Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

travel trailer suggestions

Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default travel trailer suggestions

Hey guys I'm looking for my first trailer and looking to see what makes/models other members would recomend. I don't want anything to heavy preferably in the 4500gvw range to keep the truck below payload and with a slide out if possible. We would mainly be using the unit without any hookups so an onboard genny would be great if that is possible in this size and weight...I drive travel trailers daily for work on the commercial level,but know absolutly nothing when it comes to your daily unit...thank you
Old 10-27-2014, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Needs stats on your truck first...
Old 10-27-2014, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by badercubed
Needs stats on your truck first...
2013 eco 4x4 supercew 6.5'bed 3.31 e locker. I know the truck has a low payload, Want to stay a good bit under if possible
Old 10-27-2014, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the new Cheyenne 233s. It's a 5th wheel with a pin weight of just over a 1000#. I just got a 30 ft tag and wish I had looked around more. Next year I plan to sell this one and go with a light weight 5er. No hassles with sway and much less complicated as far as all the weight calculations. Back up to it, level it up with air bags and off you go.
Old 10-28-2014, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smartzaps
2013 eco 4x4 supercew 6.5'bed 3.31 e locker. I know the truck has a low payload, Want to stay a good bit under if possible
What does your door sticker say for available payload?

EDIT: How many people typically with you?

Last edited by badercubed; 10-28-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:07 AM

I believe that it is in the 1300 range...usually 3 adults...looking to stay under payload and i don't know if that would be possible with a 5th wheel
Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I believe that it is in the 1300 range...usually 3 adults...looking to stay under payload and i don't know if that would be possible with a 5th wheel
Just look on your driver's side door and you'll know exactly what your GVWR and payload capacity are - here's a picture of my stickers:

Name:  A616380F-8DC6-41F7-979E-041315EC73E9_zpscgagdhqe.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  89.6 KB

You can see the one sticker has your GVWR, and the tire sticker will have your payload capacity. The payload capacity is determined by the factory weighing the truck as it comes off the production line - it's the weight of the empty truck (except for a full tank of gas) subtracted from the GVWR. If you have added stuff like a bed liner, tonneau cover, etc. that are on the truck when towing be sure to subtract them from the sticker payload capacity.

If you travel with 3 adults (if they're real lightweights, maybe their total weight is 500 lbs), are you carrying anything else in the cab or bed?

If your truck does have a 1300 lb payload capacity and all you have in the truck is 500 lbs of people, then you've got 800 lbs remaining for trailer tongue/pin weight and your hitch.

A GN hitch will probably weigh at least 100 lbs, and a fiver hitch can weigh several hundred.

Let's say your fiver hitch only weighs 200 lbs - now you're down to 600 lbs remaining for pin weight.

Common towing wisdom is that gooseneck or fifth wheel pin weight should be 15% to 25% of the loaded trailer's weight, with 20% being normal.

Hmmmm.....if you have a 3000 lb fifth wheel, 20% of that is 600 lbs. If you have a 4000 lb fiver and can load it so you have the very minimum of 15% on the tongue, you could pull it without being overweight.

So.....I think unless your payload capacity is significantly greater than 1300 you really shouldn't be considering a GN or 5'er.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by KR Kodi
Just look on your driver's side door and you'll know exactly what your GVWR and payload capacity are - here's a picture of my stickers:

You can see the one sticker has your GVWR, and the tire sticker will have your payload capacity. The payload capacity is determined by the factory weighing the truck as it comes off the production line - it's the weight of the empty truck (except for a full tank of gas) subtracted from the GVWR. If you have added stuff like a bed liner, tonneau cover, etc. that are on the truck when towing be sure to subtract them from the sticker payload capacity.

If you travel with 3 adults (if they're real lightweights, maybe their total weight is 500 lbs), are you carrying anything else in the cab or bed?

If your truck does have a 1300 lb payload capacity and all you have in the truck is 500 lbs of people, then you've got 800 lbs remaining for trailer tongue/pin weight and your hitch.

A GN hitch will probably weigh at least 100 lbs, and a fiver hitch can weigh several hundred.

Let's say your fiver hitch only weighs 200 lbs - now you're down to 600 lbs remaining for pin weight.

Common towing wisdom is that gooseneck or fifth wheel pin weight should be 15% to 25% of the loaded trailer's weight, with 20% being normal.

Hmmmm.....if you have a 3000 lb fifth wheel, 20% of that is 600 lbs. If you have a 4000 lb fiver and can load it so you have the very minimum of 15% on the tongue, you could pull it without being overweight.

So.....I think unless your payload capacity is significantly greater than 1300 you really shouldn't be considering a GN or 5'er.
Thanks! I m away on a work trip right now and Do not remember the exact payload... the more I look the fun finder 214wsd seems to need most of the criteria if anyone has input on that model it would be great!
Old 10-28-2014, 01:55 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

the more I look the fun finder 214wsd seems to need most of the criteria if anyone has input on that model it would be great!

GVWR 6175 with tongue weight 13.7% of the trailer weight. If you load the TT to 6,000 pounds, your tongue weight would be around 800 pounds. That much tongue weight will probably overload your F-150 over the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the F-150.

My F-150 with 1,366 payload capacity is overloaded with my TT that has tongue weight of only 600 pounds when wet and loaded for the road.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by smokeywren

GVWR 6175 with tongue weight 13.7% of the trailer weight. If you load the TT to 6,000 pounds, your tongue weight would be around 800 pounds. That much tongue weight will probably overload your F-150 over the GVWR (and payload capacity) of the F-150.

My F-150 with 1,366 payload capacity is overloaded with my TT that has tongue weight of only 600 pounds when wet and loaded for the road.
Thanks so much donyou happen to know any decent light weight trailer in a mid range price point.
I'm used to driving these where weight is no issue https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbi...00004225710598

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: travel trailer suggestions