Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing with a 2009 F150 FX4

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Towing with a 2009 F150 FX4

Hey,

New to the forum, left the Ford Expedition forums after selling my 05 Eddie Bauer Expediton.

Just picked up this truck on the weekend. Next weekending starting the TT shopping. Was looking at Expy's, Yukons, and Suburbans and finally gave up trying to find the right SUV for the right price and all the add-ins for towing at a decent price. Decided to go the truck route for ease of towing. Also saved about $10k over the SUV and got a nicely finished interior and the truck has 70,000 kms on it.

Anyway, here's the specs on the truck, how much can I tow with this?

Primary Features
Build Date: 09.06.2009
Vehicle Line: F150
Body Style: Double Cab (3/4 Door)
Version: 150Engine: 5.4L 3V V8
Transmission: 6 Speed Automatic Trans (6R80)
Drive: LHD 4WD (PTD)
Axle Ratio: 3.73
Emission: With 49 State/Non Green State ReqAir Conditioning:
High Capacity Air Conditioner
Paint: Ebony (Solid C/C)
Minor Features
  • Charcoal Black Interior
  • Apache Weave (A-L)
  • Front Door Scuff Plates
  • Stone Cuffs-Front MIC Black
  • With Rear Mic Black Stone Cuffs
  • Less Load Bars
  • Less Bed Divider
  • Less Front Load Bar
  • Decal - FX4
  • With Conventional Tailgate
  • With 5.5' Styleside Box
  • With Pick-Up Tie Hook - Inner
  • Less Pickup Box Extender
  • With Base Payload Package
  • 145"/3675MM Wheelbase
  • FX 4/Image And Power Off Road
  • FX4 Plus Package
  • Dearborn Plant Build
  • Less Special Equipment Package
  • FX4 Sales Badge
  • With Power Equipment Group
  • With Memory Package III
  • Feature Content Group 2
  • With On-Board Diagnostic System
  • "US" Tailgate Badge
  • English/French NAS Language Label
  • English NAS Owner Handbook
  • Less Fuel Label
  • With Power Front Windows
  • With Electric Rear Quarter Window
  • With Privacy Glass
  • With Power Sliding Rear Window
  • Less Heated Rear Window
  • Mini Overhead Console W/Stor
  • Flow Through Console With Armrest
  • Less Floor Mat Kit
  • Adjustable Accl/Brake Foot Pedals
  • Front Floor Rubber Mats
  • Rear Floor Rubber Mat
  • With Carpet Floor Covering
  • With Illuminated Sunvisor - Drivers
  • With Illuminated Sunvisor-Passenger
  • Less Load Area Cover
  • Running Board - Eliptical Chrome
  • With Body Coloured Front Grille
  • With Grey Wheel Lip Moulding
  • Less Side Auxiliary Step
  • Electrochromic Mirror - Video Cap
  • With Driver Electric/Heated Mirror
  • With Pass Convex Elec/Heated Mirror
  • Ext Mirror Finish - Gloss
  • With Signal Mirror System
  • Less Adhesive Mirror Backing
  • With Side Curtain Airbag
  • With Drivers Heated Seat
  • With Heated Passenger Seat
  • 2 Row-H/Ser Flip Up W/Elon Cushion
  • Less 2nd Row Folding Armrests
  • With Driver 10 Way Pwr Seat Adjust
  • With Pass 10 Way Power Seat Adjust
  • With Load Leveling Trailer Towing
  • With Front Towing Hook
  • Less Fuel Economy Pack
  • Exterior Door Handle - A - Gloss
  • With Central Locking System
  • With Door Entry Remote Control Unit
  • With Keyless Entry System
  • With Variable Intermittent Windscreen Wiper
  • Power Tilt/Slide Sun Roof
  • Moonroof Sw Open/Close One Touch
  • Less Tu-Tone Accent Colour
  • Less Body Tu-Tone Paint
  • Front Bumper Painted Accent Colour
  • Rear Bumper - Step Body Colour
  • With Front Licence Plate Bracket
  • With Driver Air Bag
  • With Passenger Air Bag
  • With 18" Steel Spare Wheel
  • Tyre Pressure Sensors - 315 MHZ
  • Premium Off Road Frt Shock Absrbers
  • Premium Off Road Rr Shock Absorbers
  • With 20" X 8.5 Aluminium Wheel
  • P275/55R20 A/T OWL Tyre
  • Spare Tyre - LT275/65R18 A/T OWL
  • Market Road Condition - General
  • With Super Engine Cooling System
  • Immersion Heater Engine
  • With 49 State/Non Green State Req
  • Less Elect Locking Differential
  • With 9.75" Axle
  • Single Exhaust
  • Less Exhaust Pipe Extension
  • With 4 Wheel Disc-Brake
  • Integrated Brake Control
  • 4 Wheel Anti-Lock Braking System
  • Roll Stability Control (RSC) Brakes
  • Normal Fuel Fill
  • Less Fuel Kit - FIA
  • Less In-Dash Internet Device-FIA
  • Less Tracking System - FIA
  • Less Remote Starter - FIA
  • Heavy Duty Aux Trans Oil Cooler
  • Electric Trans Case With IWE'S
  • With Skid Plates
  • Extended Range Single Fuel Tank
  • Non Locking Capless Fuel Fill
  • FFV-(Ethanol) Fuel
  • With Tilt Steering Wheel
  • Leather Steering Wheel
  • With Speed Control
  • Redundant Controls - Steering Wheel
  • With KMH/MPH Speedometer
  • With Tachometer
  • Display - Compass/Thermometer
  • Less Message Centre
  • Customer Info Display - Package 1
  • With Reverse Proximity Sensor
  • Heavy Duty Battery
  • Branded AM/FM/MP3/6 CD In Dash
  • With Satellite Radio Reception
  • With NAAO Radio Frequency
  • With Radio Subwoofer
  • With Media Gateway Module
  • Rear View Camera-Fixed
  • With Daytime Running Lamps
  • With Bright Headlamps
  • With Front Fog Lamps
  • With Illuminated Entry
  • Tail lamps - Level 1
  • With Automatic Headlamp On/Off
  • Ebony (Solid C/C)
  • Generic Country Group 2
  • 4L34 5310 UA Left Front Coil
  • 4L34 5310 UA Right Front Coil
  • 9L34-5560-GA Left Rear Leaf
  • 9L34-5560-GA Right Rr Leaf Springs
  • (+)"CDN"
  • (-)"N"
  • (-) GVMT Service Administration
  • (-)"USA"
  • (-)"GU"
  • (-)"BRN"
  • (-)"BZ"
  • (-)"IS"
  • (-)"ATG"
  • (-)"NCL"
  • (-)"AW"
  • Less Fleet

