Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow package question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tow package question??

How hard is it to wire a 7 pin wiring harness in my truck and the brake controller inside the truck.it already has the 4 pin pug on the back

Ohhhh I have the 2012 Stx with the 5.0
Old 05-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Ask the parts person at your Ford parts counter if they have the 7+4 pin OEM trailer plugs with wiring harness that will plug-n-play to replace your 4-pin plug. It's a simple swap. The 7-wire harness is already available under the truck - the 4-pin harness plugs into it if you don't have the tow package. But with the tow package, the 4-pin plug is replaced by a 7+4 pin plug combo, so it's easy to replace your 4-pin plug with the 7+4 pin plug if you buy the right part.

Since you don't have the factory towing pkg, then you'll also need to add a fuse and relay under the hood before the 7-pin plug will work right. Instructions should come with your new 7+4 pin plug/wiring harness.

If you hate paying Ford's OEM prices for parts, eTrailer.com has aftermarket 7-pin plugs with a short harness that will also plug into the 7-wire harness under your truck.

If you want to add the Ford integrated trailer brake controiller (ITBC), the wiring/plug is already under the dash. You need to buy the controller, then have your dealer install it and "flash" the truck's computer so it will recognize the ITBC.

BTW, I have the ITBC and it's great!

If you want to use some other trailer brake controller, plug it in under the dash, then follow the instructions that come with the controller.

Last edited by smokeywren; 05-16-2015 at 09:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just used a 7 pin from the auto parts store. Made a harness to plug my factory flat 4 into it and ran the other wires. Installed a good controller and ordered a pigtail from amazon... Easy and simple
Old 05-17-2015, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks guys great help!

Quick Reply: Tow package question??