Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer brake controller...

Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Trailer brake controller...

I have an 08 f150 stx with the factory tow package and was wondering if I had a trailer brake controller from the factory. The newer f150s have a slider adjuster but I dont see one of those on mine. Do I need to buy one or is there one installed from the factory? If not are they hard to install?
Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I highly doubt you have one. I bought the factory connector with mine and it was plug and play. Really easy. Just had to screw in the mounting screws for the holder. The connection should be above the brake up just a little. No hard wiring needed.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Ford Dealership

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jerrybizzle
I highly doubt you have one. I bought the factory connector with mine and it was plug and play. Really easy. Just had to screw in the mounting screws for the holder. The connection should be above the brake up just a little. No hard wiring needed.

This is 100% right, there is already a spot in your factory wiring harness for a brake controller to be plugged in. Go to the dealership and buy the harness, then color match the wires from your brake controller to it and plug it in.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:52 PM

Received 1,388 Likes on 664 Posts

You dont have to go to Ford for the harness, most trailer supply shops will have the pigtail, mine came with my controller when I bought it. Installation was super easy.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did the same. Bought the controller and Ford pigtail adapter from etrailer.com
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Jerry

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Kman66
I just did the same. Bought the controller and Ford pigtail adapter from etrailer.com
This is what I did as well. A hundred bucks for the controller and adapter.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:14 PM
6" fabtech+ 3" leveling

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

i have the adapter for 10 bucks shipped
Old 05-07-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your glove box. Many trucks with a factory 7-way connection were provided with the brake controller harness in a plastic bag. Check prices on the harness before you buy one. I've heard of stealerships charging way too much. etrailer.com is a decent source of parts. uhaul and some auto parts stores should have them for around ten dollars. BTW, this is just refering to the harness for the connection under the dash to the controller itself. If you just have a 4-flat and not a factory 7-way on the back of the truck, you have a bit more work in store. On an 08, the factory 7-way/4-flat combo should look a bit like a fat, black tylenol split in two little doors.

The number one mistake people make is mounting the unit without checking placement. Attach whatever controller you buy to its mount and hold it in the position you want to mount it while sitting in the seat. Move your legs like you would if you were driving. You want the controller out of the way but still accessible to your hands if you need to hit the manual switch. Mounting is not hard but take your time. Keep in mind some controllers must be mounted a certain way. Read your instructions.

Before you buy a controller, read a bit about the difference between inertial and time delay controllers. Each have pros and cons. What you choose is going to depend mainly on budget, what you are towing (variety or same trailer every time), how you want to mount the controller, and the terrain you will frequent.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts

I just had a brake box installed when I bought my travel trailer and it was plug and play. Got a digital brake box with easy adjustment and no problems towing 6300lbs plus all my junk in the truck and trailer.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 06 has the pigtail I'm the glove box

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Trailer brake controller...