Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow/haul doesnt downshift, ever

Old 03-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tow/haul doesnt downshift, ever

I have a 2009 F150 XLT Supercab 4.6l (vin-8) 6-speed-AT, my "TOW/HAUL" feature doesn't work. I can click the button all day long with the amber tow/haul annunciation light on the dash lighting up and off and on and off.
But never keeps it out of overdrive or downshifts with the TOW/HAUL light illuminated.

I tow a 6,000# trailer and it's important that this tow/haul feature works. I asked my neighbor who has a F150 platinum which also has the tow/haul feature on the shift lever if I could drive his, and his also doesn't downshift while approaching a stop or downshift out of overdrive while on the highway. What am I missing here? Do I need to be traveling down a Colorado Rockies grade with a trailer attached for it to work? I tow in flat, Dallas, Texas.

I manually downshift right now and would like NOT to. I use the 4-way trailer light plug. Do I need to be using the 7-way light plug for the tow/haul feature to work? Or what...

I have no options in the dash computer menu. Just trailer sway and auto door locks and oil change options.

I have read my owners manual. It says nothing to help my issue. I have also searched other threads but they're all about the light on the dash not working. My dash light works. So those threads don't help me.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by bravogolf; 03-25-2013 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 PM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

All Tow/Haul does is keep gears engaged longer. This prevents constant/frequent shifting of gears and heating up transmission. I know it doesn't prevent you from going in to 6th (OD). And I don't think it causes downshifting, though it may be part of the data that the computer uses to know when to downshift.
To keep out of Overdrive, set your gearing at 5.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts

The six speed auto isn't like the tow haul of old.

Is it lugging when you think it should downshift?

Are you saying it sticks in sixth or are you saying it doesn't downshift when you think it should?

When th is on, the torque converter will stay locked much longer. And it will keep load up to 90+% before downshifting.

So, if you are cruising along in sixth and hit a hill and you feel it start slowing down, it won't downshift even when you start giving more gas?

Sorry for the questions but your description of the problem is a bit confusing.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Cobra#2771
The six speed auto isn't like the tow haul of old.

Is it lugging when you think it should downshift?

Are you saying it sticks in sixth or are you saying it doesn't downshift when you think it should?

When th is on, the torque converter will stay locked much longer. And it will keep load up to 90+% before downshifting.

So, if you are cruising along in sixth and hit a hill and you feel it start slowing down, it won't downshift even when you start giving more gas?

Sorry for the questions but your description of the problem is a bit confusing.
He's saying it doesn't help him slow down on the backside of a grade or coming to a stop-light
Old 03-25-2013, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by jcain
He's saying it doesn't help him slow down on the backside of a grade or coming to a stop-light
Correct jcain, thanks for choosing my side

. And when I am at freeway speed approaching a slight uphill grade, I have to use the gas pedal to get it out of overdrive prior to starting the hill climb. All other vehicles I have used to tow have: kept it out of overdrive; and has downshifted (for example on a freeway off ramp) all the way from 4th gear to 1st or 2nd keeping rpms high above 3500 for engine braking. This issue bugs me so much that when I tow I mess around with the TOW/HAUL button several times trying to find if it does anything while: flat and steady speed, climbing a grade, and descending a hill. And it doesn't do anything but put an amber light on my dash and trying to figure ur from other f150 owners if their does anything.

Someone above mentioned for me to set something to "5" I can't set anything to five. I don't have electric braking, my trailer has a hydraulic brake actuator, so if you're saying to set my electric brake cooler to 5 I can't do that. And I can't put the 6spd transmission into 5th if that is what your stating. I have 1, 2, 3 and D. No 5th gear. I'm so confused.

Any spelling errors are the responsibility of Apple engineers.

Last edited by bravogolf; 03-25-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The F-150 transmission does not do the same as the F-250. With the F-250 in tow/haul mode you can tap the brakes and it will immediately downshift one gear to help slow you down. Will not happen on the F-150. Like humblerb stated it only holds the gears longer on upshifts to help get the load going till you get to a steady speed. If and when it does downshift it will do the same again till it gets to 6th or till your speed is steady. The newer transmissions will let you select to hold a gear if it has the Manual Mode selector. The reason I know this, I use to have an '09 F-150 before I got the '11 F-250.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:47 PM

I have an 11 with tow/haul and yes it does downshift while going downhill and you tap the brakes or while in cruise and start to exceed the set speed.

I can't remember if does it on flats I only recall it on downhill.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:11 PM

Thank you you guys for chiming in. Yes indeed the other tow vehicle I have had experience with towing was a V10 F250 which has a much better TOW/HAUL design. According to one source, my truck has a 10,000# towing capacity and i think Ford engineers dropped the ball on the F150 engine brake feature. Even on my girlfriend's ford escape, it has a downhill button feature and it definitely has more downshifting than on my F150. Seems odd! I don't understand the design. Since I live in the Texas flat land, maybe I won't notice much help from the tow/haul. It sounds like I won't need a transmission inspection. I appreciate everyone's comments.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zak21
I have an 11 with tow/haul and yes it does downshift while going downhill and you tap the brakes or while in cruise and start to exceed the set speed.

I can't remember if does it on flats I only recall it on downhill.
Mine behaves like this as well.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have 2010 version of same. I am pretty sure yours is working, albeit differently from what you expect...

1. It changes the PCM mapping for shift points and other shift dynamics.
2. It *enables* intelligent engine braking - when you suggest it with brake tap (once or twice) AND it deems that conditions require it.

#1 does *not* keep it out if overdrive.
#2 works *amazingly* well with heavy loads in the mountains!!!!! But you'll not think it is doing anything in Texas - not even on I-20 Ranger Hill. And as soon as you barely touch the gas it freewheels again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow/haul doesnt downshift, ever