Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Trailer/Leveling Kit - Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 03:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Travel Trailer/Leveling Kit - Question

Hello all. I have a 2011 F150 FX4 with the 5.0L. I tow a 26' travel trailer, and recently I have finally gotten it all dialed in as far as weight distribution, sway, and having the truck and trailer level. I'm using all Reese products, (Straight Line Weight Distribution).

The question I have is with new tires (35")and a leveling kit. I want to put larger tires on my truck, and add the 2" leveling kit to the front of the truck. However, I'm concerned that when I do that, the back of the truck will then sag and I won't get the truck level which will effect sway control. Has anyone ever done this and have they ever had issues with controlling their trailers after?

Right now the truck and trailer is like this: -o-----o- ---------

I'm trying to avoid this: -o--...o.. ---------

Get it? lol
Old 09-15-2013, 05:32 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by dhorsfield
Hello all. I have a 2011 F150 FX4 with the 5.0L. I tow a 26' travel trailer, and recently I have finally gotten it all dialed in as far as weight distribution, sway, and having the truck and trailer level. I'm using all Reese products, (Straight Line Weight Distribution).

The question I have is with new tires (35")and a leveling kit. I want to put larger tires on my truck, and add the 2" leveling kit to the front of the truck. However, I'm concerned that when I do that, the back of the truck will then sag and I won't get the truck level which will effect sway control. Has anyone ever done this and have they ever had issues with controlling their trailers after?

Right now the truck and trailer is like this: -o-----o- ---------

I'm trying to avoid this: -o--...o.. ---------

Get it? lol
Your use of the keyboard for descriptive pictures is awesome!

I'm not an expert when it comes to towing but here's what I can tell you that I am fairly certain of:

1. The level will make you reset you WDH again because it will throw it out of whack.
2. The tires you are wanting will hit your mileage (obviously), handling and control, and braking. It won't be "dangerous" just different. Your whole setup nose to tail will feel different.
3. The WDH should adjust to take the sag out a bit, but you might have to adjust where the hitch is on the shank (lower it a notch or so) so your tongue isn't too high. Although I may be wrong on that and I am open to correction

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer/Leveling Kit - Question