and WDH with Anti Sway

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new here, just picked up a 2006 XLT F150 4X4 with 5.4 and tow package.

I am picking up my new travel trailer today ( upgrading from a pop up) to a 2012 Summerland 2600TB. 4700 LBS dry with 545 LBS hitch weight.

The RV place is recommending the equalizer brand WDH, which searching here reviews very well, but pricey.

I found a Curt Weight distribution with anti-sway for a lot less than the equalizer.

I don't mind paying more for the Equalizer hitch if it is a lot better, but just seeing if anyone has experience with both, or should i stick with the dealer recommendation?

Thanks for any help.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Dealers are usually pretty expensive. Order it online and bring it with you when you pick up the trailer. They seem pretty easy to set up. Try here:
http://www.adventurerv.net/equalizer...bs-p-1377.html

And yes, the Equal-i-zer is supposed to be a lot better than the cheaper brands. It's the ease of set up and operation, and the fact that it doesn't extend far below the frame that appeals to me. Don't have one, but when/if we get a bigger trailer, probably will get one.

Last edited by brulaz; 06-07-2013 at 11:12 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I also upgraded from a popup to a 37' 9000 lbs travel trailer. I can't comment on other brands, but I had the Equilizer hitch installed because that is what the dealer carried. We drove from MN to MI to pick up our trailer and I didn't want to encounter any delays on the return trip home. I have been extremely pleased with it. I have not had any control or sway issues at reasonable speeds. I encountered a little sway pushing the speed in the 65-70mph range in 30 knot winds. Dropped the speed back to around 60 and the sway went away, even in the strong winds. The only anoyance is the noise it makes when turning corners. Hope that helps.
Happy Camping
Old 06-07-2013, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input, I am going forward wit he Equalizer.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:44 PM

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

I've only used the Equal-i-zer but highly recommend it. Mine works great and to help with the noise when turning try these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRJNIE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007HRJNIE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I get very little if any noise from mine and these have wear very well.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked my Equal-I-zer hitch so well I kept it when we sold our 27' trailer. Never had sway, pulled it all over Minnesota.
Now looking for a smaller trailer since it is just the Wife and I.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be a bit pricey but many people consider an Equalizer "the last word" in weight-distribution / sway control.
Me? I'm happy with my Reese Dual Cam. My F150 is a much more stable towing platform than the Envoy it replaced.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by b727capt
I also upgraded from a popup to a 37' 9000 lbs travel trailer. I can't comment on other brands, but I had the Equilizer hitch installed because that is what the dealer carried. We drove from MN to MI to pick up our trailer and I didn't want to encounter any delays on the return trip home. I have been extremely pleased with it. I have not had any control or sway issues at reasonable speeds. I encountered a little sway pushing the speed in the 65-70mph range in 30 knot winds. Dropped the speed back to around 60 and the sway went away, even in the strong winds. The only anoyance is the noise it makes when turning corners. Hope that helps.
Happy Camping
I just spray a little white lithium grease on the support brackets on the trailer and it is pretty quiet in turns. Hasn't seemed to affect the sway control at all, just cuts down on the noise.

I bought my Equalizer from the dealer that I bought the my trailer from and it was actually very competitively priced. I bought it installed for maybe $20-30 more than what several places had it for online.

Just a word of advise for the OP, double check the install if the dealer does it. Apparently most of them just set things up so that it looks like the trailer sits level to the naked eye. When I drove mine home, I was getting a bit more sway than I was expecting (the truck's sway control never kicked in) and come to find out that they only put two washers on the stud that controls the head tilt. If you read the instructions, it says to start with 4-5 with a full size truck to get enough weight distribution. After adding them myself, the trailer handled MUCH better. I can do 60-65 down the highway and my setup is solid as a rock now.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:14 PM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have close to 30k kms on mine since 08 and have never had a problem.

Last edited by Norotso; 07-09-2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 PM

Received 1,389 Likes on 664 Posts

The dealer pushed the equalizer hard when I bought my Jayco but I opted for the "cheap" Pro-Series. It works just fine, easy to hook up and Ive never had sway. Not knocking the Equalizer, never used one but the other systems also work and work well.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer and WDH with Anti Sway