Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toy haulers..can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Toy haulers..can it be done?

I know conventional wisdom is that toy haulers are too much for half tons. I am interested in one not because I need the carry capacity but I need the open floor plan to throw a few kayaks in there. I saw and loved the raptor 22fs but it carries 650 hitch, 26 feet and 5500 pounds. I would estimate my packing to be a few hundred pounds. Unfortunately I do not have the max tow with my Eco.

Can this be safely pulled off? Is there a toy hauler or open travel trailer that would work? Kayaks are a major part of my camping and I cannot locate any models under 25 feet.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever see these. Expensive but, perhaps it's what you need

http://www.vrvtoyhauler.com/
Old 08-05-2013, 09:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not put kayak racks on your truck and get a regular camper?

The issue you will run in to with toy haulers is they tend to have a heavy dry hitch weight, because they are designed to have heavy stuff loaded behind the rear axle which decreases hitch weight.

You don't mention what axle ratio your truck has or what your payload rating is.

Edit: Looked up the actual specs on the trailer. 5500lb dry but GVWR is almost 11k. A full load of water, fuel and propane will add about 1000lb right off the bat. The standard "options" usually aren't included in the dry weight either (a/c, gen, etc). Even just loading it with kayaks could put you up close to 8000lbs.

Last edited by Flash!; 08-05-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 02:13 PM

Yeah, I guess that is probably what I will need to do. Either that or take a bath on my truck and go larger. I really liked the open floorplan of the toy hauler as well. It gave an incredible amount of floor space without adding overall length. It would also let me store the kayaks safely inside if I was gone for the day from the campground. Thanks for the feedback, I will probably need to go back to the drawing board.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:37 AM

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

opportunity for lots of water for boondocking.
any tongue weight you want, just add water

Or get the wheels moved forward..
Old 08-06-2013, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by frieed
opportunity for lots of water for boondocking.
any tongue weight you want, just add water

Or get the wheels moved forward..
Yeah this is why I keep considering it. Traditional travel trailers of the same length appear to have a 100-200 less tongue weight but in most I would need to load cargo in the front. In a 5500 pound toy hauler I could load all cargo I have in the back and keep it out of the truck and off of the tongue. The hauler is designed for the weight back there. In other words, am I no worse off with this 26 foot trailer versus a travel trailer?
Old 08-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Limp Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Here's our Toy Hauler.

2008 Starcraft. Front 'porch' will carry three bikes or two BIG quads. Approx. 8200 lbs gross. Our `11 FX2 5.0 pulled it alright with an EZ Lift WD hitch.

Last edited by panthercity; 08-06-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Toy haulers..can it be done?