Last edited by Gigantapithicus; 03-16-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:27 AM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

I will just toss a couple numbers out since some vital info is missing, and I am basing this on my 2010 I had which is essentially the same driveline except I had a 3.55 gearing, not 3.73- which will work to your benefit. First and foremost though, look in your owners manual. It has a chart that will list all of this information based on your trim level, wheel base, etc. GCWR and maximum towing capacity (which requires a class IV receiver, weight distribution hitch, and trailer brake control) which your options show you have, as well as the transmission and upgraded engine cooling. Although it makes no mention of a towing package there? That almost looks like max tow, but I didn't think you could get that with the FX4? Somebody may be able to clarify that for me.

Look for something in the 5-6000 lbs range. This is only a guess based on the trim level. Higher trim= heavier truck= less available tow capacity. IIRC- some of the FX4's had a pretty dismal tow capacity based on the trim level. My XTR (an XLT trim with chrome goodies) was 6180lbs with a full 36G tank but without any passengers- but I had added some options to it- heavy sub, huge skid plates, extra leaf spring, heavier rubber, roll up cover. With my family fully loaded with another 400lbs of junk in the bed, I was at or over the 7200lbs GVWR for the tow vehicle- didn't even have the tongue weight factored in, so we were "overloaded"- technically, and my TT was 5600lbs loaded for the road- a far cry from the 9600lbs tow rating of the truck.

So, easiest place to start- look at the placard inside your door. It will state "maximum weight of cargo and occupants" or something similar. Once you have that, figure out how much you weigh plus anything else you will have in your truck before you hitch a trailer. Once you have a rough estimate of that, then you can tell what size to start looking at based on tongue weight- and don't use the dry weights of the trailer. Some call them optimistic. I call them flat out BS.

So, if you have 1200lbs total (on that sticker) and you subtract what you think you, and any other cargo you carry will weight (say 600lbs total) then you have a remainder of 600lbs. If you then divide that 600lbs by .15 (maximum tongue weight for a travel trailer) you will come up with the approximate GCWR of the trailer to look for

So, in this example- it would be a 4000lbs GVWR (fully loaded) trailer.

Length- it has some grey rules. I was comfortable with 26', and tried some larger ones- and 26' was as high as I was comfortable with on the back of that truck. Try this: wheel base divided by 5= trailer length in feet. So, a 145" wheel base divided by 5 equals 29'. That is the longest you should look at for stability.

The numbers above are completely fictional and based on the likely 7200lbs GVWR on a 4x4. Just a guess, but the theory is the same across the board. This is all to show you how to start your estimating- but nothing will beat an actual trip over the scales to see what your rig weighs ready to roll before you hitch the trailer on- full tank of fuel, passengers, pets, kids, tools, chairs, whatever you would carry on the truck.

On a side note- watch your axle ratings. It's easy to overload those.

