Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Setup Tips Anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Setup Tips Anyone??

Hey, so I've got a '15 f150 EB, pulling a trailer that's approx 7000-7500lbs. Been noticing that the trailer seems to be pulling me around probably more than it should be on highways. I've got a wdh, but no sway controller(which i hear dont actually do much for heavier trailers). wondering if there's anything i can do to make things more stable? would air bags help? upgrade wdh?? (purchased mine from trailer dealership that sold me my trailer so figured it would be good). or anything else?

any help would be great! really don't wanna get rid of trailer or buy a bigger truck!

Cheers
Old 07-19-2016, 07:51 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodnar
which i hear dont actually do much for heavier trailers
Been listening to the wrong people, I'm guessing they are only familiar with friction bar sway control. You need to look at a high quality hitch with integrated sway control this will make your towing experience much, much better. Blue OX, Reese Straitline, Hensley Arrow just to mention a few.
The following users liked this post:
Bodnar (07-19-2016)
Old 07-19-2016, 10:45 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by lewisra
Been listening to the wrong people, I'm guessing they are only familiar with friction bar sway control. You need to look at a high quality hitch with integrated sway control this will make your towing experience much, much better. Blue OX, Reese Straitline, Hensley Arrow just to mention a few.
+1

There's also the Equil-izer, Reese have good ones...
Old 07-19-2016, 10:59 AM

Received 139 Likes on 92 Posts

Before you run out and throw money at it, wouldn't hurt to verify that your WDH is set up correctly. Youtube has some great videos that show step by step how to set one up. Measure the height of the hitch, and wheel well before and after loading and then adjust accordingly. When your trailer is hooked to the truck it should be level or slightly nose down.

Also, how is your trailer loaded? Mine tows great with empty tanks but if I tow it when they are full it's a little less great. Anyway, check uot how your trailer is loaded to make sure it's balanced.

If you have checked all these things and still aren't happy, then maybe a new hitch would be in order. Did you mention what type of hitch you have?

Then again, maybe you would benefit from helper springs, or something else to upgrade your truck.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

You don't sound real certain of your weight.
I have the same truck but 2012 and with 3:31 rearend. My trailer will be 7200# to 7300# depending on how much beer I put in the ice chest. I have no problem pulling that weight.
I've got the standard WDH supplied by my dealer, too.
I'll make an assumption here. If I'm wrong, just ignore. You are running stock P-rated tires. If so, air up tires to maximum pressure (shown on sidewall) while towing.
I run the same stock P-rated on mine.
Then you have to make certain your tongue weight is good.
Get your set up right, then head to the scales. Find your actual trailer weight and tongue weight.
Sway bars are excellent for helping with strong crosswinds or 18 wheelers passing you.
But, what you are describing needs to be figured out with set up (before adding a sway bar).
The sway bars are only to help with strong winds and passing big trucks. Not to "fix" your set up.

Last edited by humblerb; 07-19-2016 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very good point on tires. Sway control controls sway for many more situations other than wind and trucks, though those are the main 2 you'll be confronted with. Depending on the trunnion bars you have, you may be able to add on the reese dual cam(straightline).
Old 07-19-2016, 11:56 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by lewisra
Very good point on tires. Sway control controls sway for many more situations other than wind and trucks, though those are the main 2 you'll be confronted with. Depending on the trunnion bars you have, you may be able to add on the reese dual cam(straightline).
You are right about the sway bars. I just meant to emphasize that sway bars should not be used to get rid of an every day tracking problem. gotta figure out the problem before adding sway bars.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Trailbreak74
Before you run out and throw money at it, wouldn't hurt to verify that your WDH is set up correctly. Youtube has some great videos that show step by step how to set one up. Measure the height of the hitch, and wheel well before and after loading and then adjust accordingly. When your trailer is hooked to the truck it should be level or slightly nose down.
I've done lots of searching and, to my knowledge, my wdh is setup correctly...the only thing that might not be good is you mentioned that onced hooked up the trailer should be level, or close to? that I'm not exactly sure about, when it's hooked up, my rear end has a good 4 inch drop, so maybe I should try compensating for that as well??
Old 07-21-2016, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by humblerb
You don't sound real certain of your weight.

Then you have to make certain your tongue weight is good.
Get your set up right, then head to the scales. Find your actual trailer weight and tongue weight.
you're right, I'm not exactly sure of the weight of my trailer when I'm pulling it. I;ve been meaning to find a hwy scale....but not sure how to check the actual tongue weight...I've read about jimmy rigging a bathroom scale or something but haven't gone that far as to setting anything up...
Old 07-21-2016, 09:47 AM

Received 434 Likes on 291 Posts

4 inch drop or the trucks rear is too much, IMO. I make adjustments.....After it's all adjusted, you need a friction sway control.

Quick Reply: Towing Setup Tips Anyone??