Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer lights problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trailer lights problem

I bought a new travel trailer 10 days ago. The trailer lights worked when I picked up the trailer. I have driven the combination on a few short drives. I think the lights were working. Tonight the trailer lights do not work. I have tried reseating the round 7 wire plug a couple of times - nothing. The inside trailer lights work. The truck lights work. None of the outside trailer lights work. I checked the fuse box on the trailer - nothing.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 147 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by jhglaw
I bought a new travel trailer 10 days ago. The trailer lights worked when I picked up the trailer. I have driven the combination on a few short drives. I think the lights were working. Tonight the trailer lights do not work. I have tried reseating the round 7 wire plug a couple of times - nothing. The inside trailer lights work. The truck lights work. None of the outside trailer lights work. I checked the fuse box on the trailer - nothing.

Any suggestions?
There should be a separate trailer lighting fuse in the truck.
Old 08-29-2013, 12:12 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

get a meter or test light. See if you have power at the truck side of the connector, ie turn on the headlights, do you have power, turn signals, brake lights. If you've got power there, it may be a bad ground. If no power, you may have a blown fuse caused by a short in the trailer wiring.....
Old 08-29-2013, 12:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tip about the trailer lights fuse in the truck. I popped the lid to the fuse/relay box in front of the engine. The fuses are not labeled so I just pushed them all to make sure they were fully seated. One of the fuses moved quite a bit when I pushed it. That put the trailer lights on. Thanks again.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm trying to get lights on my trailer. I plugged the trailer to my truck. The tail lights are working, but none of the other lights are working. I have a F-150 crew 4x4 2009.
I don not have a owners manual, I bought the truck used and the manual was not there. I looked under the hood at the fuse box, but none are labeled. Is there any other fuses for the towing package located any where else? Any help will be greatly appreciated. The only power I'm getting is the tail lights, no other power to the plug.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:59 PM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen Barrron
I'm trying to get lights on my trailer. I plugged the trailer to my truck. The tail lights are working, but none of the other lights are working. I have a F-150 crew 4x4 2009.
I don not have a owners manual, I bought the truck used and the manual was not there. I looked under the hood at the fuse box, but none are labeled. Is there any other fuses for the towing package located any where else? Any help will be greatly appreciated. The only power I'm getting is the tail lights, no other power to the plug.
Yes there is another fuse box in the cab. I think it is fuse 41 or 42 that is for the trailer brake/signals

Quick Reply: trailer lights problem