Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wire plug in sockets.

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Trailer wire plug in sockets.

On my 2010 F-150 with tow package, there are a pair of trailer plug sockets, one 7-pin and one 4-pin, mounted under the rear bumper next to the hitch receiver. Both work, but because of the Ford design, you can't plug into the 7-pin socket and the 4-pin socket at the same time. The spring loaded dust covers interfere with each other when an attempt is made to open both covers at the same time.

The solution is remove one of the spring loaded covers.

Now I can insert the plugs from both trailers , each on its own circuit to the truck. The trailer wiring harness and fuses in the truck are still common for both sockets.

I did not want to fish out the wiring harness in the travel trailer since that would void the warranty and the travel trailer is only 1 month old. I don't want to have to mess with that warranty. Especially after unauthorized user modifications. Much better to run 30 feet of 4 conductor trailer wire under the frame of the travel trailer.

Here's the rig during the electrical test.

And with all lights working.

Old 08-14-2013, 04:35 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

I don't know what state your in but it is totally illegal to tow a trailer behind a bumper pull set up like yours [fed DOT regs.] you can only pull a 2nd trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer and only if the rear trailer is equipt with breakaway brakes.
I know this is also the law in most states and prov's. so you might want to research before you hit the road
Old 08-14-2013, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
I don't know what state your in but it is totally illegal to tow a trailer behind a bumper pull set up like yours [fed DOT regs.] you can only pull a 2nd trailer behind a 5th wheel trailer and only if the rear trailer is equipt with breakaway brakes. I know this is also the law in most states and prov's. so you might want to research before you hit the road

Don't know what country you are in where fed DOT regs prohibit this rig.
You might want to reserach before dispensing legal advice.
I'm from Texas which anyone can read in my signature.

I did my research about a month ago, but thanks for the friendly advice.

3 or 4 states require the first trailer be a 5th wheel design, like Wisconson and Michigan, etc.
I don't plan to travel in any of those states where my rig is illegal (and there are several of them).
Old 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Good luck backing it up!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

SailorDon, I'd like to shake your hand pard. You must have a giant set is all I can say. I'd never have the nads to try that.I'm envious sir, not meaning to be critical. Good luck....
Old 08-16-2013, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by PHX 150
Good luck backing it up!
I thought that every trailer camping park had an expert driver on call 24/7 to back up my rig for me!

Or I could unhitch my 500 pound boat and trailer combination and push it out of the way so I can back up my travel trailer by myself.

Last edited by SailorDon; 08-16-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 08-19-2013, 03:53 PM

I weighed the boat trailer this morning before getting it registered.

I was surprised to find it only weighs 250 pounds.

Boat and trailer weigh 400 pounds.

Conclusion: No Problem.

Quick Reply: Trailer wire plug in sockets.