Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow mirrors and leather seats

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 08:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow mirrors and leather seats

2 questions...
i have a 2012 lariat s/c with Chrome pkg (so chrome skull cap mirrors) and black leather.

What are you using for tow mirrors besides the factory tow mirrors. My concern is putting an aftermarket mirror over my mirrors...anyone use an aftermarket they are happy with?
Second question, what are you treating/cleaning your leather seats with? I have heard there is a coating already on them and no need to use any product beside warm water and mild soap.

Thanks
Old 02-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,124 Likes on 2,830 Posts

ive always used lexol..every leather seat needs some kind of conditioner or it will dry out and crack
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Second the Lexol. Been using it for years and it's a wonderful product.
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

Imo, the slide-on tow mirrors have always felt cheap and flimsy to me. I had a 1996 chebby silverado with them, and they vibrated so badly at hiway speed that they were useless. I understand the aversion to the tow mirrors - big, bulky, kinda in the way. But the visibility you gain from them is well worth the bulkiness. If you have power folding in your regular mirrors, you could upgrade to a set of power folding tow mirrors. 1AAuto has them for relatively cheap, considering how much they cover and the extra marker light on the outside. When I got my last truck (2012 sierra) one of the first things I did was upgrade the mirrors. Now I refuse to own a truck without them.

And another +1 to the Lexol. My brother used it in his BMW's and he's always had fantastic results.
The following users liked this post:
1Aauto (02-26-2015)
Old 02-24-2015, 12:47 AM

Received 129 Likes on 107 Posts

I don't have the chrome mirrors, but I use the K-Source slip-on mirrors. I am well pleased with them. I do have to adjust them every I put them on because I usually manage to move the mirror some taking it off and reinstalling it. I didn't want to push the huge permanent towing mirrors through the air for the most of the time that I am not towing.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by maxtowbrad
2 questions...
i have a 2012 lariat s/c with Chrome pkg (so chrome skull cap mirrors) and black leather.

What are you using for tow mirrors besides the factory tow mirrors. My concern is putting an aftermarket mirror over my mirrors...anyone use an aftermarket they are happy with?
Second question, what are you treating/cleaning your leather seats with? I have heard there is a coating already on them and no need to use any product beside warm water and mild soap.

Thanks
I bought a set of pwr/htd/puddle/signal tow mirrors for my dads '06 from A1 I believe and they are as solid as my '08 factory tow mirrors. Only difference is the passenger side glass. It is standard vision glass that takes a little getting used to the smaller view area compared to what the factory puts in. Where are you located? I still have them sitting in the garage, I put the factory Lariat mirrors back on when he sold it. Supposedly they are possibly suppose to fit trucks as new as yours. A call to A1 would answer the question too I guess.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfllmn
ive always used lexol..every leather seat needs some kind of conditioner or it will dry out and crack
Does anyone know where you can buy this in Canada?
Old 02-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Official Bass Slapper

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts

there's the tried-and-true Amazon.ca

Lexol 1115 Leather pH Cleaner Spray,16.9-Ounce, 500ml: Amazon.ca: Automotive Lexol 1115 Leather pH Cleaner Spray,16.9-Ounce, 500ml: Amazon.ca: Automotive

Lexol 1015 Leather Conditioner,16.9-Ounce Spray, 500ml: Amazon.ca: Automotive Lexol 1015 Leather Conditioner,16.9-Ounce Spray, 500ml: Amazon.ca: Automotive

I hear some Canadian Tire's have it, but most tack stores should carry it, since a lot of saddles and other miscellaneous gear require quality leather care. All of the Lammle's I've gone to in Calgary carry it.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:16 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Read the "cleaning" section of your F-150 Owner's Guide.

Unless your F-150 is a King Ranch, then you don't have real leather seat covers. The Lariat "leather" seat covers are coated with a plastic coating. To clean Lariat seat covers, scrub them with mild soap and water - the same as any plastic or vinyl seat covers. The leather protectants/conditioners are useless for the plastic coated seat covers.

However, if you have a King Ranch, then you have real leather without a plastic coating. That's were the products such as Lexol work great. Also, you can use the tried-and-true saddle soap that any saddle and leather harness shop should carry.

Last edited by smokeywren; 02-24-2015 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:16 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Walmart, canadian tire, Lammlies, some leather outlets. I got mine at a seat cover place. Zaino.ca carries it. And just google Lexol Canada and you can find some whatever city you're in

Quick Reply: Tow mirrors and leather seats