Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel Trailer hitch would not come off ball (fixed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Travel Trailer hitch would not come off ball (fixed)

I am a new member to the forum but have been using the information here for years. I've owned a number of F-150's and would not buy any other truck.

With this being said, I recently had an issue with my new travel trailer. When I got it home to unhook it, the hitch would not release from the ball. I thought the lever that disengages it from the ball was stuck and would not release.

So I'm an idiot, after taking it back to the RV dealer I was shown the correct way to disengage the hitch. The lever on the latch actually slides back to disengage the hitch from the ball, it does not disengage by pulling up (like all of the other trailers I've experienced, all boat trailers.)

I wanted to share this information in case someone else on the forum had the same problem.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Good for you, Jim.

Yeah, the coupler release lever must be both pulled up and slid back to clear the ball. On your new trailer the mechanism probably works find with just the power of your hand to slide back the lever. But as it ages and maybe rusts, you may need more action to get it released. Lube the mechanism will help some, but here in the desert it attracts dust and dirt, so I don't like to use most available lubes. Instead I always have a hammer in the toolbox near the tailgate, and may need to tap the lever to get it to back up and clear the ball.
Old 10-19-2014, 02:26 PM

Thank you for the info, I"ll keep that in mind for future reference. The hammer sounds like a very good idea!
Old 10-19-2014, 08:29 PM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Weird But True

Smokeywren knows all, and gave you more good advice.

On Trailers with different Hitch Mechanisms, I've had heavily loaded ones 'stick' on the Ball and defy all tricks to get them loose. Even on absolutely level surfaces where there's no lateral pressure on the Ball.

To your 'Kit', add the trick of sharply backing up a Trailer to sort of 'snap' it loose. Then, lift it off.

I've had such bad cases with my loaded Utility Trailer, I've had to pull the Receiver Tongue Lock Pin and pull forward to pull out the entire Ball 1/2. I put a piece of Log, etc., under the Utility Trailer Tongue so that it doesn't crash to the Ground. Weird, but true.

Last... Be sure to cross your Safety Chains before you tow. I have had my Utility Trailer Hitch come off. Only the crossed Chains caught it, and prevented if from augering into a Dirt Road I was on. A Pal had a Ball unscrew and the Trailer come loose. And, he's a very exacting Fellow. It was borrowed Equipment, and a small U-Haul that was not damaged.

Guano occurs.

Last edited by Engineer Guy; 10-19-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I know the OP has the situation solved but here's some different tips. 1. Lube the ball. 2. Crank up the the truck and trailer when their stuck then jump on the bumper. 3. If you've just backed a trailer into a spot hold the trailer brakes and nudge the truck forward which helps free the connection.
If you're pulling heavy trailers get rid of the stamped steel couplers for they will crack at the ball sooner or later. If you have a height adjustable A frame change the bolts frequently. Grade 8 bolts will also break as I've found out so I change them yearly.
Old 10-20-2014, 11:51 AM

Thank you everyone for the great advice, it's very appreciated.

Quick Reply: Travel Trailer hitch would not come off ball (fixed)