Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with the 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Towing with the 5.0

I Just bought a 2011 f150 xlt with the 5.0 and the tow package. I was wondering what people were experiencing while towing how much they were towing and what they were towing. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Should be just as capable as the 5.4L was with its numbers. Kinda excited that Ford offered 2 other engines even more capable than what the 5.4 was. Really wanna swing through a dealer and check out a 6.2 and 3.5 eco but don't want to fall in love with one just yet. Wanna run my '08 5.4 for a few years, pick up another reg cab cummins for serious duty before looking for probly an ecoboost for the 1/2 ton purposes. The 5.0 seems to be the most popular engine on most things in lots these days. Hope it does good.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 AM
HOPEFUL

Received 266 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by wintersucks
Wanna run my '08 5.4 for a few years, pick up another reg cab cummins for serious duty before looking for probly an ecoboost for the 1/2 ton purposes.

kind of a hi-jack here, but with the towing capability, why the desire for 2 trucks? seems like such a waste of $$$$ to me. what are you towing and how often are you doing it?
Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The need for a HD truck for farm tasks, something I don't have to worry about getting in dirty. Don't tow real often, but when I do a half ton really isn't gonna cut it. The interest in an ecoboost is just that, I may not like it. I may go to a mini truck for daily, and a cummins for heavy work. Even the half ton is really over worked if I'm dragging a gravity box of say, corn to the elevator. One of those grain alone is around 16-17K. Cattle trailer will hold 8-10 feeders or cows, know one wants to fight loading the cattle in more trips to the stockyard or a pasture for summer than they have too. (1k+ each), probly part of the reason the old f150 with overloads developed a cracked frame after 20 years of doing this. Need something that the 25' flatbed will tow safely with equipment or hay. Hell my skid steer gets drug from our farm to the fiances folks place, grandparents place (6300lbs just the machine). Add in a bumper tow trailer and I'm already nearly at the max of what they say this truck can handle with 18" rims. While it does carry it pretty well, along with the cattle and gooseneck flatbed trailer its still overweight at times. For myself and the fiance we currently have 3 f150's and an avalanche. Only one that is on its way out (because the frame rail cracked on one side over the rear axle) is my old '91.
I guess I just wanted a newer truck that was pretty capable, but still need a tougher truck that I don't worry about getting cow crap, or anything else in with an 8ft box.

Last edited by wintersucks; 06-10-2012 at 05:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Towing with the 5.0