Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer brake weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trailer brake weight

At what weight do trailers start coming equipped with trailer brakes?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:38 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=trailer+brakes+weight

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/

Depends on the state.
The following users liked this post:
BCMIF150 (10-03-2016)
Old 10-06-2016, 05:20 AM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

I bought a Rockwood model 1610 popup camper new (2004) and it was available with or without brakes. 2287 pound GVWR, 1574 "dry weight". It had a 8' camping "box" and a two-front cargo box built in front of it. My tow vehicle at the time was a Gen 1 Hyundai Santa Fe. The trailer was within the limits of the Hyundai only if it had trailer brakes, as the towing capacities of the vehicle were published in the owner's manual with and without trailer brakes. Without trailer brakes the Hyundai would not have been able to tow it. The very large RV dealership I bought from had several in stock, and would either have to order a new one in or, as they did, order in a new axle with the trailer brakes and swap out the axle.

While trailer brakes may not be required by the state you live in or the vehicle you drive, I would demand them on any trailer larger than a lawn-mower sized utility trailer or smaller boat trailer. Even if not required, they would increase your resale value and what could be wrong with a little more safety?
Old 10-06-2016, 06:42 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Most states require brakes at 3000 lbs some at 2000 lbs GTW. If it were me I would opt to have brakes if they are an option.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Lobstar1
At what weight do trailers start coming equipped with trailer brakes?

Requirement for trailer brakes varies by state/province, but most manufacturers of travel trailers want to meet the most restrictive requirements of any state, so they use 1,000 pounds GVWR as the lightest trailer that can go out of the assembly plant without trailer brakes. Here's that state with 1,000 pound requirement for a "house trailer":
North Carolina

Every ... house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

Texas says 4,500 pounds, but you'd have to be a real dummy if you tired to tow a trailer without trailer brakes that weighs almost 4,500 pounds.
Old 10-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Groveite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Requirement for trailer brakes varies by state/province, but most manufacturers of travel trailers want to meet the most restrictive requirements of any state, so they use 1,000 pounds GVWR as the lightest trailer that can go out of the assembly plant without trailer brakes. Here's that state with 1,000 pound requirement for a "house trailer":
North Carolina

Every ... house trailer weighing at least 1,000 lbs., shall be equipped with brakes controlled or operated by the driver of the towing vehicle.

Texas says 4,500 pounds, but you'd have to be a real dummy if you tired to tow a trailer without trailer brakes that weighs almost 4,500 pounds.
Interesting to note that the NC requirement would eliminate surge brakes ...I had a couple of smaller trailers that had those....

Quick Reply: trailer brake weight