Go Back   Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
L2C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Towing with 5star tune

I towed my boat this weekend with the 87 tune from 5star. The power was there. It felt like the boat wasn't even on the truck. It's a 28 foot boat and the dry weight is 5k lbs. i got about 6 mpg on it. I was hoping I would get 10mpg. I had an avalanche that I traded in for the f150 eb. I was getting 7.5 mpg with the avalanche. Is this the normal mpg? I also noticed the eng temp going up when I was climbing a grade on I10 going at 70mph. I slowed down when I noticed it but is that suppose to happen too? I'm wondering cause my avalanche didn't do that
L2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 AM   #2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2C
I towed my boat this weekend with the 87 tune from 5star. The power was there. It felt like the boat wasn't even on the truck. It's a 28 foot boat and the dry weight is 5k lbs. i got about 6 mpg on it. I was hoping I would get 10mpg. I had an avalanche that I traded in for the f150 eb. I was getting 7.5 mpg with the avalanche. Is this the normal mpg? I also noticed the eng temp going up when I was climbing a grade on I10 going at 70mph. I slowed down when I noticed it but is that suppose to happen too? I'm wondering cause my avalanche didn't do that
Picture of windsail?
Old 09-03-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
L2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcain View Post
Picture of windsail?
I don't know how to post pics
Old 09-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I tow almost 9K of fifth wheel with the Livernois tow tune and have never seen my trans temp budge from the middle on a long grade. But then, trailer tires are only rated to 65 so I set cruise on 60 mph and get 10 mpg.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 09-04-2012 at 09:03 AM.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #5
L2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I tow almost 9K of fifth wheel with the Livernois tow tune and have never seen my trans temp budget from the middle on a long grade. But then, trailer tires are only rated to 65 so I set cruise on 60 mph and get 10 mpg.
My trans temp was good. It was my eng temp gauge going up. Usually it's less than half mark then it went up to 3/4 mark
Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2C View Post
I towed my boat this weekend with the 87 tune from 5star. The power was there. It felt like the boat wasn't even on the truck. It's a 28 foot boat and the dry weight is 5k lbs. i got about 6 mpg on it. Is this the normal mpg?
Depends on exactly what the tuner did to achieve the extra horses. But yeah, dragging a 5k boat at 70 MPH is going to give you awful MPG regardless of the tune. With my stock tune and draggng my 5k TT @ 62 MPH, I get about 9 to 9.5 MPG on the flats.

Quote:
I also noticed the eng temp going up when I was climbing a grade on I10 going at 70mph. I slowed down when I noticed it but is that suppose to happen too? I'm wondering cause my avalanche didn't do that
Your Chebby wasn't turbo-charged, and it has a lot bigger normally-aspirated engine. When you work the EcoBoost twin turbos hard, such as towing at 70 MPH, your engine is going to creat a whole bunch of heat. If I expected to work mine that hard, especially with an aftermarket tune, I'd first want a good aftermarket coolant temp gauge that tells me the actual coolant temp, and I'd want a pyrometer to tell me how much heat the pistons were throwing at the turbos (exhaust gas temp). With those gauges, you might decide that you either have to slow down, or maybe use a different tune for towing.
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2C View Post
My trans temp was good. It was my eng temp gauge going up. Usually it's less than half mark then it went up to 3/4 mark
That stays right in the middle for me as well.
2011 Ford F-150 XLT Candy Red Metallic 3.5L EcoBoost, SuperCrew 4x4, Max Tow, 5'7" Box, BedRug, Truxedo Lo Pro QT, SuperSprings, Bilstein HD shocks, Southern Speed Inc tuned, Full-Race Resonated Exhaust, Wagner Tuning IC, Reese 16K fiver hitch, Mohr Mfg SpareBumper
Cougar High Country 299RKS with Reese Sidewinder pin box
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:03 AM