Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow package!???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tow package!???

Is there a way I can figure out what tow package I have? It has hill start , active control , trailer sway and tow/haul. But I'm not sure what package it has because it had all the stuff I listed but no hitch on it.

2012 STX 5.0L 4x4
Old 02-18-2015, 09:57 AM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

MaxTow specs include the upgraded class IV hitch, integrated brake controller, auxiliary transmission cooler, super cooling radiator, and usually GVWR around the 7700-7800# mark

Last edited by Jeriko; 02-18-2015 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Campese04
Is there a way I can figure out what tow package I have? It has hill start , active control , trailer sway and tow/haul.

If by "active control" you mean roll stability control (RSC), then all those functions are standard on all 2012 F-150s. So you don't have any trailer towing package.

The regular 2012 Trailer Tow Package (order code 535) that was optional on your STX includes:

☺ Class IV trailer hitch receiver. Class IV means it is rated for at least 1,000 pounds maximum tongue weight with a weight-distributing hitch.

☺ 7-pin wiring harness with 7-pin RV trailer plug near the receiver.

☺ Upgraded radiator to a "super cooling" radiator

☺ Auxiliary transmission oil cooler

☺SelectShift Transmission. Look at the gear indicator in your dash. If it does not include "M" for manual gear selection, then you don't have the Select Shift transmission.

But I'm not sure what package it has because it had all the stuff I listed but no hitch on it.

You don't have the Ford optional regular trailer towing package. You can add the receiver, wiring harness with RV trailer plug, and the tranny cooler, and you can replace the radiator with a "super cooling" radiator. And you should do just that before you tow anything heavier than a rowboat. The only thing you cannot easily upgrade is the transmission to get the SelectShift capability. However, with the added tranny cooler, I don't know any reason you might need the "paddle-shifter" transmission.

Ford offered two other towing packages on the 2012 F-150, but they were part of the max tow package or the HD payload package, and not a stand-alone option.

Last edited by smokeywren; 02-18-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 02-18-2015, 04:29 PM

I looked where the hitch would be and I have a wire harness it's not the round one it's like straight in a line with pins and I found out I have the 3.55 backend
Old 02-18-2015, 07:17 PM
Grumpy Old Man

I looked where the hitch would be and I have a wire harness it's not the round one it's like straight in a line with pins and I found out I have the 3.55 backend

Yeah, that flat 4-wire plug is what we call a "U-Haul trailer plug". If your trailer has that same plug, then the trailer tail lights, brake lights, turn signal lights and running lights will all work.

The 7-wire RV plug adds the electric trailer brake control circuit, 12-volt "hot" wire to charge the break-away battery or RV battery in the trailer, and another 12-volt hot wire called the "auxiliary" hot wire that is not normally connected to anything. The auxiliary 12-volt wire can be used for something like a porch light, or a utility light near the hitch, but is often used for backup lights on the trailer.
Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 PM

So I can only basically put a hitch on the truck and tow only things smaller than a travel trailer like a john boat or a pop-up camper.?
Old 02-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Grumpy Old Man

So I can only basically put a hitch on the truck and tow only things smaller than a travel trailer like a john boat or a pop-up camper.?

Without spending some money on upgrades, that's true.

As a minimum you must have a class IV receiver. If you order a Curt receiver from etrailer.com, be sure you order the one for the F-150 that did not come with a factory receiver.

Next you need the wiring harness that includes the 7-pin plug. You can also order that from etrailer.com or amazon.com or from your Ford dealer's parts department.

You might "get by" without a WD hitch, and you might not burn up the tranny or engine if you don't install the tranny cooler or super cooling radiator. Depends on how much of a gambler you are. I don't gamble with other peoples' lives or with burning up my tranny or engine, so I have all that stuff on my F-150 so I can tow up to 7,000 pounds safely and with no problems.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:15 PM

How expensive is the aux trans oil cooler ? And is it hard to install on ur own?
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Not too hard
https://www.f150forum.com/f82/added-...cooler-217865/
Old 02-22-2015, 04:50 PM

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

The standard tow rating is 5000lbs, anything above that requires the tow package as Smoke stated above. As for adding a tranny cooler, if you are in warranty you need to have a dealer install it or you will risk voiding your warranty if you should ever have a tranny problem.

Quick Reply: Tow package!???