Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trans spaz after towing

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans spaz after towing

anyone else have a problem with the trans on the truck flipping out bat **** crazy after pulling a trailer? I have a 16' enclosed trailer and it works the crap out of this truck to pull it but the trans seems to freak out after towing. I will be driving down freeway and give it gas to shift down and pass or go up hill and the rpms spool way up then trans locks up and does it so hard its like having an engine block in the back of the truck and hitting the gate lol. I think the rear end is going to rip out of this thing soon. It will do it at lower speeds as well. After a while it stops and goes back to normal within a few days. Of course when test driven its not duplicated. 2011 F150 5.0
Old 01-03-2017, 09:11 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

The first step with a modern vehicle that begins misbehaving is to hook it up to a scanner loaded with the software for that exact drivetrain. Download and interpret all the malfunction indicator codes to see where the problem is. The old fashioned way of trying to diagnose a problem based on the actions of the vehicle is not good enough in these days of electronic marvels. Do you know the malfunction indicator codes?
Old 01-04-2017, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no idea of the trans code lol
Old 01-04-2017, 01:20 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by e_szalay
no idea of the trans code lol

Then your first step is to find a shop that has the correct scanner loaded with the correct software for your exact drivetrain. The Ford dealer is a sure bet for having the correct equipment.
Old 01-06-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Could be totally off base, but my Lincoln LS V8 transmission used to go haywire when the spark plug coils went bad causing misfires. If i was on the highway and really got on the gas, the transmission would act like it shifted to neutral and the engine would free-rev before reengaging with a slam. Sounds kind of similar. A lot of times it wouldnt trigger a mis-fire CEL, but after the transmision did this I would get a couple of transmission related CEL's.

This usually happened when the valve cover gaskets failed and the COP's were soaked with oil, which was all the time on that car. I think i changed the gaskets twice if not three times in less than 100,000 miles.

Last edited by mass-hole; 01-06-2017 at 12:46 PM.