Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing Question

So I was watching the Daytona 500 commercials and started wondering....I am new to 4 wheel drive and have a F150 XLT and my question is ....

If I am towing to the max pulling wt. do I put it in two wheel drive where all the work is done in the rear or do I put it in four wheel drive and divide the work between the two drive trains? Just an inexperienced thought
Old 02-24-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

On asphalt, tow in 2wd. The drive train can handle it. you would be more prone to wear out your transfer case in 4wd.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:42 AM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Only use 4wd when you need it. Not advisable on asphalt. Obviously if it's going to make the difference in you staying on the road and flying into the embankment because of bad weather you should use it, but at a very reduced speed.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Whether towing or not, your XLT's 4-wheel drive is only for "part-time" use on very slippery roads. Think off-road and deep snow, definitely not on dry asphalt.

The Lariat model and above 4x4's come with a "full-time" 4x4 mode that you can use in partially slippery or dry conditions. But, not sure, if there's a fixed power split between front and rear axles. Have heard it's a very fast clutch pack that switches in the front drive when needed. For towing, I would stick to 2 wheel drive unless things get slippery.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:06 AM
for fastening fabric

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

u have 1 "drive train". when u are in 2 wheel drive, power is only sent to ur rear wheels. when ur in 4 wheel drive, some stuff clicks and magic happens and power is sent to both front and rear wheels.

theres no "dividing the power" between them. u only have 1 engine as input for ur transmission.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:36 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

As others have stated, 4WD is not to be used on high traction surfaces. I've only used 4WD when towing a few times. Almost always when trying to back into an RV site where I encountered wet grass and had rear wheel spin. Only other time was scrambling up a steep unimproved national forest service road while pulling the RV to a remote campsite.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:15 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

4WD is for traction only. You can drive at hwy speed in 4WD but only on a slippery surface like snow (not rain). Driving on good hwy's at hwy speeds is a very bad idea. Any imperfection or difference in tire size caused by normal wear can cause 1 set of tires to turn at a slightly different speed than the other set. After a mile of so the difference in tire speeds sets up tremendous stress in the drive train and it can tear anything from the axles to the transfer case apart. This goes double for 4-low where the torque that the engine sends to the wheels is more than doubled and the truck will easily tear itself to pieces. 4-low must NEVER be used in high traction areas unless it is very temporary like pulling another truck out of a ditch.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:57 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

Well....it might depend on what 4x4 system you have!!

My 2013 4x4 has a "4A" (4x4 Auto) mode, and the Owner's Manual seems to indicate there's no problem driving in 4A on the highway. Here's a picture of the controller:

And here's what the manual says:

Using the 2-Speed Automatic 4WD System (If Equipped)
This system includes an electronically controlled transfer case with a high capacity clutch. The system is interactive with the road, continually monitoring and adjusting torque delivery to the front and rear wheels to optimize traction.
• 2H (4X2) - delivers power to the rear wheels only. This mode is appropriate for normal on-road driving on dry pavement and provides best fuel economy and smoothness.
• 4A (4X4 AUTO) - provides electronic control four-wheel drive with power delivered to the front and rear wheels, as required, for increased traction. This is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions, including as dry road surfaces, but is especially useful on wet pavement, snow, dirt, or gravel.
• 4H (4X4 HIGH) - provides electronically locked four-wheel drive power to front and rear wheels. This position is not recommended for use on dry pavement. This position is only intended for severe winter or off-road conditions, such as deep snow, ice or shallow sand. Note: Do not use 4H (4X4 HIGH) on dry, hard surfaced roads...
• 4L (4X4 LOW) - provides electronically locked four-wheel drive
when extra power at reduced speeds is required. This position is not recommended for use on dry pavement. Use this position for off-road low-speed operation...
So...the part I bold-faced above says that in the 4A mode of operation: "This is appropriate for all on-road driving conditions...", and says even "dry road surfaces".

I would say that 2H (4x2) should normally be used, and it says that mode "provides best fuel economy and smoothness", but it sounds like using 4A mode is perfectly okay.

Bob

Last edited by KR Kodi; 02-27-2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added picture of controller
Old 02-27-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Yes, 4x4 Auto is the "full-time" 4x4 mode only available in the Lariat and above. Pretty sure it uses a fast clutch-pack to switch into 4x4 when it detects slippage in 4x2.
Old 02-28-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It DOES NOT depend on the 4 wheel drive system you have and do not confuse 4x4 with AWD which a completely different thing. 4-auto is a 4x4 with a fairly complex system where the trucks computer engages and disengages the front hubs on a temporary basis. Once the computer determines that 4x4 is not needed it disengages it so that you are not using 4x4 in high traction conditions.

There is absolutely no slip between the front and rear axles on a 4x4 so if the front wheels are going faster than the rear wheels due to things like uneven tire wear, even by a very small amount, than the transfer case will see a tremendous amount torque due to the different drive shaft speeds. Its very easy to illustrate. Take what ever your tire size is now and throw the next size up on the front only. Put the truck in 4x4 and drive. You won't make it to the end of your street.

Quick Reply: Towing Question