Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing With An Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Resident Piñata

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Towing With An Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab

Towing With An Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab

I pulled a 23’ 6,500 lb. travel trailer all across the U.S. with a 2012 Crew Cab 4x4 Ecoboost. I traveled from California to the East Coast across I-40 to Tennessee and North Carolina and then down through the South, Florida, New Orleans and home again on the so boring I-10. I promised to give a report on how the Ecoboost performed for those interested in how it compares to towing with a diesel.

I’ve been pulling travel trailers for 45 years so I know a thing or two about them both 5th wheel and ball & hitch type. I’ve pulled the same size trailer with both the Dodge Cummins and the Chevy Duramax, as well as Ford 460 C.I.D. big block gasoline engines, so I can offer a good comparison. First of all, I was running and Edge Programmer on the 87 octane economy setting that gives the 3.5L Ecoboost another 50+/- H.P. It has plenty of power in all situations and I only had one short “Ecoboost Stumble” incident in the rain. On an earlier trip on the Coast of Oregon in the rain it stumbled so badly I had to pull over to the shoulder and restart it.

The Ecoboost 3.5L does not seem to pull quite as strongly as my 2009 Chevy Duramax did. It is more comparable to the smaller 5.9L Cummins diesel in Dodges around 2004. In any case it has plenty of power to do anything I need to do in traffic or in the mountains. The built in braking control from Ford is a dream compared to add on brake controls. Smooth as can be! You don’t even know the trailer is there as you go from highway speeds to 25 MPH through a town. Very smooth braking. The transmission seemed much like the Allison transmission in Chevys, which is a very good thing! I also prefer the older “friction” type sway bars as you can release them completely when backing up in sand or grave and not have the trailer get locked up in a odd postion fighting a sway bar that cannot be released. For novices, always have the front of a trailer “slightly” lower than the rear or you will get trailer sway! Some people never get that as they sway all over the highway when the nose is up and can’t figure why! Dangerous! Always test how the trailer will act in an emergency lane change! Does it follow the tow vehicle without swaying? If it doesn't it is not set up correctly! (See the picture of my trailer as to the front being lower. Mine is very, slightly below level. Too low in the front is much safer than too high in the front! Test different adjustments on the chain length for best ride and without sway!)

As far as mileage, I would say it is just about the same as a GM Duramax or a Cummins. I suspect a little better than a Ford big block diesel. It probably averaged 9 to 11 MPG based on the wind and grades. A little better when level and no wind which was rare! Being May, we ran into a lot of wind & just ducked the tornadoes! After the bragging is over, most trucks won’t pull a big rectangle through the wind and get much more than 11 MPG. 87 octane gasoline was about 10% cheaper which probably kept the fuel cost about the same as any diesel pickup. The Ecoboost pulls far more like a diesel than a gasoline engine.

In my opinion the "BIG" reason to buy a Ecoboost is the lower initial price and the fact that the lighter engine & front suspension makes them ride far nicer when you are not towing and driving around town.

I’ll be 72 in december and have been everywhere in the U.S. at least three times over the years, so I’m selling my brand new 2012 Northwood “all Season” 21 ft. trailer after one trip and doing my traveling overseas from now on! I may even sell my truck although I love it! I might keep it for my varmint hunting trips even if I’m not towing anymore! It gets about 18 MPG around town and about 22 on the highway! Not bad for a pickup! I’ve found you can take a nap with the A/C on and it runs nice and cool.

In any case I hope this hopefully objective report from and retired science teacher on my towing experience with an Ecoboost helps someone know what to expect especially if they are thinking of buying an Ecoboost for towing. Hard to believe a 3.5L engine tows so well.

Hope my Opinyawn helps someone!

If you have any questions ask them before I get banned in the Politics Section again which could be any moment now! LOL!

P.S. If you want a great deal and and save about $6500.00 from new prices see the floor plan of my new 21' Northwood Desert Fox "all season" top quality trailer with one only trip on it! Click on these addresses! It's a great buy! If I don't sell it I'll be forced to travel up & down the Pacific Coast with it! I can't handle the across country trips any more! It's too long across the plains states after doing it many, many times! "The thrill is gone" for those long, long drives! Sorry long boring stretchs of I-70, I-40 and the most boring of all I-10! LOL!

See inside of trailer at:

My RV Trader sales ad with more details is at:

http://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2012...Foot-110435307

Last edited by opinyawn; 05-29-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:13 PM

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

great story, nice to here a comparative, and I would guess un-biased opinion from someone who knows what they are talking about.

hope you enjoy your over-seas tours, as much as you've enjoyed your US ones.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting read from someone who clearly has towed for years.

I am new to towing. I have a 26 foot travel trailer that weighs 4700 dry.

I had a 2011 F250 Diesel but it was too much truck for me so I traded in for a 2013 Ecoboost F150. I didnt get the tow package and I should have, but honestly it tows great and I dont feel that it is underpowered at all.

I also sometimes have two MX bikes in the bed which weigh 220lbs each, and usually 3 adults in the cabin.

Considering my truck has a max cargo of 1194, and the tongue weight is 570 on that TT, I know I am either pushing my limits or over them.

Yet, it still tows great!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by skollar
Considering my truck has a max cargo of 1194, and the tongue weight is 570 on that TT, I know I am either pushing my limits or over them.
You're probably well below the GCWR, which is an indicator of how much trailer weight you can pull without overheating something in he drivetrain. But you're probably overloaded over the GVWR, which is an indicator of how much hitch weight you can haul without exceeding the weight capacity of the truck's suspension.

Mine has max cargo weight of over 1,300 pounds, but I'm overloaded with a trailer that grosses only 4,780 with 650 pounds of hitch weight.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:34 PM
Resident Piñata

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Have fun guys!
Old 05-29-2013, 08:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct... Engine and transmission/gears are probably fine, but I am overdoing the suspension.

I do have a WDH, and I know its done properly so maybe I am ok.

We also put as much weight in the rear of the RV as possible to try to offset the weight from the front of the RV.

Do you know what might be the results of over load the suspension? It rides fine and I am very careful to accelerate and stop slowly, and I never go above 65mph.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:17 PM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I really have a hard time believing a eco can even remotely compare to a newer diesel. The diesels I drive pull 40 foot tri axle campers like they are tent trailers. The ecos a good motor, but a diesel is god of towing
Old 05-31-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Wisdom
I really have a hard time believing a eco can even remotely compare to a newer diesel. The diesels I drive pull 40 foot tri axle campers like they are tent trailers. The ecos a good motor, but a diesel is god of towing
Comparable to older diesels. Function of gears, more trans gears etc all help less power act stronger. Multiplication is key
Old 05-31-2013, 09:00 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Torque isn't the end all of towing. All you need is HP and gears. I'd rather have a 365HP eco (380 if you look close on the Ford dyno screen in the torture video and most chassis dyno tests) than an old diesel. New diesel, sure, no comparison.
Old 05-31-2013, 10:31 PM

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I'm a diesel guy deep down, but I guess to each their own. Nothing gets the blood pumping like a modded out diesel burning rubber pulling huge trailers down the highway haha

Quick Reply: Towing With An Ecoboost 4x4 Crew Cab