After you get the estimating done, the fun part starts

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 03-17-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Smurfs sure coverd the subject well, above. As he mentioned there is some info missing. If you look up the F150 towing capabilities on the internet, it will help you alot. You need to know which tow pkg you have.....regular or the heavy duty. With the size tires you have, it would sure sound to me like the heavy duty tow package. You should have to tow mirrors as well........they are among the best made.
I drive a 2010 XLT with some of the same equipment, tow a 25' trailer, about 6,000# fully loaded and it is a great combination. One slight difference, is that mine has the 3.55 gears, but still does the job very well!!!
Good Luck!!!! We'd love to hear what you do next. Keep us informed.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM

Thanks for the great replies guys. I'll check out the door and stuff when I get home, go through the manual etc. Apologies as I thought that list showed it had the trailer tow package. For some reason it doesn't, however here's the window sticker

Old 03-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by Gigantapithicus
Thanks for the great replies guys. I'll check out the door and stuff when I get home, go through the manual etc. Apologies as I thought that list showed it had the trailer tow package. For some reason it doesn't, however here's the window sticker

Nicely optioned truck

Just a heads up- it looks like you have some pretty weighty options on that guy. Might cut into your trailer sizing a bit, but don't let it spook you- max tow is definitely a good option to offset a bit of that.

Last edited by smurfs_of_war; 03-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM

Received 315 Likes on 239 Posts

Default 11200lbs I think.

11,200lbs of trailer weight according to my 2009 owner's manual. Check your door sticker for its cargo weight rating though and follow smurf's true trailering weights, rather than the manual's theoretical maximums.
Mine was just the XTR with regular trailer tow.
Attached Thumbnails Towing with a 2009 F150 FX4-trailer.jpg   Towing with a 2009 F150 FX4-trailer1.jpg  

Last edited by tcp2; 03-17-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Smurfs has given you a fantastic explanation of your next steps. $8520 in options! Wow someone went for all bling, bling. Those 3.77 will be a friend when you start hauling.

Welcome to the board!
Old 03-17-2014, 03:47 PM

Thanks guys - you're all so nice :

Yeah, pretty happy with it, and excited about picking up this afternoon. Paid $23k before taxes, thinking it was a decent deal. Took all day for the bartering to complete.

I'll follow everything smurfs said and figure it out.

I did run the numbers myself prior and thought it was the 11,200 but when it comes to something like this I'd like a double, triple and quadruple check. I read through that other thread about Dealers sometimes not knowing what they're selling which is what I found a lot of with the earlier SUV shopping. I was spending too much time running VINs and spec sheets that I wasn't paying attention to the actaul vehicles/prices and whether they looked good. It can really be an overwhelming process if you're trying to cover all your bases.

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That looks like my '09 sticker, with the exception, mine's a Lariat. I just bought an '10 GulfStream(29fks); 34' long; 6400lbs. dry; "?" I'm taking it to a scale when the weather breaks, just be sure. But, I didn't have a problem towing from a dealer in OH. to my home in MD. Maybe a little sluggish going up some mountains, but not bad. NOW.. after ready almost every towpage in the forums here, I have installed a K/N air intake; SI/DO flow40 exhaust; & soon, before the season is here, a SCT livewire tuner. Only reason we went with a TT 'cause I have a P.E. bed cover. Before this TT (back in the day), our first camper was a 5'r. with an '04 5.4 (4spd) 3:73r.. 8k lbs. dry Towed it great. Make sure you look at the data sticker (inside cabinet door&outside near hitch) weighting options. Only carry about 5gals. of water while traveling for emerg. bthrm. breaks... especially for the wife/kids. Watch over packing! You don't need a crap load of stuff, just for a few days or a week. You'll be fine. And the best part.. Shopping for the TT. It's all about the floor plan. Wifey is a realtor. Buying a TT. is like buying a house. Think about what you want in a floor plan. Look online at several diff. bands. Most of them have about the same plans, with only slight changes. Kit. in the front/mid/back? Sleeps 4-8? Oh yea, one Thing.. If you go too small, or no slide, etc., you'll be thinking upgrade next season! Along the same reasons as buying a boat. Too small, you'll want to go bigger next yr. Buyer's remorse? Everybody denies it, unfortunately it's true! Don't worry-Be a happy camper! Fun for the whole family. Especially for the kids! Ours loved it. They still do it, even now that they're married.

Last edited by SteelToe; 03-17-2014 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Forgot the floorplan too
Old 03-17-2014, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigantapithicus
Thanks guys - you're all so nice :

Yeah, pretty happy with it, and excited about picking up this afternoon. Paid $23k before taxes, thinking it was a decent deal. Took all day for the bartering to complete.

I'll follow everything smurfs said and figure it out.

I did run the numbers myself prior and thought it was the 11,200 but when it comes to something like this I'd like a double, triple and quadruple check. I read through that other thread about Dealers sometimes not knowing what they're selling which is what I found a lot of with the earlier SUV shopping. I was spending too much time running VINs and spec sheets that I wasn't paying attention to the actaul vehicles/prices and whether they looked good. It can really be an overwhelming process if you're trying to cover all your bases.

Thanks!
Oopps.. Forgot to tell you, check your door panel sticker for the GVWR. That is the most important number to me/ and the max. load on your tires.

Quick Reply: Towing with a 2009 F150 FX4