Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires Squirming While Towing TT ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Master Fly Fisherman

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Tires Squirming While Towing TT ??

Factory tire is the SRA Goodyears. I have them aired up to max pressure and you still feel them squirm. To me it feels like the sidewalls as flexing a bunch. I first tried it with 36 psi and it was worse. So I aired them up to max psi.

Now I'm thinking of buying LT tires to help with this issue. Anyone tried it and what results did you get?? What kind of mileage decrease did you see. I don't plan on towing my TT a ton, so is it really worth it to you guys?

The TT is a 25' lightweight trailer with a max rating of 7000lb. I have it pretty much weighing in at about 5600 lbs. Tongue weight is a tad over 575lbs. I'm using a round bar Wd hitch with friction sway control. My brother followed me in some pretty bad crosswinds and he says the sway is minimal so I'm assuming the feeling I'm getting is from the sway control doing its job. I think a little more tongue weight couldn't hurt but everything else seems pretty good. Heights are good but I Could lower the ball one hole and make the trailer just a tad lower in front. The truck does have the tow package with factory brake controller and sway control. 7200lb pkg

I'm thinking of putting on a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo 2's. What I don't know is if I need to go to a LT tire or maybe even an E rated tire.

What is your guys opinions??

Rich
Attached Thumbnails Tires Squirming While Towing TT ??-image.jpg  

Last edited by Mizuri-Eco; 06-01-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't pull trailers with my f150. But I use to pull a lot if trailers with a f350 mainly big stick trailers or horse trailers. We always bought load range E tires they have stiffer side walls and more plys. I am not saying you need those type of tire but maybe see what load range you have and go up one. Good luck! Hope this helps some what.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:47 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

My gy at's squirmed like jello. They sucked for towing. And your tongue weight is a little low
Old 06-01-2013, 11:58 PM
Master Fly Fisherman

I can always load the TT before heading out on the road with more weight in the front of the trailer. The bars are 500lb to 800lb bars. The guys at the dealer had it set up on the last link on the chains and you could really feel it bucking.I moved it to the second to the last link and it all but eliminated all the harshness.

My thinking is to load up the TT more in the front and change to a better tire. These things are just a car tire.

Rich
Old 06-02-2013, 08:04 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Mizuri-Eco
My thinking is to load up the TT more in the front and change to a better tire. These things are just a car tire.
LT's will definitely help with that jello. So will moving more weight off the rear tires and onto the fronts with your WDH, if you're not at the max already. Ford recommends only reducing the front end lift by 1/2, but you could try completely eliminating it.

My switch to LT's improved my mileage a bit, but at the same time I reduced my wheel size from 20" to 17" to reduce weight and keep the cost down. 20" LTs are outrageously expensive.

Also my LTs are Highway All-Season Michelins LTX MS/2 which are "Green X" rated by Michelin, meaning they are a bit more fuel efficient I guess. But with a 4x4 you will probably want All-Terrains instead.

In general the regular F150's suspension is pretty soft for heavy loads and towing. As well as LT tires, many of us have stiffened the springs and upgraded our shocks.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Master Fly Fisherman

I'm not really dead set on an A/T tire. For as little as I use 4wd a hiway tread pattern would be just fine. I wasn't aware that Michelin had a LT tire on the MS/2 tire. That may be the option I'm looking for if I can get it with at least a C rating.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:42 AM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

If you are not overloaded the factory p metrics work just fine what you call tire squirm is more likely sway induced by improper weight dist. and hitch set up.
load your rig up and find a 'CAT" scale and weigh it then adjust the load and hitch to get your axle weights to specs and you will be fine
Old 06-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

A possibility - just recently a man posted some trailer towing tips. One of his tips was to always have the front of the trailer lower than the rear to help prevent sway. Your pic shows the front of your trailer slightly higher than the rear. You may want to try a 1 or 2 inch offset receiver to see if it helps. If so, much cheaper than tires. If you do not have one, you can possibly borrow from a friend.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:21 AM
Master Fly Fisherman

Joe M.,
That pic is with the truck on an uphill incline. It sits just a little lower in front at the frame measurements than in the rear. I could lower it a little more to help possibly. When I bought this trailer I was kinda skeptical of how it would tow with such a light tongue weight.

I'm almost certain what I'm feeling is tires like jello. My brother confirmed the lack of visible sway by following me on the road. I'm sure it could use a little fine tuning however though.

Last edited by Mizuri-Eco; 06-02-2013 at 10:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Tires Squirming While Towing TT ??