Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer tow package option codes

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2015, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer tow package option codes

Where can you find when searching new trucks on lots what option code trailer package the truck has. Model option 53c vs 53a. Don't see it on the window stickers?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Look on the window sticker under optional equipment. If it has max tow it says "Max trailer tow package"
The following users liked this post:
Nonrev59 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 11:12 AM

Default Model Option Codes

Thanks for the reply. Yes I do see that on stickers but different codes for tow packages for F150. Standard, 53A, 53B, 53C. And they all add features from standard 4-pin harness that I get is the standard bumper all the way to 53C which I'm assuming is the max package with 7-pin , hitch receiver , trains oil cooler, upgraded front stabilizer bar, upgraded back axle ,bumper, trailer brake.....So when looking at stickers it only mentions max towing or tow package. So there is two more packages 53,a and 53 b that have different options and without know which one it is then just stating tow package then unless you find out if the front stabilizer bar is upgraded you wouldn't know which one. Long story for it just seems easier if they stated the Option Code on sticker. I had asked a dealer one day looking in lot and for him to figure it out took him digging down into the computer. Max is simple but Just saying tow package doesn't really say which one. Sorry for the long reply. Thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

53c max tow is only for 3.5 ecoboost engines. It has everything in 53a plus a 3.55 electric locker rear end, heavier bumper and integrated electric brake controller.

53a will say trailer tow- it includes 4/7 pin connectors, aux tranny cooler, Class IV hitch, upgraded front sway bar and if its a 3.5 ecoboost will have an engine oil cooler

53b will just say class IV trailer hitch on the sticker- it includes 4/7 pin connectors and Class IV hitch receiver

Trailer brake controller is included with 53c but an option for 53a and 53b

I believe that standard means you don't even get a receiver hitch

The only way to get a heavier axle is to get max payload.
The following 4 users liked this post by johndeerefarmer:
Boomerweps (05-18-2021), Gene K (09-06-2019), JC Mooney (09-08-2019), Nonrev59 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts

Good info johndeere. My King ranch eco has the 53A tow pkg and the FX-4 pkg picks up the 3:55 elec locking rear plus the KR comes with the factory brake controller. So with certain packages you can get everything in the max tow except for the upgraded rear bumber. I say who bumper tows anymore anyway??
Nonrev59 (12-29-2015)
Old 12-29-2015, 08:44 PM

Like Tx said, good info there JD. Now it's making more sense. Wasn't noticing that there was only the two packages when I loaded up the 3.5 EB. I'm not sure on that EB, been a V8 guy. Was mostly looking at the packages with V8 and didn't notice that Max tow was only EB. Thought that 53c was the heavy duty one. On their towing chart it should explain that like you said. Guess it seems funny to me that both packages are not available on the V8 but I guess the EB doesn't need the engine oil cooler, so they through in the brake controller , oh yea and that upgraded bumper that like Tx said who the heck bumper tows. So know it all makes sense. But I will ask, I've been checking the posts on V6-EB vs V8 and I see the Torgue difference but everyone seems to like both but spinning turbos all the time and towing would make me nervous with a EB or fixing turbos years down the road. Want to buy a mid size travel trailer and travel down the road. What do you think stay with V8. That's why I'm concerned with the tow packages. Only really towed work trailers and boats. Thanks
Old 12-30-2015, 12:18 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Nonrev59
But I will ask, I've been checking the posts on V6-EB vs V8 and I see the Torgue difference but everyone seems to like both but spinning turbos all the time and towing would make me nervous with a EB or fixing turbos years down the road. Want to buy a mid size travel trailer and travel down the road. What do you think stay with V8.

Ford knows turbos.

I bought a new '99.5 PowerStroke turbo diesel and put 200,000 mostly-towing miles on it. Not one problem, even though I hot-rodded it with an 80-tow tune. So I had no qualms about ordering a new 2012 F-150 with 3.5L twin-turbo Ecoboost engine. 55,000 mostly-towing miles on that now, and no expense other than oil changes and a couple of tires. Shocks are worn now, so I ordered a set of Bilsteins last week.

My only complaint with my twin-turbo EcoBoost is the MPG is no better than a good V8. Around 10 MPG when towing 5,000 pounds, and 15 MPG when running 79 MPH unloaded.

You have your answer on the various trailer tow packages. 53a is the normal trailer tow pkg that's standard on most trim levels. . Then 53c is the max tow pkg. 53b is not a tow pkg but only a receiver hitch - the receiver and harness/plug for the low-trim level XL and XLT that does not have the standard trailer tow pkg.

Last edited by smokeywren; 12-30-2015 at 12:47 PM.
Nonrev59 (12-30-2015)
Old 08-11-2019, 05:05 PM

I have a 2016 F150 lariat with sport appearance package with tow. I was trying to figure the 53A,B,C I have the 5.0L and integrated electric brake controller, electric 3.55 rr axle, tow assist, tow haul mode, FX4 offroad. Sounds like the 53C you described except obviously no eco-boost..???

I do see where it says Equipment group 501A but not 53A
Old 08-12-2019, 03:41 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!
a nearly 4 year old dead thread, brought back to Life.
13XLTEco (08-14-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Nonrev59
..., oh yea and that upgraded bumper that like Tx said who the heck bumper tows. ...
Well. since we're bringing back an ancient thread, I'll clarify one more point. The "upraded rear bumper" is a poor description of part of the max tow pkg (53C). It's actually an upgraded receiver hitch. The rear bumper has three options for the center section of the frame of the bumper. Standard is the ball mount built into the "step'" of the bumper with a "reinforcemen" plate thet includes the step but no receiver; In other words, a "bumper hitch". Add the regular towing package (53A) or optional "Class IV trailer hitch" (53B) and the Class IV hitch is added to the frame of the rear bumper center section. Or add the max tow pkg (53C) and a heavier-duty (but still Class IV) receiver hitch gets added to the rear bumper center section.

So although the rear bumper is a bit different from the rear bumper without the max tow pkg, the big difference with the max tow pkg is the "upgraded" receiver hitch.

Quick Reply: Trailer tow package option codes