Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 02:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Trailer Brake Issue

After hooking up my 28 ft. camping trailer to my 2015 XLT with 7 pin connector (53a tow package). I get the trailer "connected" message on the info display. I had previously set up my trailers in the display. I noticed that when I manually engage the trailer brake from the TBC I can see the green "power" boxes (in info display) light up as I increase braking. However...., when I step on the brake pedal, only the first box lights up no matter how hard I push on the brake pedal. It also seems the brake pedal itself has some "mushiness" to it. Although, the brakes do not feel too bad when being used (truck only), I have felt firmer brakes in previous Ford trucks.

Anyone run into this before or have any thoughts?

Will be calling the dealer tomorrow but thought there might be a chance I am misunderstanding something.
Old 01-01-2016, 02:11 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

What do you have the gain set at? Try it when hooked up and moving with the gain turned up to 6 or 7 and heavy braking

Last edited by bubbabud; 01-01-2016 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by bubbabud
What do you have the gain set at? Try it when hooked up and moving with the gain turned up to 6 or 7 and heavy braking

Thanks for the response. I did try as you suggested. With the gain set at 7 and under heavy braking the info display only reflected one box lit. I have not tried using the manual brake on the TBC while towing yet. However, with trailer connected and just sitting in the driveway, when you start to move the slider on the TBC, the boxes light up like a Christmas tree. I would expect the brake pedal to have a similar reaction. Perhaps I am mistaken?

Would be nice to know specifically, how pressure on the brake pedal increase trailer brake power. Wish I had a wiring diagram! ;-)
Old 01-01-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 367 Likes on 305 Posts

I maybe wrong... but with my 13 ..the tbc seems to work with the trucks wheel speed sensors....the faster the truck is slowing down the more the trailer brakes grab.....so sitting in a stopped setting the trailer gain will only work as much as needed to slow/stop the trailer as the truck speed sensors are not seeing movement..
Old 01-01-2016, 05:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

What is the result when towing that trailer with the gain set on 7 and cruising at 45 MPH on dry pavement, then you try to push the brake pedal to the floor?

It sounds like you are testing while you are parked on the driveway.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like normal operation. When braking while driving brake controller senses deceleration and increases current. Aftermarket controller uses a swinging arm.

Manual means just that, your bypassing the electronics.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:03 PM

Again, I appreciate the responses but apparently I wasn't clear. While towing the trailer, and applying brakes (with gain at 7), I never got more than one box lit in the info display. I tried applying heavy brakes. Didn't make any difference.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:04 PM

I do understand now, why I will not see the pedal light up more than one box while sitting in the driveway however! Unfortunately, that is the case when I am towing as well.
Old 01-02-2016, 09:16 PM

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

When I am sitting still and press the brake pedal I get multiple bars lit up. The wheel speed sensors are used to detect trailer sway, not vary brake pressure input from the driver.
The following users liked this post:
Captain Bob (01-07-2016)
Old 01-03-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by wrvond
The wheel speed sensors are used to detect trailer sway, not vary brake pressure input from the driver.
The Integrated Brake Controller definitely reduces trailer brake voltages at lower speeds.

As a result it's very smooth at all speeds, compared to the after-market solutions.

Quick Reply: Trailer Brake Issue