Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow/Haul button on a NON-tow package truck, what's it do??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Tow/Haul button on a NON-tow package truck, what's it do??

I searched, really, I promise. Lots of info out there on trucks WITH a tow package, not so much for us DYI guys that added on towing stuff...

I have a 2013 STX, low options. Truck didn't come with any factory or dealer added tow package. I added the receiver, factory controller, wiring, etc. So, then what is the tow/haul button doing for me?? It doesn't lock out 6th gear, tho I wish it would. All I can tell it might be doing (unless it's the controller) is gearing down to engine brake a little.

Towing about 7000# of trailer and race car. So far, the trans temps have been just fine so I didn't add a trans cooler. Engine temps are good too, haven't seen a need for the heavy duty radiator yet.
Old 10-29-2016, 10:50 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Typically the TH changes the shift point in the tranny to a higher RPM and will also lock-up the TQ convertor in the tranny...
The following users liked this post:
SpeedViktm (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 11:04 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

And yes, it is doing the engine braking also.
SpeedViktm (10-29-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 09:31 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedViktm
So, then what is the tow/haul button doing for me?? It doesn't lock out 6th gear, tho I wish it would. All I can tell it might be doing (unless it's the controller) is gearing down to engine brake a little.

All we know about the tow/haul mode is contained your Owner's Guide - in the "Automatic Transmission Operation" section which is near the back of the book in the "Driving" section. Scroll down until you see the "D (drive) with Tow/Haul On" subsection. Basically it delays upshifts to reduce frequency of upshifts (thus reducing "hunting" between gears), and it provides some engine braking by automatic downshifting when coming down the mountain without the go pedal pressed.

Your STX without the towing pkg does not have the SelectShift tranny, so you don't have an "M" range and paddle shifters for manual shifting, or for locking out some gears. But you do have Tow/Haul mode, so any time you have more than a rowboat tied on, put the tranny in tow/haul mode. When coming down the mountain, tap the brakes once and then tow/haul will take over and do that automatic downshifting thing.

Next time, be sure your F-150 has at least the basic towing pkg, then you will have the SelectShift tranny with paddle shifters. Then you can "zoom, zoom" like a sports car driver. And lock out some gears if you think you're smarter than the computer that controls your drivetrain.
SpeedViktm (11-02-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 508 Likes on 358 Posts

What trim level has paddle shifters?
Old 10-29-2016, 11:42 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by msgtord
What trim level has paddle shifters?

The paddle shifters are part of the SelectShift tranny, and before the '15 model year the SelectShift tranny was part of the towing package.

I don't know about the '15-up models. The order guide no longer shows the SelectShift tranny as included with the regular towing pkg. It now shows the SelectShift tranny is standard in all trims, but not available with the base 3.5L V6 non-EcoBoost engine.

But for 2011-2014 the paddle shifters were std on FX and Lariat and above trims as part of the standard towing package. They were available on XL, STX and XLT as part of the optional regular towing pkg.

So for 2011-2014, all trim levels that have the standard or optional regular towing package or max towing package. Those towing packages are optional on XL , XLT and STX trim. The key word is "SelectShift" transmission. SelectShift trannies have paddle shifers. The upgrade to SelectShift tranny is included in all the towing packages for 2011 thru 2014 F-150s.

So for 2015-up, it looks like the SelectShift tranny is not available with the base V6 engine, regardless of trim or towing pkg, but is standard with all other engines.

I'll be happy if a Ford dealer vehicle order expert sets me straight.

Last edited by smokeywren; 10-29-2016 at 11:46 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
The paddle shifters are part of the SelectShift tranny, and before the '15 model year the SelectShift tranny was part of the towing package.

But for 2011-2014 the paddle shifters were std on FX and Lariat and above trims as part of the standard towing package. They were available on XL, STX and XLT as part of the optional regular towing pkg.

So for 2011-2014, all trim levels that have the standard or optional regular towing package or max towing package. Those towing packages are optional on XL , XLT and STX trim. The key word is "SelectShift" transmission. SelectShift trannies have paddle shifers. The upgrade to SelectShift tranny is included in all the towing packages for 2011 thru 2014 F-150s.
I have a 2013 F-150 XLT with the SelectShift transmission, and the Trailer Tow Package, but no paddle shifters, just the +/- buttons on the column shifter. I see no mention of them in the 2013 sales brochure, and "paddle" is not mentioned in the manual at all.

I don't know what caused them to be added, but I don't have them.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:27 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I have a 2013 F-150 XLT with the SelectShift transmission, and the Trailer Tow Package, but no paddle shifters, just the +/- buttons on the column shifter. I see no mention of them in the 2013 sales brochure, and "paddle" is not mentioned in the manual at all.

I don't know what caused them to be added, but I don't have them.
Yeah, I was using the term "paddle shifters" in a broad sense. The F-150 with SelectShift tranny has a +/- rocker switch, which acts like a paddle shifter, but that rocker switch is not as convenient to use as the true paddle shifters in my Miata. But without the SelectShift tranny, you don't get the "M' range or the +/- swich for manually shifting gears.

Last edited by smokeywren; 10-31-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:22 PM

Ah.

I would much rather have paddle shifters. Shifting with the button is fine while on the highway, but paddle shifters are lots more fun.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:02 PM
Gearhead

Received 754 Likes on 434 Posts

If I hit the t/h button twice, it puts mine in Sport mode.