Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too much weight to tow with 5.0 V8????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much weight to tow with 5.0 V8????

I have a 2012 F150 SuperCab 4x4 with the following: 5.0 V8, 145" wheelabse, 3.55 rear end, 7350# GVWR package, trailer tow package, trailer sway control, factory installed hitch / receiver, (my truck came with the stuff to install electrical trailer tow, but it's currently not installed and is still in the bag).

Now for the question.....looking at purchasing a utility tractor with a front end loader / bucket on it. Tractor weighs about 6100 lbs. This tractor is 60 miles away and the route of travel is relatively flat with a few small hills. This would be a one time only trip / tow. I'd obviously prefer to pull something this size with a 3/4 ton truck and something like a 18' trailer that you'd put a skid steer on. My dad is convinced that my truck could handle this load, while I'm of the mindset that there's a big difference between getting something moving and safely / effectively towing it. Years of working in contruction / landscaping and towing skid steers and the like, has me thinking it's too much for my truck.....For the record, no I'm not able to borrow a truck and trailer set up from work.

So bottom line, is too much for my truck / set up? Thoughts? Thanks for any info you can provide....

Last edited by WiFord; 02-12-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:07 AM
Ambitious But Rubbish

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the trailer have brakes? That would be my biggest concern. You'll be fine with weight and an 18' trailer length is easy.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:14 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

If you review the posts in this section of the forum, you'll see that it's great that you're concerned.

Before you get to anything, the reality is that you cannot safely tow over 5,000 pounds without a weight distribution hitch. Assuming 15% of the weight is on the tongue, you'd have 915 pounds on it where the hitch is designed for 500 max unless you have a WDH. You can confirm this by reading the tag on the bottom of your hitch, just look under the bumper.

Payload capacity for your truck should be on a sticker inside the front door. That weight really drives most everything. Anything you added - tonneau cover, stuff in the bed, people in the truck, weight distribution hitch - all come off that weight. Then, you see if you have the capacity left to safely tow it.

Also, you said the tractor is 6,100 pounds. How much is the trailer it sits on?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:42 AM

Received 108 Likes on 86 Posts

As long as the trailer has brakes, you get that controller hooked up on your truck, then as long as the tractor is loaded properly, you will be perfectly fine. Drive carefully paying attention to the other idiots that want to cut you off and such. No need for a fancy weight distribution hitch especially if it is a one time deal. Now if you were planning to haul this load say once a week or so, then I would say yes invest in a good weight distribution hitch.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:46 PM

Received 211 Likes on 167 Posts

Properly position the tractor on the trailer, and assuming your trailer is not extraordinarily heavy, you will be fine. I tow a trailer, at or over 8000lbs often, granted its a gooseneck, but I have pulled over 9k.My truck is pretty nearly identical to yours down to gearing and engine. It handles the weight no problem and feels and handles safely while towing it.

Last edited by 5.0GN tow; 02-12-2016 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:18 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Where you place the tractor on the trailer will be critical. Too far forward and you have a payload capacity issue. Too far back and you have a trailer sway issue. You DO need some tongue weight. You DO need trailer brakes. You also need to keep your speed down.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the opinions / info..... I'm well aware that a piece of equipment loaded too far forward or backward can cause towing issues. I know I could move the trailer / tractor combo, but that's not the point- I don't want a wrecked truck when I get home. After doing some asking around locally, we've been able to find a couple locals who have bigger trucks and trailers and are just going to rent / borrow their set up for part of a day. Less issues to worry about, and I don't have to go buy a weight distrubiting hitch and / or any other stuff for a 1 time only haul. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Too much weight to tow with 5.0 V8????