Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tow Brakes

Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow Brakes

Was at a recent RV show and talking with sales person, i told him that i have a f150 with a 5.4l v8 and a tow package. He said that i need to find out if i have tow brakes. Why question is what are tow brakes and if i have a tow package are they already installed or is there something else i need to do.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM

Received 221 Likes on 178 Posts

I suspect what he was talking about was a TBC (Trailer Brake Controller).

If you have a "Tow Package" then you should have 4-pin and 7-pin connectors for the plug from a trailer, and a hitch that allows you to tow more than 5000 lbs. The 4-pin is just lights on a small utility trailer with no brakes, and the 7-pin will connect the TBC to the electric brakes on a trailer.

Some of the lower trim level trucks with a tow package won't have a TBC, and you might need to add one.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:23 PM
Senior Citizen

Received 49 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bmcn509299
Was at a recent RV show and talking with sales person, i told him that i have a f150 with a 5.4l v8 and a tow package. He said that i need to find out if i have tow brakes. Why question is what are tow brakes and if i have a tow package are they already installed or is there something else i need to do.
Installing an OEM trailer brake control is simple, it took ten minutes, then it has to be flashed by the dealer service department so the computer recognizes the device.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

To answer your question ("Are They Already Installed"):

Look at your dashboard. Do you see something that looks like this:

Name:  tbc.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  5.0 KB

If yes, you have a trailer brake controller and you just need a trailer with electric brakes to plug into your 7 pin adapter, and then learn how to use the TBC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tow Brakes